Has the division just got easier?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I agree with this. But moreso arm talent/athleticism seems to matter unless you have a killer ground game. I don’t think Mac Jones or Tua are going to scare a team due to lack of arm strength /or not a threat to run. Wilson has both, he just needs to actually put it all together.

2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Great teams lose their top Co ordinators often. The great teams have a pipeline for someone else to step up, especially with how long McDaniels has been up there. So I don't expect any drop off from Allen or Mac.

Hope Harbaugh doesn't go to Miami, he wins and he'll be gone in 4/5 years again.

If it was Harbaugh though, I would take the Vikings job knowing they don't have a great QB to contend with for too much longer. If Rodgers leaves, Vikings are primed to take that division.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Harbaugh will be the new coach in Miami, they are just working on the contract right now

4. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

So if Zach has this stat line next year, will he be considered the FQB?

68% completion
    3469 yards
    21 TD
    13 Int
    4 rushing TD

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Given equal talent (which is certainly isn't) we still have the weakest coaching staff in the division right now pending whatever Miami does.

Additionally, division opponents can get worse but it won't matter much unless our QB gets better. He just wasn't good enough last season. I understand that some things were outside of his control but he also made his share of terrible decisions that cost the team some games. He showed game manager potential towards the end of the year while providing a few wow moments on the season.

If he doesn't build on that out of the gate it'll probably be another long season.

And we need people that understand defense. People that can call plays, and players that can execute them would be a good start.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

So why is Harbaugh in Minnesota interviewing?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Leverage for one. Another thing I read was that Stephen Ross (Michigan alum) doesn’t want to be viewed as the villain that took Harbaugh away from Michigan so Harbaugh is spreading himself out and entertaining all offers.

Minnesota is a good situation for him, but Minnesota does things a certain way and have been a pretty good organization structure wise for a long time even though they just made a GM change.

Miami is also a good situation because of their cap space and decent enough roster. But Miami offers more opportunity for Harbaugh to run the organization as both a coach and VP of football operations that Minnesota doesn’t offer. Stephen Ross latches on to who he believes are smart people and will let them do whatever they want.

8. NYJFOREVER

If true, then yes, the interview for Minnesota would be for leverage.

Ian Rapoport said on the Pat McAfee show yesterday that the Miami job is down to Mike McDaniel and Kellen Moore.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If that's all he's being asked to do, the team is contending year over year, and he was throwing those TD's at just the right times, then sure, he'd be considered a FQB.

As it stands, stats like that next season would be a reason for optimism.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Probably, as that would be an immense improvement.

We'd still need to see equal or better production the next year to feel confident about it though.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It would be hard for the division to be harder than this year. Buffalo and NE both were good teams with exceptionally good defenses. Miami was one of the best teams in the league the last half of the season with a very good defense and unfortunately when we played them twice.

Our biggest obstacle to becoming competitive is our division. We got beat down in division games while being much more competitive outside the division at 4 and 7. We have a big hill to climb and it all starts with being able to win division games.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Just turned down a 2nd interview for the Vikings, if we had nabbed him last season he would have been running for a 2nd and even a 3rd interview lol

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Those are all good points, but the Jets themselves will make the division easier by becoming a better team. That is the plan, now Joe Douglas has to execute it.

ColoradoContrails, cval and REVISion like this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Depends… Allen is probably going to roll so I’m not sure if it makes a difference for Buffalo. NE, maybe, it would be nice but I suspect Belichick has other good offensive coaches. And then for Miami, just depends on who they hire instead.

15. NYJFOREVER

16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Bad sources

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think we look to be 3rd in the division next year with Miami taking a step back with a worse coach. Flores had them playing hard despite the early season failures. Not to mention who knows of the fallout of Flores accusations against them paying him to lose. I just hope it’s enough of a circus that we finally exit the AFCE basement and beat them at least once or twice.

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Miami would have to take a major step back, to be worse than we are, but I appreciate your optimism

19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I doubt it. The Dolphins are still a good team. The Bills are the best in the division. The patsies have beaten us 6 straight years.

How about we just worry about ourselves and get better?

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You are consistent, I’ll give you that.