JD should take Hamilton without hesitation at 4....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NYJ1970, Feb 22, 2022.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I never noticed, my brain did that thing that reads the correct word and not the error lol, he'll be plowing a lone furrow with that line anyway :D

I don't dislike Hamilton either tbh #4 bit rich maybe but depends on who is still there, #10 it would be a no brainer for sure.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

What this team really needs, rather than cherry picking among the best talent in this draft, is for Wilson to take the next step in his development. I see many posts saying we need another WR or TE. The WR, TE corps is good right now. What we need is Wilson to connect with them consistently. We need OL help. I feel the OL is decent enough if Wilson starts to play as he is capable of. We need Edge. That's true but it has to be remembered that getting a good edge rusher is as hard as finding a good QB. RB, CB, DL are decently staffed. Could use help at LB but not at #4. Now we come to safety which really is a position of need, therefore, if they take Hamilton at 4, a consensus talent, I think that would be a good pick for Jets in this draft if the pass rushers are gone. The future success of this team rests with Wilson at this point. As a result, I don't feel strongly one way or the other who is taken as the top picks as long as they're deserving of the pick position.

LAJet likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I really do like Hamilton but taking him at four if there is a top-tier edge or OL available is an extremely tough sell. And I don’t know who else got that bleacher report notification… But taking Hamilton at four and then doubling down with defense at 10 might cause protests in Florham Park. Depending on what we do in free agency, and I’m going to assume the only big-name offensive player we go after is Schultz, you just can’t do that with two picks in the top 10 and convince people you are trying to build around a young quarterback.

Hamilton and one of the top three receivers? OK I can buy that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

We have arguably the worst tight end room in the league. Actually I don’t even know if it’s arguable. We have the worst tight end room in the league.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

If both edge rushers are gone

Hamilton
    Wilson or London
    Package a2 and a3 to trade back into the first for Penning
    Tre McBride w/ the other 2nd

Thoughts?

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think JD will draft a pass-rusher before a safety only b/c he said that his priorities (after QB) are the lines.

7. BroadwayAaron

For me it would be hard to walk out of the draft without any top-tier edge rushers. I like all the guys you listed but it would be kind of a bummer to trade picks and not end up with a proven player.

that being said, on paper it would be really hard to complain adding those four guys… Preferably London over Wilson but would gladly take either.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OMy F*ckin God please no Safety at the Gem # 4 spot !!..or its back to Idzik/Mac stupidity

I am hoping an EDGE falls to us ....if not we need a premium Offensive Line so its Ekonwu 3 XS for me please

Go shore up our shitty defense in round 2

Then again this argument is moot depending on FA results next month

Savatage likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Where would Troy Polamalu be drafted if we knew what we know today? (stillcurtain.com)

Where would Troy Polamalu be drafted if we knew what we know today?

The Pittsburgh Steelers were able to land Troy Polamalu with the 16th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, but here’s where he would go if we knew what we know today.

One of the NFL’s most influential players embodies exactly what it meant to be a Pittsburgh Steeler, and he let his play do the talking for him. After a historic NFL career that included 4 first-team All-Pro honors, 8 Pro Bowls, Defensive Player of the Year honors, and 2 Super Bowl wins, it’s interesting to look back on his career and think about where he would have gone in the 2003 NFL Draft if we knew then what we knew now.

Though often injured, Polamalu’s career was nothing short of magnificent. His violent and scrappy play left no regard for his own body – instead, using it as an instrument to simply help the Steelers win football games. This football legend clearly changed the game and there was no other quite like him. Looking back on his Hall of Fame career, where would Polamalu have gone in a 2003 re-draft?

The 2003 draft class isn’t exactly one that will go down in history. It wasn’t loaded with elite quarterback prospects, and many of the players drafted in the first round had very average NFL careers (which makes passing on Polamalu an even bigger kick in the pants to some of the teams before him).

While plenty of teams were no doubt satisfied with the performances they received out of the player they took in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft, I can make a case that Troy Polamalu would have been a top-two overall pick, if we knew then what we know now.

