2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Damn! That would have been a sweet signing.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Jets add another TE.

Uzomah, Conklin, and McBride/Ruckert/Dulcich/Jelani Woods and we’re set.

barfolomew and JetFanInPA like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

damn. the rich get richer

barfolomew and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

We're going to have to announce cuts pretty soon to pay for this buying spree. Obvious is Ryan Griffen (+3mm.) Probably GVR (+3.5). Possibly Rankins (+5.5) and McGovern (+9). Fant is the only other big saving available (+10).

Another way to get down would be to trade pre-june 1 any of Mosely, Lawson, Davis, or JFM.

Nyjets4eva and barfolomew like this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

sorry==dup post

6. GasedAndConfused

fant is likely gonna get extended and lower his cap this year in the process. mcgovern won't be cut unless we replace him. GVR won't be cut unless we replace him. rankins won't be cut unless we replace him.
    only one on your list getting cut is RG

barfolomew likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Von Miller will be 33 next week. I get it's not really a 6 year deal, just structured that way, but it is still a lot for him. I'd do it too if I was the Bills though. Go big or go home. It is a Super Bowl or bust window for them right now.

blackssmagic and cval like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Well--how do you think we're going to get down under cap? I'll go for it and say McGovern i either renegotiated or straight out cut. Probably the former with a Crowder type deal. But we're going to have to cut more than that and more than GVR. Or trade.

9. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Just once I'd like a SB or bust window.

10. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

i’d settle for playoffs or bust window

stinkyB, barfolomew and KWJetsFan like this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Still, at 23 years old, he is two full years older than KT. Also, he has pretty low pressure rate of 11.1%, compared to 16.6% for KT. Pass rush wins is 14.1% compared to 23.1% of KT. Jermaine does have a sack every 29.6 pass rushing snaps. KT has has one every 32.2. So JJ does make it count on much rarer occasions when he generates pass rush wins and pressures, where he has slightly more sacks per snap than KT, but the difference is small, and it is rather a small sample size as between two of them they have 23 total sacks. And Jermaine is doing this as a two years older guy as I mentioned before.

It just feels like there is a massive drop off between KT and JJ or any other pass rusher for that matter. Not sure if JJ is worth #4 pick. I would not take him that high even with KT off the board. Indeed it would be very interesting what the Jets do if KT is off the board at 4. Ekwonu/Neal (whichever one is there) feels like a BPA considering high positional value, but it's a lesser positional need on the Jets. JJ is a huge reach. Hamilton brings very poor positional value. It almost feels like trading back a few spots may be the best in this scenario in case someone really wants Ekwonu. Or just grab Ekwonu and then figure it out, can never have enough premier players at premier positions.

I just hope KT is there, we grab him and that will be the end of it. Otherwise the choice is not glaringly obvious.

KY Jets Fan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's done. He only played 10 games last year, and I understand that he wasn't very good in those 6 games. He had 31 receptions for 434 yards and 1 TD. I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot on him. Sign Allen Robinson he can still play, and he has plenty that he can teach the young WRs.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Totally agree. I'm hoping KT makes it to 4 because the choice becomes a lot less clear if Hutchison, Thibodeaux, and Ekwonu are all gone by 4.

I would wager a decent amount of money that we'll take an EDGE at 4 or 10 though. KT at 4 (hopefully) or JJ/Travon Walker at 10.

Borat likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m loving what we’re doing but I wish we’d address pass rush more…I know we signed that OLB from Houston, but the legit teams are all getting 2 top DEs….we have zero with a huge maybe on Lawson betting he can come back from an Achilles for a player who depends on quickness … it’s a gamble.

Buffalo signs Miller, Chargers had Bosa and add Mack, Raiders have Crosby and add Chandler Jones, Denver has Chubb and adds Gregory…we are so far behind the top teams and while we look much better on paper now that last week, it doesn’t feel like we’re much closer to really competing with the top dogs.

much of it will depend on Zach’s development, and we all have our own opinions on how likely that is, and I get that we aren’t competing for a Super Bowl this year and playing a longer game, but man I’d love to see more attention to pass rush.

I assume we are drafting pass rush early and hopefully more than one, and I do like JDs plan and approach…so feeling a lot better …. If the draft goes as well as free agency has, we should be a decent team next year…just gotta get a pass rush

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Jets will draft someone for edge. Maybe not at 4, but by early day 2.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Shit, this is one guy I was really hoping the JETS would land....

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, if you are OK with Ikem at 4, then take Neal if he is gone, who is also a premier LT, and has versatility. The only question there is positional need as we have two good Ts already. Still that would be my move if Hutch/KT are off the board.

As far as Walker, the guy is a supreme athlete. However, he wasn't good in College. Abysmal pressure rate of only 8.9% (by far the worst among top Edge prospects), same with terrible pass rush win rate of 10.1%. You hope his athleticism will eventually prevail and he will become elite, but the production just wasn't there thus far and it is huge risk. That's why all roads lead to KT, keeping fingers crossed!

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

IMO if the Jets like Kayvon's character, he'll be the pick at 4. You hear these rumblings about him, but also rumblings that they're overblown. I think a high-end edge prospect and a run-stuffing DL (Travis Jones in the 2nd?) would make this a fantastic DL

LAJet, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

oh I meant it as a good team gets better. not in a money way for miller.

The Dark Knight likes this.