*Speculation* Could the Jets be gearing up to make a big trade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 17, 2022.

?

Offense or Defense?

1. Offense

2. Defense

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

In Davis' best season ever, 25 WR's had more yards than him. In Davis' second best season ever, 28 WR's had more yards than him.

He is nowhere near good enough, and that's me being extremely generous and using his two best seasons ever as examples. If I use his average yards per season then there are literally, and I'm not making this up, usually around 55 different WR's with more yards than him in a given season.

Let's get beyond whatever the definition of a #1 WR is. Davis isn't good enough for a team to be OK if he's the best receiver on their team. Not even close.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm just making the point that i'd rather have 4 davis's then 1 adams and 3 scrubs. Also that moore is our best WR and I think he has top 15 potential. and that we should add more in the draft and it's deep at WR. i'd like to take 2 one in the 2nd and one in the 3rd or 4th depending how things fall. A group of david and watson on the outside, moore in the slot, austin III and berrios as the 4 and 5 and I guess mims as the 6 seems pretty damn good to me

chandler and Noam like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

4. GasedAndConfused

no thank you

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

He played #2/3 w/ a bonafide #1 in AJ and had the leagues best run game.

REVISion likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, stats without context is just numbers.

cval and REVISion like this.
  7. REVISion

If we start taking WR's in the 2nd it is far more likely they'll end up being Davis' than Adams'.

I would also say that Moore becoming top 15 is a huge "if" and even if he does we still wouldn't have a good enough receiving unit because our TE's are still mediocre at best. We are so far being the top offenses in firepower it's not even funny.

Also don't bust out the stat about it being more likely to get a pro bowl WR in the 2nd round than the 1st. It's a faulty stat because it's based on raw number of pro bowlers and there have been more WR's selected in the second round than the first. When you break it down by %'s you're more likely to get a good WR in the first round than second.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD did some good things, but his CAP machinations are not yet on the level of Saints, Falcons, Bucks. Check below, Brady signs a 4 years extension, with 3 voidable years. WTF does that mean you ask? CAP hit is reduced to a few mil, saving 19 mil in CAP, even though he still got same amount of money, since bonus CAP is spread over 4 years, even though paid up front, and then 3 last years can be just "voided". To answer your question though, I am not sure exactly what that means, but once I see JD doing this shit, then I know he mastered the art of CAP manipulations.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Apple and Bananas. Brady is a very special case, he doesn’t give two shits about getting paid now, he can defer for ever, and has consistently worked deals like this even in NE. Money is not an issue, He just want to play for a top team and win now. This kind of bonus delay works for top teams ready to win now, and voidable if it fails, and the cap hit is deferred till the team is in a rebuild mode. Saints and Falcons might be going nowhere but down fast if they don’t start a better rebuild. Jets are not in that Universe.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Won't the Bucs still have to take the cap hit from the bonus over the next 4 years even if they void the contract? I think it's a way to help the Bucs take less of a cap hit this season while they're trying to win the Super Bowl, but it will still impact their cap down the road.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Adams got traded to the Raiders.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Why waste a pick when Douglas can sign a better LB in Za'Darius Smith. He just backed out of his contract with the Ravens. Hearing bad things about Hunter also that he might have mental issues. Hope he is getting help for that.

13. GasedAndConfused

thats actually not true
    https://www.milehighreport.com/2020...te-of-first-round-wide-receivers-this-century
    https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/stati...more-likely-in-the-2nd-round-than-the-1st-252

it's statistically shown that WRs in the 2nd have better success rates then that of the 1st and lower bust rates. the irony of your comment is that devonte adams himself was a 2nd rounder. you should do your research. adams success only proves my point and he's not the exception either

were still a building team with a lot of assets as far as money and picks. plus a lot rides on wilson. most of the explosive offenses aren't as stacked as you think. look at the bills they have diggs and an old ok sanders and some young no names and not even a great run game but they had the top offense. chiefs have mahomes, kelce, and hill and not much else. rodgers had adams and a run game but no other WR help. the reality is the top offenses have the best QBs and a good enough group of people around him overall. hill was a 5th rounder btw and kelce was a 3rd.

and i already busted out the stat. the % doesn't matter because you are targeting a specific person. like for instance if the pro bowl WR this year is christian watson who's likely a 2nd rounder and thats the guy you identified as a GM then it makes more sense to take him in the 2nd then to take a player others may think is better in the 1st.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

players would never allow it. The cap as it is allows teams to pay players huge up front money. In a sport where serious career ending injuries are very common, that increases the need for a player to get paid today instead of tomorrow. It’s why players hate the franchise tag. This isn’t baseball where serious injuries are not that common.

in the end, the cap is the same for all teams so you just need to understand it and work it. And yeah, because league revenues always go up (outside of the Covid impact which was unique), deferring cap hits to future years where the cap will likely be larger is a viable strategy.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly…stats are good for something but they don’t always tell the whole story….we could put up with some drops if Davis made the kind of impact these other guys made. He didn’t.

I think he’s a good player…but not a great player. We need more.

16. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Well it's a good thing most of us are in agreement he's a high end 2 then :) . Finishing 26th or 29th in yards defines that pretty well. We still need to add a top end receiver, but I expect that Elijah Moore is going to take a leap and be pretty damn good too.

REVISion likes this.
  17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I read an article saying Chris Godwin is available Bucs need that 19m off the books. Could JD be interested at the right price and extension also.

18. REVISion

N/A

#138 REVISion, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You can't defer perpetually. And Ponzi schemes, by definition, have to fail at some point. The money doesn't go away, and by doing this you end up with tens of millions of dead money, allocated to players who are no longer on your team but still counting against your cap. If it was such a sham, you wouldn't have teams in cap hell every offseason, shedding players they would prefer to keep. There are always options to squeeze another player or two under your cap. The best GMs are very selective about when to use these options.

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

great point. Exhibit 1 is megatron. You need multiple options. The belicheks of the world will try and take away your number 1