The Ukrainian situation

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by typeOnegative13NY, Feb 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm sure many Russian soldiers have family and friends in Ukraine. It wouldn't be all that surprising if some Russian soldiers flip. No matter how small the number that could be slightly problematic for Putin especially if intelligence is involved. Anyway, the whole thing is distressing. Putin a despot in a world of other despots. The bigger despot will win.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no he’s really not. He’s always trollin

3. BrowningNagle

I saw this question play out live with a republican politician on the newsmax channel last night.

Of course on that wacky channel he was bashing Biden but the interviewer asked him what should he do differently? And the republican, from Texas, answered with things Biden is already doing. Sanctions, align with allies, talk to the American people. It was weird

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

It’s the largest minority group in Russia. It would be like if we invaded Mexico. Bombing our brothers and sisters we share blood with would be very unpopular

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This interview hit home for me. Man that’s sad. “We know we are on our own on the ground. We will fight for our home land. We are a proud people,” to summarize.

Steve Harrigan is on the ground in the Ukraine for Fox with a helmet and bulletproof vest and what not and they asked his opinion on it and I thought it made sense. He said Ukraine has no shot in the short term, but they will win in the long term. It’s easy to take a city, it’s hard to hold it. He compared it to the Chechen war where Russia thought they were take the country in two hours and they were there for ten years.

joelip likes this.
  6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the right thing for us to do is here. But it’s hard to see these people fight alone, and know we have marched for less bullshit (Iraq). Putin knows that the majority of Ukrainians want to be part of Europe, so what does that mean for how they will be treated once Russia takes hold .

7. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

There seems to be a growing consensus among both Republicans and Democrats that the correct action for the U.S. is immediately to impose all the strongest possible economic and other sanctions on Russia. The EU and UK have already started the process.

The Ukranian appeal for U.S. imposition of a no-fly zone is obviously more complicated. Based on reading some of the comments on this site (some of which make me want to vomit for their callousness and stupidity), some "Americans" are more interested in making excuses for Russia and getting in shots at their political enemies than in standing up for what is right. So it's pretty clear that there will be no American interest in providing military backup in any capacity. I'm not sure that we can or even should impose the no-fly zone Ukraine requests, as the possibility of expanding this conflict into WW III must be weighed. However, if Russia attacks the Baltic States or if Russia's buddy China invades Taiwan, we will be in full battle mode.

I am heartened to see that some people (not all) are waking up to the global threat represented by Russia as well as by their authoritarian buddy, China.

#287 joelip, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    papapump likes this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We’re not imposing a no fly zone in the Ukraine.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Russia beat us to it

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Peace through strength only works if you actually plan to use force when provoked to a certain point. Do you think we should use force against Russia or not? If yes, then that's contrary to most of the opposition against Biden, including on this thread. If no, then all the macho military ads in the world wouldn't make a difference; Putin is shrewd enough to see through those.

11. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

13. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Would Trump strike Russia back? I don't think so. Should Biden strike Russia? I don't think he should.

But I don't think this would be happening if Trump was the president. Trump worked toward forming a relationship with Russia and treated them like they were capable of doing something like this. Biden has been hostile toward Russia and underestimated what Putin would do, like you said Putin was shrewd enough to see through it.

Now what? I don't know. Is it too late to work things out with Putin? I don't think so, but treating him the way Europe and US has, has resulted in this.

14. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

So, if we had been nicer to Putin he would have given up his long-standing desire for reconstituting the USSR and dominating Europe? I don't think so. I think that he saw his plans for blowing up NATO (with the help of a few important stooges in the U. S.) go up in smoke, and the walls of Ukraine attraction to the West closing in, so he had to make his move as soon as his preparations were ready.

15. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Russia most prized ally is China. I find it mind boggling that some american are supportive of Russia and see China as a threat. I could never comprehend that. Go look at all recent China/Russia partnership. They have the same ambitions.

16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

17. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Totally different. Russia doesn't do much outside of their immediate surroundings, while China literally owns our economy.

18. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Not saying to be nicer to Putin, but you dont have treat Russia like an enemy either. Trump treated Russia the same way he treated European countries. Nothing wrong with that. Things remained relatively peaceful during his term.

Are you sure thats Putins goal? Or is it Putins response to the fact EU and NATO exist?

Why wasn't NATO disbanded after the Soviet Union fell? Wasnt NATO created to combat the Soviet Union.

Perhaps if NATO wasn't a thing, Putin wouldn't feel the need to reacquire the territories that NATO was created to combat.

Cause and effect. After USSR fell, NATO should have left.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Calm down Karen...

20. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

China own american economy? The same first economical power in the world? I would say the opposite China rely way on the American Economy to survive.

It is also interesting to know that the economy is more a threat for american than democracy and freedom?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.