Should the Jets Trade an Early Draft Pick for Proven Talent?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Feb 16, 2022.

?

Would You be OK with the Jets trading an early pick for a proven player as part of a 3-way trade?

1. Yes, regardless of who or what position

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. No, regardless of who or what position

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. It depends on who it is

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  4. Yes, but only for (please specify who)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Yes, but only for an Edge

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Yes, but only for a WR

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. Yes, but only for a CB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yes, but only for a TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yes, but only for an OL

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. Yes, but only for a S

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Only because the QB class is weak.

Many players put up freakish stats in the combine.

The class took a huge leap forward in one short week.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there also isn't the elite top end. most drafts have a few guys with a 7 grade. this has none. we don't have the chase, pitts, bosa, quinnen williams, etc. but it's a really solid depth draft. good draft IMO to have a lot of picks in the middle rounds. I think rounds 2-4 will be stacked

James Hasty likes this.
  3. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

On NFL Radio (Movin' The Chains) yesterday, they were saying that Carolina has taken calls on McCaffrey. He's frequently injured & a luxury pick, but if traded his annual cap hit for the acquiring team is actually pretty reasonable. IF he can stay healthy, he's the ultimate security blanket for a young QB. If I recall correctly, I believe Kirwan was speculating an offer would be a very late 1st & a mid round pick. With high 2nds & a high 3rd, we could easily approach that type of value if we wanted to.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I love McCaffrey, and when Macc passed on Mahomes and Watson, that was the other major mistake he made, and he sort of broke the stereotype of what a RB could do in today's NFL, but no thanks at that price. Too much lost time due to injuries, and even if he's 100% recovered and is injury free for a number of seasons, he'd be expensive to keep while entering the downhill side of his career which is surely going to come quicker based on his past injuries. I'd rather take Barkley for a 4th if they could him him for that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No way, I'm burning that draft capital on an oft-injured player who has a lot of mileage and hits on his body.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would be on the phone with Seattle for DK right now..

cval, b.reyes16 and PJ4Ever like this.
  7. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Twitter has a lot of #10 for DK hypotheticals. That's too much in my opinion. I can see a 2nd plus a 3rd or 4th. If we're going to spend #10 on a WR, just draft one of the top two.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  8. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

For a 2nd and 3rd or likely less you could get Breece Hall for 4-5 years on a rookie contract and 2 good knees.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah big agree. 10 is too rich for my blood, but I would entertain 35 or 38 and wouldn't think twice.

10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Only for people who care about the combine, of which I am certainly not one. I’ve read it’s deep in certain positions but I don’t think this is a well regarded class overall. Not that it means anything, just saying.

11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on the player. A very Jetsy move would be Woody walking into Joe Douglas's office and forcing a splasy move like trading a 1st for McCafrey. I would be very hesitant to trade a high pick

12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Yeah but not a wide reciever. Let's get WR in free agency and use our picks elsewhere.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

DK is worth a top 10 without question

14. NCJetsfan

We either need to sign a WR in FA or trade for one AND draft one. Presently, we have Moore, Davis, and Mims on the roster. We don't want Tariq Black or Jeff Smith, or the Montgomery kid. Mims may need to go. Hopefully, Berrios re-signs, then we only need two WRs. If he doesn't, then we need to add 3 WRs this offseason. Mims may not be here long. We need at least one more young WR to pair with Moore to be here for 7-10 years or longer.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Neither of the top two are as good as Metcalf. Metcalf is only 24, so he can be here a long time. Zach needs some proven WRs

cval likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Why would DK be available? If he's truly worth a 1st, let alone #10, I wouldn't think he'd be available? I'd prefer to use that pick on our own premium player or to trade back for more draft picks to fill more holes.

barfolomew and Sack exchange like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I doubt he will be available. He is a proven star in the league and something we would be unlikely to duplicate at 10. We may but why take a chance? I like proven young players over draft capital.

18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I really believe Seattle not trying to trade him, he is up and coming WR1, home grown, and young, deserving of a lucrative 2nd contract. All teams need a legit #1. DK not getting traded!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ColoradoContrails

I agree that if I can get a proven vet, who has no issues - injuries, attitude, bloated salary - I'd prefer them over an untested rookie, but where do you find such veterans? In my experience, whether talking FA or trade, teams very rarely let really good players leave. Even now with R. Wilson's trade, Seattle obviously is going to rebuild and don't want to have to pay him all that money when they could use it for more resources, but look at the king's ransom Denver had to pay to get him. Time will tell if this was a good deal for either team, let alone one of them.

For the hypothetical of Metcalf, if the only reason the Hawks are getting rid of him is to use his money towards their rebuild, and we didn't have to give them a king's ransom, okay I do it, but I really don't think we would get him a t a reasonable cost.

20. NCJetsfan

It looks like Seattle is going to be going through a similar rebuild to ours. They traded Russell Wilson to the Broncos and released Bobby Wagner. They added Fant, and still have Lockett and Metcalf, but they're going to be more of a running team and not throwing as much as they did with Russell. They need picks since we fleeced them so badly in the Jamal Adams trade. They could be willing to part with Metcalf. He's only 24 and in his 3 seasons has had 58 receptions for 900 yards and 7 TD, 83 receptions for 1,303 yards and 10 TDs, and 75 receptions for 967 yards and 12 TDs. I don't think there's a single WR in this draft class that could give us that over his first 3 seasons. Metcalf is only 24. We'd have to get him to sign an extension. But with Metcalf and Moore we'd have great speed, route running, and scoring ability. Athletically, he's freakish. He had a vertical leap of 40.5 inches, a broad jump of 134 inches (over 11 feet), ran a 4.33 40, and had 27 reps on the bench press. The only two things he was subpar on were the 20-yard shuttle (4.5 seconds) and the 3-cone drill (7.38), 1/10th slower than Burks.