Did Patrick Mahomes "Choke" in the AFC Championship Game?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 31, 2022.

?

Did Patrick Mahomes "Choke" in the AFC Championship Game?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

How much responsibility does Patrick Mahomes bear for the loss?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Andy Reid and Mahomes collectively choked together. They didn’t run the ball nearly enough in the second half when they were gashing them and Reid’s had trouble with this his entire career.

Mahomes had all day to throw on his last two red zone snaps of regulation and didn’t let the ball fly on either, taking -22 yards in sacks.

Not taking the field goal before the end of the half and running a long developing play instead was also awful.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Mahomes probably had the worst 31 minutes of game time (last two plays of first half, second half, OT) in his entire career - not just extremely poor execution, but mind-bogglingly poor decision making. He was incredibly bad, and that is to me not open to debate.

Whether you want to call that "choking" or not is another matter; IMO you only deserve that label after repeated failures at crunch time, and that has been far from the case in his career.

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Last year in the SB, I thought Mahomes played great and the rest of the team let him down. Mahomes started out on fire, but did not play great in that game yesterday, particularly as pointed out, the last 31 minutes.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It was as if it was the first half of the season all over again for Mahomes in the second half. He looked for the big play, took coverage sacks, got intercepted twice, and was lucky to not lose a fumble before the game tying FG was kicked.

Losmeister likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mahomes probably choked because the Bengals had so many weapons on offense.

#6 ouchy, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    The Dark Knight, KingRoach and cval like this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

His fiance and his brother.

Centiment likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I wish he was our choker tbh

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes. I don't want to discredit the Bengals, or take anything away from them, but the Chiefs completely choked. They melted down. Fell apart. Collapsed. However you want to say it. Kick the Field Goal and head into the locker room up 24-10, this thing is likely over. 5 seconds left, I don't blame Reid for the play call. That is enough time to see if a slant is open, and if not, throw it away to kick the field goal. That was on Mahomes.

That got in Mahomes' head and he was dreadful in the 2nd half. I can't blame the Chiefs defense because they allowed 14 points in the 2nd half. Not great, but certainly not terrible when you are used to having the best offense in the NFL on the other side. The Chiefs scored 3 points the entire half and nearly did not get that when Mahomes fumbled in one of the worst plays I have seen from him in his career. Then in OT he looked completely off and eventually threw an interception.

Again, the Bengals deserve some credit, they clearly made adjustments but it was definitely brutal on Mahomes' part. Honestly unacceptable. Reid needed to make adjustments though. If your QB is off, you need to help him and I don't think he did.

Overall, it was a shocking and intense game to watch!

cval and Acad23 like this.
  10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

If any old timers remember, pfft even young timers, This is EXACTLY who the Chiefs were before!!

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Two words.... "Hero Ball"

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He just needed to run the ball.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mahomes is about to start choking on a regular basis in the playoffs. That's what happens when your contract starts depriving you of the star teammates you used to share a locker room with.

Russell Wilson is one of the best QB's around. He is also 3-5 in the playoffs and 0-7 in bringing a second trophy to Seattle since his big contract kicked in. A state of events that everybody else is blaming Pete Carroll for but you know Wilson knows the truth down deep - hence his hesitation to demand out. The contract is going to follow him and do the same thing at the next stop unless he gets very lucky.

K'OB likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

How rich do they need to be?

Be SUPER rich or keep the contract down (or with added bonuses if the NFL do such things for success) and then you also get to say hey I won two or three superbowls etc.

What was Mahomes contract worth 450m lol like you ever need that much fucking money?

Br4d likes this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Woody Johnson is 0-0 for bringing the VLT to the NYJs. :mad:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

0-21 :)

Ralebird and K'OB like this.