*Speculation* Could the Jets be gearing up to make a big trade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 17, 2022.

?

Offense or Defense?

1. Offense

2. Defense

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This article speculates that because we were "in on" the Chandler Jones market and that we subsequently signed Jacob Martin that JD could have a trade up his sleeve for Danielle Hunter.

Then I see these Connor Hughes tweets from this morning...

So now I'm thinking to myself, is JD structuring these deals to make a big trade? If so, who would it be for?

Personally, I would love to see JD go out and make that Stefon Diggs-esque trade and give Zach a game-changing WR but I could see the argument for maybe another EDGE to push this DL over the top.

So I ask you, TGG, who would you like JD to trade for? I'm going to leave the poll very vague, just Offense and Defense, so please, once you cast your vote, elaborate below what position you'd like to see in a trade and who would you really want?

Noam likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As I mentioned above, I would love to see JD go out and get a game-changing WR. Names that seem to make sense would be DK Metcalf or Davante Adams (Brandin Cooks to a lesser extent). Any one of these guys with Corey Davis and Elijah Moore would really unlock Zach's potential and allow him to take a big leap in his sophomore season.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would bet Joe is looking to trade for Hunter. He carries an $18 mil cap hit I believe. Take our current cap number, minus 18, minus the money we need to sign the rookies and it makes sense.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would LOVE a DK Metcalf trade but I don't see it. Seattle will not trade with us after the Adams stuff.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If you look at the team there are two big needs DT and WR but Saleh always wants edge players. It could be Danielle Hunter. I think he has a round a 20 million salary. There have been rumors for awhile that the Vikings want to trade him. Metcalf is the other big name but I have never heard anyone say that he Seahawks want to trade him.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t think he’s setting up these contracts because he will make a trade, just so he can if there’s one to be made. I don’t think that trade is out there though.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Danielle Hunter would make a lot of sense. I wonder if a 2nd would do it? He's been highly productive and still 27, but is coming off a season-ending injury and Minnesota is apparently switching to a 3-4 so he'd need to change positions

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. Just giving the team cap flexibility. Could still sign a big name free agent if they are released or if their asking price goes down too. If they are looking for a trade, I hope it is for a true WR1.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Seattle is in rebuild mode so and with Metcalf being a FA next year they may look for draft capital instead of hitting him with the 5th year option or a new contract. If the Jets could get Metcalf and Seattle's #41 pick in the 2nd for the #10 pick I would think that would be good value on both sides. My only worry would be, can they resign him. Of course the have the 5th year tag to use but I would think getting him signed long term would be better.

dawinner127 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would do 10 for Metcalf and #41. We would still get a terrific player at 41 and a proven elite WR in DK. I wouldn't do just 10 straight up though.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

These contracts being structured for big cap hits in 2023 makes a ton of sense.

A CJ Mosley cut saves the Jets 15.5M. If Lawson doesn't have a big year, expect a restructure with another year added on, or a 15M cap casualty. Corey Davis is also 10M in cap savings. Maintain cap flexibility this year while using cap savings from next year to pay for the additions.

Say whatever you want about Joe Douglas, but the guy knows what the hell he's doing. If he hits this draft then it's safe to say we found our GM.

Jojo, wewantsapp, PJ4Ever and 7 others like this.
  12. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

the only trade i would be interested in hearing about is for Watson. this 12 plus losing team is in no position to trade draft assets for a player we will dump in two years anyways.

BrowningNagle, amuck57 and Red Menace like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO it's already safe to say that we found our GM. IMO we would be totally stupid to fire him after the FA we've had, the way he handles the cap, and his ability as a trader. His draft last year shows what he can do in the draft.

14. NCJetsfan

I hope the trade isn't for Hunter, but if it is, so be it. I think the trade should be for a stud WR. That's the only thing JD hasn't added this offseason and it is still a HUGE need. There are some excellent WRs in the draft, but they may take some time to develop or play at a really high level. Adding a proven stud WR would do more to help Zach and this team, than probably all the other moves combined.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

Can't trade for a stud WR if there isn't one available. They missed that boat with Cooper.

Borat likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK if the 5th year tag stays with the player when they're traded. Anyone know?

17. NCJetsfan

I agree that one can't trade for a stud WR if there isn't one available, but we don't know who might be available. We aren't privy to conversations JD has had with other teams, or what other teams may be looking to do or who they may want to move.

Cooper in no way shape or form is a "stud" WR. Sorry, but that's just silly imo. You guys waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrate him.

18. NYJFOREVER

Stud like Adams or Kupp? Not even close.

Cooper is better than any receiver we have rostered and any receiver on the FA market. I'd rather have him than any WR in the draft. His contract is pay as you go with next to no GTD money and the Browns got him for nothing. But what's done is done.

PJ4Ever and Borat like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Cooper was another SOJ bust waiting to happen IMO. On the surface he looked great, but underneath, big flaws. I'm glad that JD is smarter than all of us.

boozer32, Snatch Catch, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  20. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

A stud WR isn’t inconsistent and can’t be found making an impact for 2/3 game stretches. Cooper a stud lmao that same one that just got traded for a 5th round pick??? Stop man he isn’t a stud, he use to be a really good WR now he’s just above avg

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.