Combine Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Mar 1, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Like you said before, depends who the draft gives us. If KT or hutch fell to 4 I think it's a no brainer. I think those 2 are a tier above the rest. and edge is very important in our scheme. If both of them are gone then it gets iffy as there is a group of probably 4-6ish that seem all pretty similar talentwise. it's a deep edge class. There should be a good one at 35

I wouldn't say 1 CB stands above the rest either. I think sauce, stingly, and booth are all pretty similar. I think stingly is better but the injury knocks him down to their level overall. after that I think there is also a solid group of guys in elam, mcduffie, gordon, mccreary. I also like josh jobe late. plus woolen is also interesting as mid rounder and jobe seems like a solid mid rounder too

2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yeah, all of this. I might even drill down a little deeper and illustrate the point with Exhibit A -- Jermaine Johnson.

First off, JV is dead-on-balls right - UGA played a heavy DL rotation, which just about every offense tried to counter with with sugar-huddles and fast play. That only works for as long as it's working, and it never really did. Maybe the first half of the Tennessee game and up until the last two minutes of the first half of the Florida game (which is just about the greatest two minutes of defensive football I've ever seen). Add to that, the Georgia starting defense really only played four quarters of football in two or three games. The first game against Clemson and both CFP games. Every other games was either well in-hand by the start of the third quarter or locked down my mid-third. Georgia's DL spent the second half of most games on the bench. Also, for the first two months of the season, UGA's best defensive player and biggest pass-rush threat was OLB Adam Anderson, and that's where most of the pass rush was generated until his suspension (note also, the judge in Anderson's case has ok'ed him to attend UGA's pro-day, although I haven't heard yet whether or not Georgia will invite him). Consider all of that together, along with JV's point about all of the talent around him, and I'd say that Walker's stats are pretty solid.

Which brings me to my point about Jermaine Johnson. Take him out of that rotation and make him a feature pass rusher on the Florida State defense and you have the ACC Player of the Year. If Jermaine stayed at UGA, he'd have been part of that same DL rotation and still would have had a crapload of sacks, but I can't imagine he'd have racked up the same POTY numbers.

Last point on Travon Walker - he shined in the biggest moments. Take out the SEC Championship game when the whole defense looked sluggish and just plain beat. The Clemson game, Auburn rivalry game and both CFP games - those were Travon's best games.

#242 Sundayjack, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Jojo and REVISion like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But you seemed to indicate that the teams have already decided who they want before the combine, based largely on the game tape you cite here, so how is it "more efficient" to run the combine at all? Your reference to interviews is why I suggested that they could be handled regionally and would require nothing more than some hotel or office facilities.

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I said this in some other thread - I LOVE Jordan Davis, because he's such a nice kid and he's super athletic for a behemoth. And I really do hope he has a HOF career. BUT, I'm concerned what an NFL paycheck and little adversity might do to him. Davis never really loved football. He always saw himself as a basketball player, until it was clear that his frame was pushing him into football full-time. Even with that, when he faced competition as a UGA freshman, he almost quit. Credit to the upperclassmen in the DL room, they made Jordan their pet project. By his junior year, he started to break out, but Georgia kept a tight hand on just about everything that kid did and every scrap of food he put in his mouth to keep him from blowing up to 370 pounds. My point here is - Jordan Davis was good when his team was winning and when Georgia had a rigid support structure focused around him. Chances are he won't have either of those things in the NFL. I just hope he learned enough to succeed when those are there anymore.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I already explained it, not going in circles with you.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

?????

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

There are so many college teams and yes I like Bama but I LOVE the jets. I too want only what’s in their best interest. The way I evaluate prospects is the Ron Wolfe way “trust your eyes”. It’s really that simple. I feel that players that are game breakers simply jump off the screen when they were coming out (AP/Megatron/Elway/Peyton). Some need to be coached up to unleash their talent in a particular system to unleash their talent (Favre/Mahomes/Montana/Rodgers). The latter is much much harder to hit on. So all in all I like prospects that have long term success and show dominance against stiff competition on a regular basis. Flash in the pan prospects are all boom or bust.

#247 Rockinz, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Red Menace likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I get it. i know you do. As I said you could be completely right. the draft is a crapshoot. I do things the same way as you, I just didn't see it the same but to each their own. at the end of the day all we can do is trust JD and hope he does good. I just see film on burks more like harry and mims then he does a megatron. he didn't jump for me at all.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Burks reminds me of AJ Browns tape when he came out. Problem was AJ was overshadowed by DK so there isn’t a huge sample size. Burks sample size is HUGE he straight up killed it for 3 years and in high school. I just don’t think he’s a prospect that needs to be coached up as much and has that ability to make plays whether it’s fighting for a first down, going up for 50/50 balls with his size and strength, running away from DBs, running through tackles. rushing out the backfield, playing outside or the slot, punt returner and so on. His stiff arm alone is one of the best I’ve seen from a wide receiver maybe ever… I think he fits a receiver that Wilson can rely on to do so many things. His injury history is clean too so building chemistry is easier when your on the field together.

LAJet likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is a lot to like to be sure. But getting 50/50 balls was not his strength. He was in low 40s in contested catch rate this and last year. I don't think he is a type of guy whom you can through the ball to, and he can get it. That's Drake London. And the fact Burks athletic score came lower can help explain why his contested catch is lower when compared to other more athletic receivers. He is definitely good at YAC though, which is explained as you said by his strength. But athletic score IS a knock against him. Otherwise there would be no point to have a combine. It should not change his position much, but it does have SOME impact. Perhaps enough to knock him a few spots from #10.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think there is a very strong possibility that 4 Edge Rushers will go in the top 9 picks, and maybe even 5. I do think Edge is were the Jets should probably strike with the #4 pick, because without a strong QB group, teams will be all about the pass rushers in the top 10. You could get WR1, CB2, or other top players at various positions at #10, but you’d be picking ED 5 or 6 at #10.

12. Red Menace

Your a smart poster, you know the history of the NFL and the combine, you also know they had regional combines and NFL changed it and decided to have all the players come to one place for the combine.

Reason why they will not go away from current format is simple, the combines are held for the benefit of interviews and the media nowadays, it generates interest in the off season, since the NFL is a business they do it for the money as well.

Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we can tempt the Giants with to trade their first two picks for our first two picks we can get Gardener and still have pick seven for an edge rusher or a trade down.

Otherwise what we do at pick ten will be heavily dependent on what other teams do.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Why would the Giants do that? I’d rather have 5 and 7 than 4 and 10

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  15. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

No Shultz, got tagged. Looks like we will need to take TE high in draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#255 Sack exchange, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Because they just have to have the guy available at pick four.

17. Sack exchange

Please no Hamilton. Target Cine later, he is beast.

Jojo likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This, 1000%.

19. Red Menace

This is what I believe will happen as well, but I believe it will happen in middle of first round, with a heavy run of offensive linemen. That’s why I don’t want Jets to trade back, they have a chance to grab 4 impact playmakers that can help day one, the board will gift the Jets 2 playmakers in the second round.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Sack exchange

Almost certain we will not trade back, will take the BPA at slotted spots. Will end up with top elite players at 4 and 10. Early second will end up with really nice players that were really 1st round grades. So hopefully 4 starters day one!

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.