Thibodeaux vs. Walker vs. Johnson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Mar 17, 2022.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

In my mind it's looking more and more likely that one of these three guys is going to be the pick at #4.

I'd be fine with Hamilton but given the Whitehead signing and how little JD and Saleh seem to value safeties it seems unlikely Hamilton will be the pick. We also know Saleh and JD both HIGHLY value DL.

For a long time I've been of the belief that if KT is there we shouldn't overthink things and should just draft him. He was regarded as basically a sure thing to go #1 overall before the last CFB season began. Just recently I'm beginning to question whether that's still the best move.

First, let's take a look at the measurables:

Thibodeaux
    • 21 years old
    • 6'4
    • 254 lbs
    • 33" arms
    • 9.75" hands
    • 4.58 40

Johnson
    • 23 years old
    • 6'5
    • 254 lbs
    • 34" arms
    • 10" hands
    • 4.58 40
    • 32" vert
    • 125" broad jump

Walker
    • 21 years old
    • 6'5
    • 272 lbs
    • 35.5" arms
    • 10.75" hands
    • 4.51 40
    • 35.5" vert
    • 123" broad jump

Walker is the clear winner here, possessing ideal size for a 4-3 DE and elite athleticism. I do wonder if Thibodeaux is a bit on the small side to play DE.

Now let's look at production:

Thibodeaux

2019: 1.07 TFL per game, .69 sacks per game

2020: 1.35 TFL per game, .42 sacks per game

2021: 1.2 TFL per game, .7 sacks per game

Johnson

2019 (Georgia): .2 TFL per game, .16 sacks per game

2020 (Georgia): .71 TFL per game, .71 sacks per game

2021 (Florida St.): 1.46 TFL per game, .96 sacks per game

Walker

2019: .39 TFL per game, .28 sacks per game

2020: .29 TFL per game, .14 sacks per game

2021: .58 TFL per game, .46 sacks per game

It should be noted that Johnson played LB at Georgia and DE at Florida St. Thibodeaux and Walker played DL every year.

This paints a murkier picture. Johnson definitely had the best single pass rushing season of any of them. Walker's production is bad, but I do think it's fair to wonder if that's partly a product of the Georgia defense and how often he was asked to play inside. Still, not a great thing that he doesn't have much experience playing outside or rushing the passer. Thibodeaux's production is a little bit of a head scratcher. He didn't really have any bad years but there was also basically no sign of improving year over year.

Technique-wise, Thibodeaux and Johnson are the clear winners, with each possessing several pass rushing moves. Walker essentially has no moves other than a bull rush.

The point of this post for me is to say that I'm not really sure who the best choice would be at #4, after thinking for a while it should be KT without question.

I can see an argument for KT as the most consistent, productive pass rusher of the 3. I can see an argument for Johnson as having shown clear improvement every year and also putting together the single best season of the three. I can see an argument that Walker's lack of pass rushing production was largely system-based, and he potentially has the highest ceiling given his athleticism if he's able to develop a couple moves quickly.

#1 REVISion, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    JetsKickAss, NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  2. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

If Thibs there at 4, have to take him! Someone shared video of Walker getting totally dominated by Alabama! So I am out for him. Johnson at 10 if Thibs gone at 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lon Chaney and James Hasty like this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I think this is a misconception. While he may not have beat O’Neal, he still played well and got very close to making some nice plays. Shows he can hold up against a top OT prospect. Especially one of O'Neal's size.

Not wanting Walker based on how he played against O’Neal is kinda like not wanting Jake Long because Vernon Gholston outplayed him.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  4. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Good point, but I think Thibs is the best edge prospect, followed by Johnson, then Walker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Gotta be KT if he's there. He's the safest bet. Walker has the highest ceiling but we really have no idea whether he can actually rush the passer from the outside. He's done it sparingly and hasn't looked that great when he has.

Johnson I could be convinced on at 10, but no way at 4. One year of production and he plays pretty upright and a bit stiff. Good motor but I'm not confident he's gonna be able to bend the edge and beat more athletic tackles.

Sack exchange likes this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

When we sign Cox or Hunter, can we agree that JD wasn’t in love with any (of those) EDGE at #4?

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

cox isn't an edge. he's a DT and if we were to land him, replaces foley. nothing to do with edge.

BacktoQueens, Noam and REVISion like this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

KT first step is elite. He literally comes off the ball like he’s shot out of a cannon. If he’s there at 4 it’s a no brainer

9. GasedAndConfused

I think most people here agree. i'm not sold on walker, definitely not at 4. i'd rather have johnson at 10

Rockinz likes this.
  10. Rockinz

walker is boom or bust and so is Johnson. Hard prospects to evaluate because both do things really well but also have major flaws against top notch tackles

11. GasedAndConfused

johnson I think has a high floor and high ieling. walker is boom or bust. workout warriors/fast risers always worry me

The Dark Knight and Rockinz like this.
  12. Rockinz

Transfers worry me just as much. Fast risers I’m ok with because it shows improvement. Walker for me just doesn’t have great football IQ and awareness.

13. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

What are these pass rush moves of kt?
    I see zero, AND a lot of getting to the qb, while being blocked by TEs. To me, he seems like he's gonna get swallowed by NFL Tackles.
    I could be wrong, but that first step isn't enough when thats all you got. How many of the T in that conference are highly rated draft prospects.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd rank them as:
    1. Thibodeaux
    2. Johnson
    3. Walker

It looks like people are looking for anything to ding Kayvon for because he was viewed as a possible number 1 overall pick for a while.

Johnson has shown improvement year after year, but I view his floor as lower than Thibodeaux's.

Walker is raw, he might reach his ceiling, but he could also become Gholston 2.0 and we already went through the original.

#14 CotcheryFan, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  15. GasedAndConfused

johnson to me is very clean on film. equally good against the run and pass and a JD type of guy. high motor, a grinder. walker scares me as a combine freak who will be over drafted. he has a better chance of being the next maybin or gholston then he does of even being a quinten coples let alone a von miller

Rockinz likes this.
  16. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

Walker was not going to put up big numbers because Georgia rotates player too much. Plus, the Bulldogs has a lot of blow out games and he only played a few quarters in those games. Make no mistake, Walker is as tough as a two dollar steak.

17. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'm not a college football guru by any means, but how did Karlafatis become the forgotten DE? Is it a matter of upside? Karlafatis seems like one of the safest picks to me. To parallel it to the Parcels draft Karlafatis seems like Shaun Ellis vs the flashier, big play John Abraham. I feel like KT, Walker, etc. are the home run hitters that can also be easier to whiff with. Am I off base?

BacktoQueens and Noam like this.
  18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Walkers first punch is violent as hell. Demon like

REVISion and The Great American like this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He never seems to get overpowered or pushed out of a play. I think he's perhaps boom or bust as a pass rusher but not as a prospect overall. I think his floor is solid run defender.

Granted, if you take a guy at #4 and he doesn't become a good pass rusher it's a bad pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

this guy did a good breakdown of johnson. worth a watch

BacktoQueens and The Dark Knight like this.