Let’s start with the players drafted ahead of him in 2003. Quarterback and former college roommate, Carson Palmer was the first overall pick that year. While nobody is denying that quarterbacks make a bigger difference than any other position on the field, perhaps the Cincinnati Bengals would have taken a player that could have gone down as the best in their history over the quarterback who they would only have for seven seasons.

After Palmer, there were several huge disappointments like WR Charles Rodgers, DT Dewayne Robertson, and DT Johnathan Sullivan. However, there were also some pretty spectacular players who were drafted in the first round like WR Andre Johnson, OT Jordan Gross, EDGE Terrell Suggs, and CB Terrance Newman.

While we could argue that offensive tackle and edge defender are typically more important than most NFL safeties, there’s not a chance Troy Polamalu gets taken after any of these players in an NFL re-draft.

Now let’s look at some of the most notable players to be drafted after Polamalu. Players like RB Larry Johnson, CB Nnamdi Asomugha, and TE Dallas Clark certainly had good enough careers to be drafted much higher than they were, but I’m very confident none of these names would be taken above Polamalu in a re-draft. Likewise, the best of the rest in the following rounds like TE Jason Witten, WR Anquan Boldin, CB Rashean Mathis, and teammate Ike Taylor would have skyrocketed their draft status in a re-draft, but Polamalu still takes the cake.

However, one of the most notable players of the entire 2003 class wasn’t even drafted: Dallas Cowboys quarterback, Tony Romo. Of this entire group, he’s the only player I see being taken over Polamalu in an NFL re-draft. Though Romo was never considered the very best quarterback in the league, he was clearly better than Palmer and a great quarterback simply makes a bigger impact on the field than even the best non-quarterbacks.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

In the above Troy Palumala copy/paste, I turned the name of one player taken ahead of Troy to RED. Because I saw red when I saw his name...

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Gave up 2 first round picks to move up to get him. Let Coles go in order to get the second of those two 1st rd picks. Disaster all over

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.

With the exception of QB, what you're saying about safety, honestly can apply to every position on the field. Joe Thomas played in zero playoff games, Calvin Johnson only played in 2, etc.

Yes, could a great edge have a bigger impact than a great safety? Sure, but there might not be that great safety available at 4 and on a team that is almost entirely devoid of blue chip talent, adding one should be a major priority.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hamilton is fine at 4 or 10
    WR's no chance at #4 not even sure with #10 tbh
    I'm not trading back up for a LT when we have two already tbh

I do love McBride though but with what pick #38 may be reaching, a possible trade back and pick up a couple of extras and select him around #50? Saying that his stock is on the rise and he may well be the first TE off the board.

I'd hate to be the GM in this draft so many players to pick or miss out on if you look for value lol

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not sure how you could. Hamilton is the consensus best safety prospect since Adams 5 years ago and even regarded as a better prospect than Adams by some. Ekwonu isn't even the best OL prospect of the last 2 years (Sewell) and isn't even the clear best OL prospect in this draft.

15. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

See: Wilson, Kyle.

16. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Is it April 28th yet? Damn, it's going to be a long wait and I'll probably change my mind or be swayed 100 times before then.

apjbfc and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We all know the positions that Joe Douglas values most, and Safety is not one of them. However, that does not matter if Hamilton is by far the best talent and value available when the Jets pick at #4. I could definitely see Douglas and the Jets picking him. We still don't know what the Jets are doing in Free Agency. The players they sign will slightly tip their hand when it comes to the draft. I'd be fine with the pick though depending what happens with picks 1-3 before it.

KingRoach likes this.
  18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This team's focus should be drafting and making trades on the offensive side of the ball, so that they can best evaluate whether or not they have a franchise quarterback. That should be their top priority. Once that has been established, draft all the defense you want.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Normally I would not agree with that, but the way the Jets have been built the last 20+ years almost completely ignored the offense. If JD did use say 3 of the 4 premium picks on offense, I don't think fans could be too upset. Like you said, it helps to continue to build around Wilson and give him the best chance to succeed. Still, the defense was so horrendous last year that they clearly can't just ignore it. It's another reason that I feel there are not too many wrong options for Douglas, because he still has plenty of holes to fill.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I like either Edge or a OT if JD believes they are worthy.....