Combine Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I like him too, also Olave as well, and might be there at 35…. I like Watson, he is like 6’ 4”. And fast. Not sure where he lands as far as where in draft…. But might be steal! Reminds me of Cooper Kupp…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Just a reminder, Denzel Mims ran a 4.38 and benched 16x with strong explosion numbers. Dude is a lazy slacker though. These interviews are as Or. more important

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

4. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

D.K. says hi

b.reyes16 likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If what you're saying is true do you expect to see the NFL stop doing the combine then? It makes no sense to run it if all the teams have their minds made up already. If the interviews are important they could run two or three regional sites to get players and teams in the same place.

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's most important for the small school guys and cluster busting. Lots of small school guys have great tape but it's against lower level competition, so it's good to get as much data on those guys as possible. Guys like UTSA's Tariq Woolen and NDSU's Christian Watson wouldn't be valued as highly as they will be after the combine, despite having good tape.

It's also a great tool to break up ties (cluster busters) among players teams see as similarly graded/talented.

Tldr; it's just one of many tools that should be used in evaluation and by no means is it the most important. Trust the tape over all.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You misspelled N’Keal Harry

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The NFL used to do it the way you mentioned, however they found a way to make it more efficient.

How do you think the NFL knows what 300 players to invite? As soon as the draft is over, the scouts will start compiling information on next years batch, while we are on the Gang Green bashing or praising this years draft.

One of the categories that takes place during combine is player interviews, they are allowed to interview 60 players with a 15 minute time limit.

NFL executives have a list of the players they want to interview, Burks, Breece, Jermaine Johnson…etc all of these young men have been seen live and on tape by executives and scouts many times and have already been graded.

A 15 minute interview is not going to replace game tape, it may be used to tweak the board but Jets are ready for their first pick right now.

#228 Red Menace, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well i'll just be honest here. We clearly aren't going to see the same things. I do think you are looking at things more as a fan or more on the positive side, then an objective look. I mean for me I don't root for any college team or care about college football. i don't have any attachment or feelings towards any prospect. I just want the best people for the jets. I mean even calling a clear penalty saying it wasn't makes it hard to have this conversation. I don't think you get "extending the arms" people say that becuase it makes it more obvious, just because you don't extend your arms doens't make it a penalty. Throwing a guy forward so they can't stop to break on a ball is the definition of OPI getting away with it doesn't mean it wasn't OPI

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Now that the combine has happened things are starting to get exciting.

With our first two picks I would target pass rush and corner back.

If we would be happy with the fourth or fifth best pass rusher we could either target Gardener or acquire more picks while still getting studs at both positions.

I think that these positions thin out after the first round.

There should be plenty of talent at running back, linebacker, and wide receiver.

One player that might be a great value even if it means trading up into round one is Devonte Wyatt.

With Jordan Davis taking the spotlight and shooting up the draft boards Wyatt might end up being the better value.

The first two rounds are packed.

If trading away our third and / or fourth round picks gets us elite talent I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  11. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I think we stand pat with 1st 2 picks, I don’t think there will not be trade down…. 2nd -3rd rounds are a sweet spot this draft. So I think no trade downs there either. BPA on the picks! We need to come out of first round with 2 low risk elite players at 4 and 10, edge and OL/WR, we don’t need mid 1st round round players. Thus no trade down. This is about quality not quantity. Look at 2020 draft, that trade down looks disastrous today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#231 Sack exchange, Mar 7, 2022
    Red Menace likes this.
  12. b.reyes16

This is key. We need to bring in as much quality talent as possible. If that means moving some of our later round picks to get into better draft position, so be it. The only caveat for me there is i wouldn't trade up into the first if it means both of our seconds. A second and a third, I'm open to it, but 2 seconds would be steep unless we're getting pretty early into the first (unlikely).

When it's all said and done, i would not be surprised if the Jets made 3 first round selections this year.

I'm also open to trading down in the first if there's a willing partner, but we shouldn't be looking to do the same with those 2's. There are going to be quality players that fall out of the first at this spots.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think trading our 2nd and 3rd to move up would be foolish and it contradicts the bold above. 2nd round picks bring quality talent, and to a lesser degree, so do 3rd round picks. Giving up two quality players to get one of a little higher quality isn't wise in our position imo. If we were already a playoff team and didn't have all the holes, that would be one thing, but we're not a playoff team, and DO have a bunch of holes and depth issues.

