Does anyone else NOT want the Jets to draft secondary in the first round?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by HackettSuxTNG, Feb 9, 2022.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It seems like every mock draft I see has the Jets going for that "Shut Down Corner" in the first round. Am I the only one worried that they are about to draft the next Kyle Wilson?

I'd much rather these first round picks be used on an Edge Rusher or Tyler Linderbaum.

#1 HackettSuxTNG, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think Kile would have been miles better than the one we drafted :p:p:p

I would draft him if the edges are gone and I would definitely draft him at #10 if he was still there but as ever it all depends on how it pans out.

We have no real safeties atm Maye might be back and I would give him another chance to atone for his mistakes but of course, this would be at reduced rates.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t really want to go for a defensive back in the first round because we have two top 10 picks but Hamilton is the one guy I think I would be OK with. He has franchise-altering potential. Still not sure I want to bet the farm on potential especially since we would have to use the fourth pick… He won’t be there by the 10th.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'd take hamilton for sure just becuase of how good he is and what we could do with him, but outside of hamilton I won't want to see a secondary pick for a while

Imagesrdecieving, Noam and Ralebird like this.
  5. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

Only if it will prevent Zach from getting sacked 9 times in a game versus say Buffalo? Otherwise no!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There aren’t a whole lot of scenarios I think I’ll end up disappointed with the way the Jets draft. I will be disappointed if we double up on position groups on defense though. I don’t want to see a safety and a corner taken in the first four picks or two defensive lineman for example.

I like the tiered approach to defense. I’m good with doubling up on receivers, or receiver/tightend and/or offensive line though because it’s to the benefit of developing the second year QB. And a lot of it will be dependent on what we do in free agency.

NYJFOREVER, Cidusii and LAJet like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Getting an Edge Rusher is what our Defense really really needs ..that's the priority not a Corner

So that pick in first round would suck and remind me of something Macagnan would have done

Also not grabbing a WR with one of our 2 first round picks would signal a massive fail

These mock drafts must be cooked up by Jets haters

ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

defo REALLY leaps off the screen when you watch tape

9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’d rather take a lock down corner (a position we def need) than a C (a position we don’t need)

10. Richard Lyman

Richard Lyman New Member

Why I would take Hamilton at 4. He is probably the safest pick in the draft. Jets can't afford to miss with the #4 pick.
    I also really like Gardner and wouldn't mind him at 10 if we took Neal or Ekwonu at 4.
    I would love to take a WR at 10 but am not sold on any as being - can't miss. WR is deep this year but without clear cut #1.

KingRoach likes this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Using a top 15 pick on a DB is a waste of a valuable resource, CB or Safety. Yes, both need to be upgraded, especially Safety, but the Jets have needs at more impactful positions. IMO they need an Edge, a WR, a RG, C, and LB over S or CB.

Leicester Jet and Noam like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Depending on where we end up drafting, I'd be fine with taking a CB in the 1st.

Would I want a CB/S at 4 or 10? I don't think so, unless Hamilton slips to 10.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Help your QB, hit the other teams QB. Take one of the OTs (Neal or Ekwonu) or KT at 4. Take Burks or Wilson at 10.

I expect one of safety spots to be filled in FA via someone like Marcus Williams or Jesse Bates and the other to be a day 2 or day 3 selection. I think the Jets coaching staff is content running it back with Hall/Echols/Carter II. I definitely expect them to add a veteran depth piece at CB though.

mrjet80 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. KingRoach

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm warming up to the idea of Hamilton at #4 if Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are gone and no trade downs are possible. He seems like a special prospect rather than another Jamal Adams. A top 5 pick on a safety is a lot, but spending $15m+/yr on a solid free agent safety (i.e. Jesse Bates or Marcus Williams) is also a lot and I prefer the former between the two options - not the only approaches, of course, but I see these scenarios projected frequently. If they do stick with their current top 3 at CB, which we continue to get the impression Saleh really likes, maybe a potential dynamic and star S like Hamilton would be more indicated and palatable given the CBs would consist solely of Day 3 picks on rookie contracts.
    I am not expecting a CB in the 1st, but wouldn't be upset with someone like Gardner though Stingley worries me a bit. Honestly, there aren't many things that could happen at 4 to upset me given how much talent is needed for this team

KingRoach and Richard Lyman like this.
  17. KingRoach

With a deep EDGE class, if Thib and Hutch go, I’d be down to get Hamilton and a CB then grab an EDGE in the late 1st/2nd. Below is something realistic I’d be pretty happy with.

Hamilton
    Gardner
    Enagbare/D. Hunter

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.

Edit:
    RG - FA (OL are like fine wine, they get better with age)
    WR - FA/Trade (see above)
    TE - FA (deep class)

#17 KingRoach, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  18. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I agree that a lock down corner is not what we need. But I do think a generational safety prospect is worth it

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Up until Douglas the Jets had focused - and invested tens of millions of dollars - on defense. How many championships did that get them?

It's an offense- oriented league and has been for the last 20 years. The Jets were just two decades late in getting the memo.

Brook! likes this.
  20. KingRoach

Spending repeated 1st rd picks on DL multiple years in a row makes as sense as wanting to pick another LT this year….

I didn’t think I needed to point out the obvious, both an O and a D are both important… but defenses win championships. Don’t believe me? Just look at the last 10 Super Bowls