Jets sign CJ Uzomah.. 3 year, $24 mil, $15 mil Guaranteed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 14, 2022.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Championship

love this move. Have a soft spot for him since he was on my championship fantasy roster this year

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

i disagree whole heartily. For us, he will truly be a game changer. We are moving from a non existing position in the passing game to one where is played with passion, professionally by a leader in the locker room to boot. Big under the radar signing in a position of massive need.

SOJAZ, ouchy, b.reyes16 and 5 others like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He's an upgrade but not a game changer. Last year was his best year receiving and he still didn't break 500 (granted Cinci had 3 great receivers on their depth chart last year). He should provide a decent safety release if receivers aren't open but I don't see opposing defenses game planning around him. Hopefully I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is.

PJ4Ever and barfolomew like this.
  5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

We don't need players at every position that the other team needs to game plan around. It's perfectly fine if most of our starters are players who show up and do their job reasonably well. We were missing that at TE and RG last year; now we have it. I'm pretty happy.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Three great signings on the first day of FA! Of course with the Jets luck you never know until they hit the field and stay healthy and play up to their track record, BUT...Douglas is hitting all the right notes and that's all you can ask.

NCJetsfan, Borat and Brook! like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Literally every Bengals fan I have talked to loves CJ. Sounds like he truly was a fan favorite. I am a little confused why the Bengals did not want to bring him back though.

NCJetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Play on words. They won’t special plan for him, I agree, but they will have to at least account for him with a defender, a position that in the past defenses completely disregarded against us. If they ignore it in the future, he will get a lot more than 500 yards which for us is kind of game changing category for a TE

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. I think the plan all along was to sign a decent TE and to draft a TE relatively high to make over the entire TE room. McBride or Ruckert would be a great compliment and a cheap one on a rookie deal.

10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Good signing. Hopefully Zach Wilson can complete dump off passes next session and doesn't throw at his feet

mrjet80 likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He had more yards receiving last year than anyone on Jets roster, including WRs. Also tall at 6-6 with size being an issue for the Jets, finally giving Zach a big capable target. Yes, he is a middle of the pack among starting TEs, but that's better than any TE we had since Keller. We will definitely need to draft another TE too, but at least we've been upgraded from bottom 5 to middle of the pack with this move. There weren't really that many options available in free agency to do better than that.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

13. NCJetsfan

14. NCJetsfan

15. NCJetsfan

They have to do that, and really should draft two TEs. Griffin and Kroft suck, as does Wesco.

16. NCJetsfan

He wasn't signed to be a game changer. He was signed for leadership, to be a culture changer, a great blocker, and to bring some big plays to NY. He is a great signing. Add a couple of young TEs in the draft like Ruckert and Otton, or Dulcich and one of the others, and we have ourselves a real TE room.

Brook! and SOJAZ like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Sorry but I have to disagree that the signing of Uzomah alone will elevate our TE group to middle of the pack, not with Kroft, Griffin and Wesco, it won't. Add Ruckert or Dulcich, and Otton or one of the other good TE prospects, and it will. Out TE room should be Uzomah, 2 draft picks and Yeboah.

#37 NCJetsfan, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Borat likes this.
  18. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I actually have some faith that Yeboah can be a fine TE3. We need depth elsewhere. I'd rather they spend an early-mid round pick on a TE of the future and focus on building OL/DL/LB depth in the latter rounds. 3 deep at TE should allow MLF to run plenty of 12 personnel if he wants to--though it's probably more likely he'll stick to the 3 receiver sets 60% or more again this year.

19. NCJetsfan

Three deep is NOT enough. MLF wants to run a pretty fair number of 2-TE sets. One TE goes down with an injury, and we're right back where we were last year. We need to carry 4 TEs. We need OL depth, but assuming we sign a DT in FA and draft an Edge, we have sufficient depth on the DL, and I think the Jets probably draft an LB somewhere in rounds 3-4, so that will hit their depth. IMO this is an instance where the D has to wait another year. Better that our offense doesn't suffer any more and gives Zach the best chance to develop.

Borat likes this.
  20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I like the move but he’s not even in the same stratosphere as those two.