The 2nd round pick alone could be better than the low 1st round pick, but when added to the 3rd round pick, it could really be a lopsided bad trade up. We cannot afford to fall in love with players and trade up. We have too many holes. I can see not trading down, although with there being so many good prospects in the 2nd round, I could see trading down from #10 five or so spots and adding a 2nd round pick and maybe a 6th. At #15 we could still get a player at or about the same level as #10, and adding another 2nd round pick would be awesome. For that matter, trading down with Philly and getting the #16 and #19 picks would be awesome as well imo. I will be totally pissed if JD burns draft capital trading back into the 1st round. As much as I like Burks and some other players in this draft, I wouldn't trade up for any of them, not even Hutch or KT.

#233 NCJetsfan, Mar 7, 2022
    joelip and b.reyes16 like this.
  14. b.reyes16

I'm open to trading a 3 if we moved up enough from one of our 2's to make it worthwhile. Not to say 3's are worthless but there is undoubtedly a higher chance of hitting in the first round than in the third. I'd much rather move a 4th or 5th instead, but that's not exactly going to get teams excited.

There are very few round 3 or later players in the draft that end up being hits; very low chance of getting a solid day 1 starter that late. Depth is important, sure, but we have too many holes to be worried about depth.

That trade with Philly would be great but i think they'll be content with where they are. I don't see any signs that they're looking to move on from Hurts

15. GasedAndConfused

I don't really get why fans want a CB that high? If you could explain to me your thinking id' appreciate it.

for me personally, CB isn't that important in this system. you just need smart fast players to zone up. you don't need an elite man to man revis. this defense has made stars out of mediocre CBs time and time again. it's a very CB friendly system. hall and echols both performed well and I wouldn't mind adding in some competition later on (maybe a josh jobe or kylar gordon) and carter was a solid Ni as a rookie and guidry is a really good dime. we could use depth though as dunn was awful and pinnock failed and got moved to safety already and was better there. so 1 more late i'm good with but I don't understand the early pick CB

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. b.reyes16

I wasn't too high on taking a CB, but it is clearly a position of need. Edge is king, but you still need corners who can cover. Outside of Hall, our secondary was beaten like a drum all year and not a single one of them is adept at creating turnovers.

Outside of the need aspect of it, Gardner is looking like a unicorn. He would instantly upgrade the secondary with a playmaker and give us a fine young CB duo. Echols and Carter played as well as you could expect a mid round rookie to play at CB this past year, but they're clearly depth players and not outside NFL starters. If Sauce is the pick at 4 or 10, you won't hear any complaints from me.

Drafting an edge rusher who can contribute on day 1 should help the secondary as well, so if KT or Hutch are there at 4 or 10, you probably take them over Sauce. But after that? The secondary (+Hamilton) help needs to be on the table cause there isn't another clear cut edge who is worth a top 10 pick.

James Hasty likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

I could see some saying CB is a need. I agree we could use another guy in there, i'm just wondering why so high. Sure the Cbs were beated but not really. alot was lack of a rush and poor Lber and S play. echols and hall actually played really well on the outsides. a lot of our issues came when echols was hurt and dunn and pinnock got a chance on the outside and were awful. dunn eventually got benched while pinnock was moved to safety and seemed like a decent depth safety. I've reviewed film on the CB room and I think echols has a ton of potential. I think he was already solid but has the looks of a CB2 for sure. @MaximusD163 actually felt he has the potential to be CB1 and better then hall. I can't say he's wrong either. it's possible. i think people are sleeping on ehcols a lot. carter was a solid Ni and guidry is an above average dime (and a decent Ni if need be becuase injury) I do feel we need depth, i don't want carter or guidry on the outside or dunn on the field at all so a josh jobe later on could fit that role.

We don't play a lot of man or blitz a lot so the secondary just covers zones and plays the QB while the d-line gets a rush with 4. Lber was an issue too but we were banged up. we need some younger faster better LBers for sure. hopefully sherwood can fill a spot but i think we need a mosley replacement too at some point. A guy like damone clark in the 4th could fill that.

18. James Hasty

I am a big believer in taking what the draft gives you.

The first round has some really great options at corner this year.

Having good corners that can cover their man with little or no help means more support up front against the run which was sorely lacking last year.

Bryce Hall is solid but having someone across from him that can lock his man down makes life much easier.

19. GasedAndConfused

If your theory is just BPA then yeah I get that. if he's the top player on your board and it fills a need I get it.
    So it's not necessarily targeting a CB in round 1, it's just taking what the draft gives you for round 1 and not reaching for a need. I can never say no to that theory

20. James Hasty

What has me stumped is whether we should take the CB or pass rusher first.

It seems like there are at least five stud pass rushers while one of the CBs might be head and shoulders above the rest.

The combine really changed my view that we absolutely have to get the pass rusher first.