Draft 2022. What position Is a must for us?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by IIMeanDeanII, Feb 16, 2022.

?

What position Is a MUST for you? 2022

1. CB

2. TE

3. EDGE

4. RB

5. LB

6. WR

7. DT

8. QB

9. S

10. OL

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Every year, you have strengths and depth by position In every draft. Sometimes that aligns for your team, other times It unfortunately doesn't. I'm a believer In strategically drafting based on the strength of the draft regardless of need. That's my deal, not the point of the thread.

I am curious what TGG thinks of this draft Vs our roster.

What position group Is a MUST for the 2022 draft?

What position would upset you If Joey D didn't draft someone from that position?

2. IIMeanDeanII

For me...

EDGE

The talent and depth at this position group VS the importance of this position In a Robert Saleh defense.

It's too perfect.

I'm also thrilled because I'm finding myself being blown away by prospects I didn't pay much attention to throughout the season. That I'm now getting the chance to watch tape on. They just keep rolling out as I watch more and more on these prospects. It's a very deep class. It would be criminal to me If we somehow neglect this position this year.

I just got done watching a lot of Boye Mafe out of Minnesota. He's a very impressive young man In a long line of impressive young men at the position.

I will be really disappointed If we don't go EDGE this year. Very disappointed.

3. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

We just ended the year with our second top 3 overall pick running for his life with no protection or weapons.

IMO, we can’t have to 2 quarterbacks bust and not even be able to get a fair assessment of their talents, let alone ruining them.
    Save the majority of defensive needs for next year.

mrjet80, Ewok54, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

This is an interesting question. It’s not quite the same as what is our biggest need, which to me is DE. But what is a must? I think to run this defense to its optimum you need an excellent free safety. That’s why I’m in the Kyle Hamilton bandwagon. Earl Thomas and Cam chancellor rolled into one.

Not to get off topic, but then you take the best DE at 10 in a DE heavy class, hopefully Ojabo. Zion Johnson at 35 and Christian Watson at 38, Dalton Shultz and the best DT we can get in free agency. then, pat ourselves on the back.

Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

This Is overexaggerated. Considering we've invested far more into the OL at this point under JD, than we have In the last decade +. I personally think we've invested enough day one picks on the OL, teams don't invest In a ton of first round talent on the OL because If you are good at what you do, you can find top OL In the later rounds of the draft. Which I am all for because I do think the OL depth In this draft Is really good too. I just don't want another top 10 pick investment at the position personally.

6. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

He was sacked 9 times vs the Bills with Keelan Cole as the best receiver. I know he holds the ball a long time, but the weapons don’t get a lot of separation. Need some depth and star power. And if they rely on Becton it’s their own fault.

#6 HC of the NYJ, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    mrjet80 likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Depends which round.

I think a WR in round one is a must and a TE in round two is a must.

mrjet80, Rockinz, Brook! and 7 others like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If I had to pick one, it would be TE. Our group was one of the worst in the NFL last year.

JohnnyP123456, mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, but as Dean said, there's a lot of potential Edge talent in this draft, and he didn't specify that he would use even a 4 or a 10 on Edge. But one way or the other I agree with him that we MUST get a stud Edge this year. And I agree with you that we still need to do a lot of work on the "O", including the OL and receiving corps. With the high value picks Douglas has it's possible for him to nail all of this "wish list", but not easy. I believe he can do it, and he must do it to enable the Jets to be competitive this year.

IIMeanDeanII and HC of the NYJ like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. While we desperately need another starting Edge, at least we have some quality players at the Edge positions (Lawson & Huff, as well as JFM at times). We have nothing at TE. That's why I picked it over Edge and WR.

Of course, it also depends upon what JD is able to do in FA, and the round.

