KY's Mock Offseason 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 25, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]
    Here's the link to 1.0.

Starting Cap Space (according to Spotrac): 46M
    Effective Cap Space (according to OTC): 33M

Cuts:
    Greg Van Roten (3.5M)
    Ryan Griffin (3.2M)
    Blake Cashman (1M)
    La'Mical Perine (1M)

Effective Cap Space: 41M

Re-signings:
    Braxton Berrios: 3 year/15M (10M guaranteed)
    Morgan Moses: 1 year/5M
    Tyler Kroft: 1 year/1M
    Laurent Duvernay-Tardif: 1 year/4M
    Mike White: 2 year/4M
    Eddy Pineiro: 1 year/1M
    Joe Flacco: 1 year/2M

Effective Cap Space: 19M

Free Agency:
    David Njoku, TE (CLE): 3 year/21M (14M guaranteed)
    Jordan Whitehead, S (TB): 3 year/9M (6M guaranteed)
    Anthony Walker Jr., LB (CLE): 2 year/8M (4M guaranteed)
    Mark Glowinski, IOL (IND): 2 year/10M (5M guaranteed)

I'm starting to come to the realization that we might not get any big splashy signings. That FA money goes real quick!

Draft: (Utilizing TDN's Mock Draft Machine)
    4th overall: Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE, Oregon.
    In the stunner of all stunners, Thibodeaux was still on the board in this scenario! This is maybe the first time I've ever seen Hutchinson and Thibodeaux not go 1-2 on TDN's Mock Draft Machine. With Hutchinson going 1, Hamilton 2 to DET, and Stingley 3 to HOU, JD personally sprints to the podium to turn this card in before everyone realizes what they've done.

TRADE. The Steelers move up to take their shot at replacing Big Ben. The Jets send 10th overall and a 5th (161 overall) to PIT for their 2022 1st (20th), 2nd (52nd), 3rd (84th), and 4th (135). With Charles Cross still on the board, I almost stayed put and picked him but this return was too much to pass up on.

20th overall (via PIT): Devin Lloyd LB, Utah. With all the WR prospects still on the board, I'm tempted to take my pick but I'm hoping 1 or 2 will fall to me at 35. It's hard to pass up a prospect like Lloyd too. I would've preferred Linderbaum, Kenyon Green, Charles Cross, or Sauce Gardner here but they're all off the board.

TRADE.
    The Jets package up 38th overall and the 3rd rounder from the PIT trade (84th overall) to move back up into the 1st round and acquire 26th overall from the Titans and another 2022 4th (127th overall).

26th overall (via TEN): Treylon Burks WR, Arkansas.
    With Garrett Wilson off the board, the choice came down to Burks or Olave. I like Burks' versatility and would be very intrigued to see how LaFleur would use him.

35th overall: Trey McBride TE, Colorado State.
    Zach gets some very useful weapons in back-to-back picks. I thought about taking Zion Johnson here but with me signing Glowinski in FA, I think our OL is solid.

52nd overall (via PIT): Lewis Cine S, Georgia. Cine and Jordan Whitehead immediately give the S position a much needed face-lift.

69th overall: Bernhard Raimann OT, Central Michigan. Raimann is a converted TE who is still refining his technique as an OT but the talent and athleticism is undeniable. He would excel in this offense and could be a Fant/Moses replacement as early as his rookie year.

107th overall: Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan. Another mock draft, another Hassan Haskins pick in the 4th round. Some things never change.

113th overall: Alec Lindstrom IOL, Boston College. See above but insert Lindstrom for Haskins. Great developmental C prospect to replace McGovern in a year or two.

127th overall (via TEN): Romeo Doubs WR, Nevada. A legit deep-threat who would find immediate PT in LaFleur's system due to his RAC ability. Saleh and co will get an up close looks at Doubs during the Senior Bowl.

135th overall (via PIT): Tyreke Smith EDGE, Ohio State. A high upside swing at a premier position. Smith has some nice tools in his repertoire but will need to continue to work on his functional strength as he tends to get knocked back some at the LOS.

144th overall: Robert Cooper IDL, Florida State. Foley replacement that excels as a run defender.

