Final Pre-Free Agency Mock

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 12, 2022.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Trades:

NYJ Receive:
    -Amari Cooper, WR (DAL)
    DAL Receive:

Free Agents:
    -Jaquiski Tartt, S (SF)
    -Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, G (NYJ)
    -Braxton Berrios, WR (NYJ)
    -Zach Ertz, TE (ARI)
    -Joe Flacco, QB (NYJ)
    -Ryan Jensen, C (TB)
    -DJ Jones, NT, (SF)
    -Casey Hayward Jr., CB (LV)

Releases:
    -Connor McGovern, C
    -Greg Van Roten, G
    -Ryan Griffin, TE

Draft:
    1.4 Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State
    1.10 Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State

Trade:
    NYJ Receive:
    IND Receive:

2.38 Travis Jones, IDL, Connecticut
    2.42 Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
    3.82 Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State
    4.110 Cole Strange, G, Chattanooga
    5.146 Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati
    5.163 Tyler Allgeier, RB, BYU

QB
    -Zach Wilson
    -Joe Flacco

RB
    -Michael Carter
    -Tyler Allgeier
    -Ty Johnson

TE
    -Zach Ertz
    -Jeremy Ruckert
    -Kenny Yeboah

WR
    -Amari Cooper
    -Corey Davis
    -Elijah Moore
    -Braxton Berrios
    -Denzel Mims
    -Alec Pierce

OL
    -Mekhi Becton
    -Alijah Vera-Tucker
    -Ryan Jensen
    -Ikem Ekwonu
    -George Fant
    -Conor McDermott
    -Cole Strange
    -Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

ED
    -Carl Lawson
    -John Franklin-Myers
    -Jermaine Johnson II
    -Bryce Huff
    -Jabari Zuniga

IDL
    -Quinnen Williams
    -DJ Jones
    -Travis Jones
    -Sheldon Rankins
    -Johnathan Marshall

LB
    -CJ Mosley
    -Quincy Williams
    -Jamien Sherwood
    -Hamsah Nasirildeen

S
    -Lamarcus Joyner
    -Jaquiski Tartt
    -Ashtyn Davis
    -Jason Pinnock

CB
    -Bryce Hall
    -Casey Hayward Jr.
    -Brandin Echols
    -Kyler Gordon
    -Michael Carter II
    -Javelin Guidry

2. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Other than being a little light on LB it would seem all of our needs are addressed/met. I can’t really think of a better scenario than this.

MaximusD163 and barfolomew like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

LB room is basically unchanged which is an issue but everywhere else we shore up. I don’t love the idea of spending money on a 31 year old Jensen when a cheaper younger McGovern was more than serviceable last year either. Im a fan everywhere else though. We’d be banking on Tartt holding down the fort which is a little scary but it would unfortunately be an upgrade.

FJF and MaximusD163 like this.
  4. MaximusD163

I feel like LB is a weird position to upgrade. I think you could improve on Quincy but also you could take another year to see what he can be. I think Mosley is a good leader but is crazy expensive and just isn’t the greatest scheme fit. But Mosley has all of that guaranteed money and can’t be moved… so I just felt like that’s the one position I’d leave, and deal with next year. I feel like this is a realistic off-season as well

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

so now I have Jensen, AVT, Fant and a likely-to-rebound Becton. There is NO WAY im taking another T at 4....nooooo wayyyyy

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jensen for McGovern isn’t a huge upgrade, probably isn’t worth the change.
    Like to see if they could get honey badger

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I didn’t think I’d be so gung ho about the badger but he’d be a fantastic signing. He’s worth paying because he’s a culture setter on top of being an elite safety. I’d save the money on the minimal upgrade from Jensen to McGovern and focus on Mathieu/Robinson (if we can’t trade for Cooper).

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Positives: I like the re-signing of Berrios, Flacco and LDT, and the signings of Jones, Jensen, and Hayward.

I like McGovern, Griffin & GVR being released.

Even though I'm not a fan of Cooper, getting him for a 3rd is decent, and then I like trading back and re-couping a 3rd.

I love your 1st round a lot, and love the picks of Allgeier and Ruckert. Strange is a good depth addition. I've read good things about Pierce, but haven't done any research on him.

Negatives:
    IMO we don't need to sign a DT and then draft one, especially in the 2nd round. Jones is a great prospect, but with Jones, Rankins and Marshall, Jones is not needed. That's overkill since you didn't cut Rankins.

The same goes for CB. We don't need to draft and sign a CB in FA. You act like our CB unit was awful last season and it wasn't. I like Gordon, but I think adding Hayward is sufficient. Echols and he can battle for the CB2 spot and he will bring some veteran leadership to the room.

Tartt is not the answer at S. That's a woefully bad S room. Three TEs are not enough, Ertz can't stay healthy, and Yeboah is still too raw. Big mistake with the TE room.