Overall, I think the Jets must find an Edge in the draft, either sign a FA WR or draft one at #10, fix the RG position, add at least 2 TEs via FA and/or the draft, add at least 2 Ss via FA and.or the draft, add a DT via either FA or the draft, and add a RB to be the #2 behind Carter.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s close but it’s EDGE. However, at 4 if Kayvon or Hutchison is off the board I think Burks needs to be the pick. If Kayvon or Hutchison is there at 4 id take the pass rusher and hope Burks falls to 10.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Burks won’t go that high. He should still be on the board at #10. If Hutch and KT are off the board at #4 then I would say Ekwonu is the pick.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. mrjet80

I think OL and EDGE are tied for the biggest need with WR and TE a very close second. In reality all four positions are huge needs. And the Jets can get one of each if they play their cards right with four picks in the top 38.

With #4 I say don’t trade and take whoever is left from Neal, Ekwonu, KT, and Hutchinson. My gut is if KT is there he will be the pick. At #10 check the trade waters. I’m watching the Eagles closely. If somebody is there who they really crave trade down, throw in a fourth, and come away with #15 and #19. WRs like Burks and London should still be on the board - at least one of them - and perhaps OT Trevor Penning who the coaching staff was salivating over in Mobile.

In the second round you’re looking at TE - McBride - and with the other pick maybe a LB (another need but slightly below the top four needs) who slides. Safety may come into play at some point (second or third round) and with the remaining fourth round pick I’d like to see them take the best RB still on the board (there’s plenty of them).

If it worked out that way the Jets will have potentially gotten one starter for all three levels of the defense, another top OL, and 3 more playmakers for Zach.

What more could you ask for in one draft?

#13 mrjet80, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

No F’ing way we use 4th overall on a guard when the best player in the draft is sitting there in Burks.

last year Sewell was the guaranteed pick at 4 and Bengals took the best player in the draft in Chase. Let’s hope we learned from that.

15. mrjet80

Who they actually take at #4 can be debatable to an extent - if KT is there I say 99% he is the pick. This is the first time I’ve ever heard or read about Burks at #4. He is a good big WR but I can assure you he will not be the pick at #4. It’s debatable whether he is even the best WR in the draft. Some say he is some say he isn’t. I personally like him slightly better than Drake London. Ekwonu by the way is not just a guard a lot of scouts have him as a RT - possibly a LT. He is rated as high as Neal by some and the Jets OL is not a finished product by any means. Becton is an enigma at this point. Fant is solid but turning 30.

I’m pretty sure Burks will still be there at #10 if the Jets want him there.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

No such thing as we do not need to pass up the best player to reach for a scrub because we "need" to.

FJF likes this.
  17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm not saying we draft one at 4 or 10, but to me, linebacker has been such a huge hole on this team since Harris left. I would love for the Jets to find a way to get one of the top LBers in this draft.

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Difficult question to answer because so much depends on what we do in FA prior to the draft but I answered WR.

Even if we go out and trade for a Cooper/Ridley/etc., we may not have to address WR early (1st-2nd round) but I'd still like to see us draft a guy in the 3rd or later to develop. As we saw this year, we're 1-2 injuries away from trotting out the Tarik Blacks and Jeff Smiths of the world.

It's another really deep WR draft and guys like George Pickens, Wan'Dale Robinson, Kyle Phillips, Alec Pierce, Jalen Tolbert, and Romeo Doubs could be had in the 3rd round or later.

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Mafe is a sleeper for sure. Extremely explosive w/ good length and bend. However, the production wasn't quite there. I think he can be had in round 3 or 4. I'd love to get him in the building and working with our position coaches

IIMeanDeanII and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Burks could still be there at #15, but I think that after the Combine and workouts, he will zoom up the board. Atlanta could take him at #8. I've also seen mocks with Denver taking him at #9. I'm seeing that there are some negative rumors about KT. I have no idea whether they are true or not or even what the specifics are. I trust JD to find out the truth. KT may be there and we may pass on him if the rumors prove to be true.

I definitely think that JD could come out of the first two rounds of the draft with a new Edge, WR, TE, and OL, LB or S. Of course, FA will go a long way towards determining what we do in the draft. It's exciting thinking about whom we could wind up with following the offseason.

I hope that McBride makes it to the 2nd round, he may not, or even if he does, if JD has already signed Schultz or Njoku or another quality TE in FA, he may opt to wait and take Ruckert a little later. It's gonna be interesting!

ColoradoContrails likes this.