FA Signing Rookie

Offense:

QB:
    -2 Zach Wilson
    -5 Mike White
    -19 Joe Flacco

RB:
    -32 Michael Carter
    -## Hassan Haskins (25)
    -25 Ty Johnson
    -35 Austin Walter

FB:
    -48 Nick Bawden

TE:
    -## David Njoku (85)
    -## Trey McBride (85)
    -81 Tyler Kroft
    -85 Trevon Wesco
    -## Brandon Dillon
    -## Lawrence Cager

WR:
    -8 Elijah Moore
    -84 Corey Davis
    -## Treylon Burks (16)
    -10 Braxton Berrios
    -## Romeo Doubs (7)
    -11 Denzel Mims
    -## DJ Montgomery
    -## Rodney Adams
    -## Tarik Black

LT:
    -77 Mekhi Becton
    -70 Chuma Edoga
    -## Grant Hermanns

LG:

-75 Alijah Vera-Tucker
    -72 Cam Clark
    -## Isaiah Williams

C:
    -60 Connor McGovern
    -## Alec Lindstrom (72)

RG:
    -## Mark Glowinski (64)
    -72 Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff
    -## Dru Samia
    -## Ross Pierchbacher

RT:
    -76 George Fant
    -78 Morgan Moses
    -## Bernhard Raimann (76)
    -68 Parker Ferguson

Offense: 38 total

Defense:

DE:

-58 Carl Lawson
    -## Kayvon Thibodeaux (5)
    -47 Bryce Huff
    -51 Tim Ward
    -55 Hamilcar Rashed Jr.
    -## Bradlee Anae (56)
    -## Tyreke Smith (11)

DT:
    -95 Quinnen Williams
    -91 John Franklin-Myers
    -98 Sheldon Rankins
    -96 Jonathan Marshall
    -79 Tanzel Smart
    -## Robert Cooper (91)

LB:
    -57 CJ Mosley
    -## Devin Lloyd (0)
    -## Anthony Walker Jr. (4)
    -56 Quincy Williams
    -45 Hamsah Nasirildeen
    -44 Jamien Sherwood

CB:
    -37 Bryce Hall
    -26 Brandin Echols
    -30 Michael Carter II
    -27 Isaiah Dunn
    -34 Justin Hardee
    -40 Javelin Guidry
    -29 Rachad Wildgoose
    -33 Zane Lewis

S:
    -## Jordan Whitehead (33)
    -## Lewis Cine (16)
    -21 Ashtyn Davis
    -33 Elijah Riley
    -41 Jason Pinnock

Defense: 32 total

K:
    -15 Eddy Piniero
    -## Matt Ammendola

P:
    -7 Braden Mann

LS:
    -42 Thomas Hennessy

ST: 4 total

Roster Total: 74

I don't love the idea of not upgrading at CB or DT but with getting a couple of studs like Thibodeaux and Lloyd in the 1st round and adding Whitehead and Cine at S, I think they can mask those deficiencies until we can address them next year.

Adding guys like Burks, McBride, Njoku, and Doubs would help Zach and the offense a ton.

chandler, Savatage, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Love it. I doubt Lindstrom falls that far though.

I can’t believe that bum Ryan Griffin makes $3.2 mill.

Brook! and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

This might be one of the best mocks I’ve seen so far. From the moves to the players drafted I gotta say nice job! We would really have a team with a lot more talent than last year and would be fun to watch

Brook! and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

What makes you say that about Lindstrom? I feel like most of the projections I've seen have him as a 3rd-4th round guy.

I know, right? Griffin and GVR are the most obvious cuts in the history of obvious cuts.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

My guess is that he’s the second center off the board. I can’t imagine there being nearly a hundred pick spread on the first center taken to the second.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

This is a masterful job that would greatly improve our team if things fall out this way. I agree that it would be nice to shore up our outside CB's a bit, but you make a good case that we might be able to get by with an improved pass rush and linebacker play. I'm glad you included a DT run stopper in your draft because Fatukasi would be a big loss and I have no confidence in the other DT's on your roster as run stoppers.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I like it, I’d rather come away with pits 2023 1st though rather than the haul of second day picks.

MoWilkBeast and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great job!

One note on LDT - I don't think there's any way we'd be able to sign him for $4 million. He was scheduled to make $8.8 million from the Chiefs last year, I believe. We only had to pay him $4 million, because the Chiefs had already paid the rest.

I also think we can spend more than that in FA, but understand why you didn't.