Changes I would make:

1) Replace the pick of Jones with a S, be it Hill if he's still there, or Brisker, or Cine or Pitre.
    2) The trade with Dallas for Cooper and just sign AROB or DJ Chark in FA.
    3) Don't trade down with Indy. Use that 2nd round pick on Christian Watson and use the 2nd 4th round pick to take Cade Otton or take a RB earlier like Ford, and then take Jelani Woods with the other 5th round pick.
    4) Don't sign Ertz in FA. Sign Maxx Williams, Everett, Tonyan or Alie-Cox.
    5) Instead of signing Jensen, keep McGovern and sign James Daniels. LDT and Daniels can battle for the starting RG position, and Daniels can move to C next year or you could still cut McGovern and have Daniels start at C this season. Keeping McGovern and adding McDaniels would allow you to cut that stiff Feeney.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If your mock would actually happen we would not only have a great OL and great DL we would have amazing depth at both. Not to mention great flexibility on the OL with Ekwonu being able to guard and tackle and Strange center and guard and then having LDT as the 2nd or 3rd guard. These are two dream lines and I imagine exactly want JD would like in building a long term team. Trading for Cooper scares me plus taking on his $20 million salary plus a 3rd. With $20 million the Jets could sign 3 good players in FA plus draft a good one in the third. That is a lot to give up. But once again I love the effort and thought you put into these mocks. Thank you I really enjoy reading them. Only 2 days until legal tampering day one!

I agree with NC about taking Watson in round 2 and signing an Arob in FA. I might prefer Gallup if he makes it to FA or Kirk if he is able to play outside. I also question the signing of Ertz.

#9 Noam, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. MaximusD163

Well, initially that was how I felt. But I’m starting to think Ekwonu is too good of a prospect. I don’t think OL is a must in the top 10, but I do think Ekwonu is worth the pick. Because there are a lot of questions with the OT position, it does offer a lot of insurance as well.

1. Will Becton stay healthy?
    2. Will Becton mature?
    3. Will Becton continue to develop after missing a whole year?
    4. Will Fant maintain his level of play that we’ve only seen for 1 year?

If all 4 of these answers are yes, then you have the ability to franchise tag Fant and trade him while keeping two premium young tackles. If the answer is no to some of these, then you still have Ekwonu in your back pocket.

11. MaximusD163

All valid alternatives and points. I think Cooper would be a really nice player for Zach’s development, maybe in the vein of Diggs for Josh Allen of Hopkins for Kyler Murray. And I think DJ Jones would be a short term NT and Travis Jones would be a long term starter. I want dominant and deep OL and DL units. Also, Hayward would be a super cheap 1 year guy, and would bring bet presence and depth. Hayward might not even start. And I’m not sure why dislike Tartt so much, I think he’s a good safety who knows the scheme well.

Noam likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great job, @MaximusD163! Any Jets off-season similar to that would be very exciting! Only a couple days left to wait.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

Cooper to CLE, so that dream is dead lol

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't like Cooper, never have, never will. I think he's grossly overrated by fans. The NFL showed what they think of him and his contract. He's not worth anywhere near $20 million per season imo. I agree that adding a WR like Diggs would be great for Zach. That WR just isn't Cooper. Sign AROB or trade for Cooks or sign DJ Chark.

DJ Jones isn't that old is he? He could be here for at least 2-3 years I think, maybe longer.

I know that JD and Saleh wants two deep, strong lines, but everything can't be done this year. We can draft a DT next year.

Hayward would be cheap, he's good and he would help the youngsters. He is one of the CBs I've wanted JD to sign ever since I checked to see who would be FAs at various positions.

I dislike Tartt because he just isn't very good to me. Yes, he knows the D from playing it in SF, but every time I've seen SF play, Tartt gets beat, misses tackles, makes bonehead plays. There are too many good Safeties in this FA class to settle for someone like him just because he knows the system. Saleh and JD want Ballhawks in the secondary. The two safeties they should be seriously targeting to get one of them are Quandre Diggs and Jayron Kearse.

sec314 likes this.
  15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Looks like JD agreed with you so I think you have a better idea of what we’re doing then the person who created this thread. If we paid Cooper 20 million I would of bummed out on our GM and thought here we go again. Signing a big name to sell tickets reeks of Woody. FA hasn’t started and Jet fans are killing our GM. I try to remember that most of our fan base are Met fans which explains a lot. What a bunch huh. Let’s give him 3 days before we go Joe Beningo on them

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I know you can officially sign contracts on Wednesday, but when do we start hearing about guys agreeing to terms verbally? Tomorrow?

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't know who the Jets will sign, but I bet there won't be any superstars with big contracts signed. I only see that happening that if the Jets need one player for a Superbowl push and they're not there.

18. MaximusD163

Noon tomorrow

Stevied likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Zuniga is that scrub still on the roster? Nice offseason scenario. Cooper is gone now the Jets need to target Allan Robinson.

20. MaximusD163

Allen Robinson had a crap year… I would be really hesitant to go down that road. 410 yards and 1 TD?
    Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios, and Jamison Crowder all had better stats than that last year, and it’s not like the Bears even had better WR options aside from Darnell Mooney