Open Letter to Joe Douglas - Write your wish list or warn him in advance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

"You can never have enough Tebow..."

Again continuity is something that is taken into account by Family oriented candidates. Stability means you're not selling a house or moving out 2 years after you move in. Although there are only 32 GM jobs, there is still a hierarchy as to what jobs are attractive and what jobs aren't. What Organizations are stable and which ones are trainwrecks. Woody has been running this trainwreck for over 20 years now and perception more often than not becomes reality. For the same reason why the Jets will have to overpay for premium FA talent, the same applies for GM talent. If it comes to this in 2025, lets hope Woody doesn't go shopping at Dollar General for his next GM candidate. There are two people who can avoid this scenario.. JD and Saleh.

#41 Cman68, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Give me money. Money me. Money now. Me a money needing a lot now.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why are you talking about two years - he's already going on three? The question is about giving Douglas the full six years of his contract if he hasn't shown any progress in four or five. What's to gain other than the continuity of failure?

4. Cman68

There's only one definition of progress that matter and that belongs to Woody. . Another 4 win season will raise eyebrows as it should. Another 2020 failure draft will warm his seat substantially. Again, the image of the Jets being a functional organization with a future depends on the leadership and how successful or not it is.
    All JD has to do is show marginal improvement and he will last his contract. No quantum leaps required, just marginal improvement. Near the end, Leon Hess got tired of the bullshit and hired Parcells. Those teams were worse but this version is 12 losing years into a playoff drought. JD does have his work cut out for him but I think Woody will keep things as they are unless a total collapse happens. What's to gain with continuity of leadership? A better image than the present one of ineptitude of ownership. Even if the team wins several more games, that's all the evidence of improvement Woody will need to stay the course. Woody by now has to be tired of all the snickers at the owner's meetings when he walks by. Bad enough he looks like Mr. Mackey from South Park, 20 years in and his team still sucks. Horrible image.

#44 Cman68, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Woody Johnson's definition of progress does not matter in the slightest to me; I doubt you would find many Jets fans who care about his opinion. I also do not give one small crap about "the image of the Jets," I just want a team that the scoreboard says is getting better. All I ask for is marginal improvement, but that's where consistency is important - a few consecutive years of marginal improvement will not leave the Jets with just five or six wins and only five or six key players by year six of the Douglas contract.

I'll ask again, if the Jets only win five or six games in year five of JD's contract and player development is confined to a handful of players, why would you, Johnson, or anyone want to give him another year for that type of consistency? Do you really want to protect that image?

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. Cman68

You'll have to ask Woody. He's the last word and its his decision to make. If he wants consistency and willing to go to the end of JD's contract? That's the way its gonna be period. Fans being pissed is nothing new in the New York area. Jets have to show improvement but its Woody's opinion of what that improvement looks like that matters. If Woody thinks 5 wins is improvement, so be it. If its 6 wins that makes Woody happy? Fine. If they go 7-10 and Woody thinks that deserves an extension? JD gets his extension. Woody calls the shots. Nobody else. Not you, not me, not the media, not the fans.. Woody signs the checks. He calls the shots.

#46 Cman68, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  7. Ralebird

Everything you write here I agree with but that doesn't explain why you're so sure Douglas will still be riding the bus if the team looks the same in two years as it does now. Do you really think crap on the scoreboard, the standings and in the locker room would be acceptable to Johnson for the sake of consistent submediocrity?

"I'm happy winning thirty percent of the time" - W. Johnson

8. Cman68

Yep.. Woody has shown no interest in demanding excellence from his team. If the team continues winning 4 games a year, I don't see how Woody doesn't make changes but since he's not a "football guy", even after 20 years of owning a team, I don't think he really know when to pull the trigger. This is where a knowledgeable VP of Football Ops would step in. Since we don't have one of those, we're stuck with Mr. Mackey.

9. Ralebird

So, you and Johnson are both locked into the status quo...forever?

10. Cman68

I'm not locked into anything. You're the one in loopback. I've long since separated my expectations for the Jets from the reality of the Jets. I've been in "show me" mode for a long time. If they win? Great. If they lose? just another game in another losing season. 4wins? no different really from 5, 6 or 7 wins. Still a losing season in a long line of losing seasons. "Progress" is relative. Some people chose the bright side. Some don't. The status quo is something I have no control over and as such, I have nothing vested either way.

When the Jets make the playoffs, I'll call that progress. Between now and then, I have other more rewarding endeavors to pursue.

Just to be clear, I watch and root for the Jets. I am not a "Fanatic" of the Jets. Not for a long, long time..

11. Ralebird

Then perhaps I misinterpreted your statement that Douglas will be around for the full six years of his contract which you did not qualify at all regarding what they do before then barring a morals clause infraction.

12. Cman68

I qualified it as far as I care to.. If that's not enough for you? Oh well...

#52 Cman68, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022