At TE, I like the signing of Njoku and the drafting of McBride, but not wild about the rest. Kroft has an issue staying healthy and catching the ball. Wesco is meh, and I had never even heard of Dillon before.

I absolutely love the trade down and your first 6 picks. I could be wrong, but I think Burks will go well before #26. He may not go as high as I took him (#10), but I think he will go no later than the teens.

I also love doubling up at WR, and the Doubs pick. I like the Hassan and Lindstrom picks as well.

I'm not wild about the Tyreke Smith pick as I think he's only a run stopper. I don't know anything about Cooper, but it's probably a good thing that you added another DT.

Instead of Smith, I wish that you had added another RB or added one in FA. I don't think Walter is good enough, and Johnson can't block or catch, and I think the Jets should move on from him if at all possible.

Overall, great job. I'd be very happy with this offseason.

#8 NCJetsfan, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    KY Jets Fan and Brook! like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

That's some pretty wishful thinking getting Thibodaux, Burks, & Lloyd in the first round. Don't think Burks last till 26. From your mouth to God's ears... sign me up for your Draft Every day of the week.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I notice you have Cager listed at TE when did he switch from WR tbh I didn't even realise we still had him, he was another great udfa hope wasn't he?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Cager spent most of last season on the Browns practice squad. Jets signed him to a reserve/futures contract last week. He's listed as TE now instead of WR. Likely an experiment while trying to add some depth at the position.

KY Jets Fan and K'OB like this.
  12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Ibappreciate you making this, but your second pick is off. At least one of our top two picks needs to be offebsive, the oline or wr. We can't have zach running for h iiius life and gave no one to throw to.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You killed it again my young brother :)

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

JD has a tough job...he has to study every frame of every one of Zack's drop backs and decide: What would benefit Zack more in year 2? More time to throw? or better weapons.

I know after the Bills landed Stephon Diggs, Allen took off. The Bengals were tasked with the same question on Burrows who was having a new knee built for him. Like the Bills, the Bengals decided on a weapon and tagged Ja'Marr Chase. Ja'Marr being Burrows go to WR the previous championship year at LSU may have played a roll, but they had a top LT in Penei Sewell, a generational LT, or a top WR, and they picked WR over LT (surprising a lot of fans) even with Burrows coming off a bad knee injury and in desperate need of a solid LT. Can't argue how that's turned out. Burrows won the last PO game BUT he got ROCKED at least 9 times, and some of those sacks look brutal. (I'm sure there were moments during that game when Burrow wondered if they made the wrong call passing over Sowell!)

Now back to Zack. If JD decides to stay with the offense on his 1st pick, he's gonna need a real insight in forecasting how much better Zack would do with a better oline for more time to throw, or essentially the same oline as last season but a top rookie WR to throw to.

Personally, I think JD will use our first pick on another lineman. Giving Zack a full 3 seconds without monsters of the midway crashing him to the turf to scan the field, find what he's looking for, set his feet and throw a good pass. I know having another good WR would help too like Diggs and Chase, but having an extra second for every throw would help the entire game, not just that one QB-WR connection. Heck, taking a top lineman would help Zack's running game just as much.

I think JD's only real decision is between an Edge rusher or a top o-lineman for our 1st overall pick. He may take Edge a 4 and pray his oline target is still there a 10. If both Edge guys are gone by 4, JD may use 4 on his oline target and get edge help somewhere else.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

No way Burks makes it to 26.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. K'OB

He was a big bodied WR if memory serves could be an interesting experiment

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. K'OB

Nearly as tough as the quote facility on this site ;)

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree…good insight. I also think that edge,OL, and WR are our biggest needs…though maybe I’d throw LB in there as well

I would not be upset with OL at 4 and WR at 10. Or if one of the top two edge guys are there we can go edge at 4 and then have to choose either OL or WR at 10. I’d be fine with either of those scenarios as it’ll depend on how the board falls.

I definitely don’t want safety at 4 and I don’t care how good Hamilton is…I’d rather have safety filled with a lesser pick

of course, this may be a good year to trade down from 4…

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

FA is the wildcard of course....could go a number of ways. When I was discussing drafting oline vs WR, I was assuming all our high-end help will come from the draft. Which I know will change depending on FA. JD did say he will build through the draft so it's OK to talk about filling major holes as if FA isn't an option. Just for draft discussion purposes, of course.