2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are confused if you think the Jets haven’t tried overpaying in free agency before today

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's basically what we did last free agency and it got us half a season of GVR.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Glad they didn't throw the bag at JC Jackson. I wonder how serious their interest in DJ Reed or Carlton Davis is. I find it hard to believe they'd pay a ton of money to a CB given they rolled with an incredibly inexperienced group last year and didn't fare that bad. Also Charvarius Ward from KC is out there. Steven Nelson from Philly is another if they want to add more of a vet/competition rather than bonafide starter

NCJetsfan and b.reyes16 like this.
  4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think they'll add a vet to the room to compete. It's a young room, but it's not a bad room. I expect if they take Sauce/other, he'll play alongside Hall, and the rest will fight for their spot on the depth chart.

5. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The best part about the Laken Tomlinson deal is that it is how impactful it will be for our team.

Aside from TE I don't believe there was another position where we had more to gain by upgrading.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Lon Chaney, ouchy, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We overpaid in free agency? In the past, yes but we were trying to build the team through free agency. Not quite the same as what we are doing by signing and paying a Guard market value.

7. JetFanInPA

Carlton Davis back to TB, 3yrs/45mil. Not surprising, but continues setting the market at CB. That's 15m/yr for him and 16.5m/yr for JC Jackson.

I'm really interested in what they do at CB. Many of their areas of need are very clear (RG, TE, S, for example), but I can see CB going anywhere between standing pat and signing/drafting a CB1-caliber player. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the middle with a starting-caliber starter (ex: DJ Reed or Charvarius Ward) or one who can compete to start (ex: Steven Nelson).

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Carlton Davis back to Tampa for three years/$45 million. I didn’t think there was any chance he was going to leave after Tom Brady came back. Hughes has us length to Gilmore which I guess would be okay on a one year deal after we hopefully draft Gardner. If we could lock up one of Williams or honey badger by the end of the day this would be a very very good first day of free agency.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jaguars made Christian Kirk the 3rd highest paid WR in the NFL with no performance to back it up. He's had 4 100 yard games in 4 YEARS.

The Jets paid 13M per year AAV to Tomlinson which makes him the 8th highest paid guard, and 10th highest paid IOL if you include centers.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

Meanwhile, at the other NY team's headquarters...

So glad the Jets are not in this position now nor setting themselves up for it in the future. Makes me appreciate JD's approach even more. It only works if he hits in the draft, but love the approach. Add pieces in non cap-busting moves via free agency, acquire draft picks and hit on them.

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Giants spent like a drunken sailor last year and it backfired big time.

blackssmagic, IIMeanDeanII and cval like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

Van Roten was an expensive guard acquired in free agency

13. BrowningNagle

5th highest paid guard. He’s behind Thuney (who the Jets swung and missed on last off-season) the 2 Cleveland guards, the great one from Dallas and that’s it

14. BroadwayAaron

If you’re including both guard positions which you should, he’s 8th. And thank god the Jets “missed” on Thuney. He deserved the contract he has but my god would that have been a bad decision for us.

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

For sure Scherff is higher now, and I have to look at the other new G contracts

16. BrowningNagle

I agree on Thuney, and yet is he any worse than Tomlinson? :(

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What are you on about?

We've been more prone to spending big, over spending In fact, for the last decade.

I swear people have the shortest memories when It comes to supporting their delusional arguments.

bicketybam and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Jaguars are having themselves a rough day one

19. BroadwayAaron

I don’t understand the question. He’s a better player and he’s getting paid as such. Tomlinson is still a very good player and only 30 which apparently means he’s knocking on deaths door all of a sudden according to this place.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What? He was making $3 million per year and we've all seen why he was so cheap.

JD thought he was a B- player at a C price which is why he signed him. He turned out to be a D player at a C price. Tomlinson went to the pro bowl last year and comes from the exact same offensive system we use.