2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

'from various sauces as well

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/scouting-reports/ahmadgardner

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-cb
    — Tackle security and physicality are a question. Can take poor angles at times and get overpowered.
    Gardner is a bit thin, which shows up in his tackling. Though he is aggressive and willing in the run game, he sometimes struggles to secure his tackles with bigger backs. He will have the opportunity to improve his lack of strength as he develops in the NFL, though

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sauce-gardner/32004741-5215-2629-6c74-87ce99a3689f
    weaknesses
    Catch-and-drag tackler.
    Skinny legs with below-average build.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ahmad-gardner-cincinnati-cb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/
    On top of the coverage qualms, Gardner can be more consistent dismantling blocks in run defense.

He's also not a "big" CB he's tall there is a difference. he reminds me as a prospect of antonio cromartie. which mind you isn't a negative. he was a 1st round pick and 4 time pro bowler but I just think he's better suited for an aggressive man defense. Hall time and time again makes big tackles on the outside for us. echols didn't which was an issue but we did just sign reed. I don't see sauce as that type of player. I think he'll be good but in a man press defense. would have fit great for us when GW was our DC but with saleh/ulbrich not a great fit to use a top 10 pick on when we have other needs.

Do you really want to bench hall and use a 10th OA pick? too many people fall in love with prospects over fit/what makes sense

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I like a lot about this post, especially about the secondary. I just don't see the evidence they want to invest a premium pick for a CB to play zone, and if he's amazing then we're rewarded by later paying him big money at his first contract. Seems to me they will just continue to restock with young fast guys. And secondary to some degree is only as good as its weakest link so if you pay big in one spot you'll likely pay less elsewhere, and that's where they will throw the ball

My one point of disagreement (slight) is i can see an investment in WR early. I am on record many times warning of the perils of 1st round WR, great talent in the second, lots of busts in the first, etc. Two things have changed that for me to a degree. First, we have two first round picks so that mitigates things. Second, trying to get a top WR by means other than the draft is now a BIGGER gamble. FA market is nuts for WR. Teams are holding onto their quality Edge and their quality WR like never before.

3. chandler

not buying it. also they need to restock in this draft for post-Mosley

4. GasedAndConfused

we have 4 premium picks. the WR talent in this draft is weak in the high end but very deep. the drop off from a WR at 10 to 38 is pretty minimal. there is no jamaar chase in this draft. i'd rather take one at 35 or 38. not to mention every metric says it's a much better option to do so. we drafted moore in the 2nd last year and he's a better WR then the 2 taken before him in the 1st (toney and bateman). the top WR this year would have been 4th best last year. you have to play what the draft gives you

barfolomew, Red Menace, Noam and 2 others like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think many teams would agree with this.

I DEFINITELY don't think many teams would agree with this.

6. chandler

all good points but i won't be surprised one bit with a WR at 10.

it seems every year the pundits not only get picks wrong but the entire character of the draft wrong. If the Jets really like a WR the way they liked AVT last year i think he'll be the pick at 10

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

i wouldn’t just say Moore is better than both of them. Both missed a lot of camp and time bc of injury. Toney looked electric when he was on the field and Bateman looked pretty damn good imo as well. Not saying Moore can’t be better than them but saying it isn’t a fact at this point imo.

barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think they definitely would and will. There's a good chance we only see 1-2 receivers taken in round 1–and they might not even be who you're expecting. Garrett Wilson is the only lock I'm seeing in Round 1 and that's high floor pick, not stud WR1 pick.

NCJetsfan and James Hasty like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would put an unbelievable amount of money on at least three receivers being taken in the first round

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"If only I had the hair and charisma this young man has...."

11. GasedAndConfused

um they kinda do. why do you think nobody has a WR going in the top 10.

I wouldn't either. If JD does it, he does it. i don't have to agree with or like everything he does. I could be wrong as could he. I'll trust him in what he does, I think he's the best GM we've had in who knows how long, but still the WR class is deep but lacks a top end and thats how i see it and the majority of other sites, scouts, etc as well.

JD traded up for AVT for 2 reasons according to himself
    1) he was the last blue chip player left and he believes in getting blue chip players when you can regardless of position. 1st round is for "unicorns"
    2) he believes games are won in the trenches (o-line and d-line)

AVT fit the bill on both. Both saleh and JD have the same belief system and I agree with them as well. so it really comes down to if he thinks a WR at 10 is a blue chip or unicorn player. I don't think there is 1, he may think different.

barfolomew, Noam and James Hasty like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

toney looks electric with the ball but his hands, route running, and just overall WR ability pales in comparison to moore. he isn't as reliable and doesn't get open like moore and moore is just as good with the ball in his hands.

bateman is a different type more of a corey davis type WR so hard for a direct comparison but I think moore fits us much better and is a better WR. ravens took bateman for his size

13. GasedAndConfused

probably as many as 5 but I don't think any go before we pick at 10.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Jets biggest problem one 3rd down was running cover 1 almost every time. I think it had to do with not trusting the DBs they had to run the zone principles.

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

From your mouth to God’s ears brother

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We haven’t signed anyone to fix the IDL if they view that as the primary issue though.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think that will be focus of the draft, with 2 of top 4 picks in play for the line (int and ext).

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe if they put in a clause where Woody gets to drink a cup of Minshew's blood every Tuesday.

19. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where do we stand when it comes to remaining cap room?

20. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Me personally, that is a mistake. Quincy, while he had his moments is an avg to just below avg linebacker. Not unless one of the 2 we drafted last year can step in and truly play the position/stay healthy.....