It makes me feel optimistic

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 22, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is how I remember it.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he did not. He inherited Sanchez and got rid of him just like Douglas inherited Darnold and got rid of him

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Makes sense now. You are bitter and hate Zach because we got rid of Darnold? You do realize that Darnold played himself out of a starting role in the league correct?

bicketybam likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Huh? wtf are you talking about?

I was simply saying that what Douglas is doing here is nothing new, as another poster pointed out, John Idzik did a lot of the same things

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's only because Yannis wasnt playing

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Here is the 4 part documentary I was talking about...

#86 BudJet, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TBH Zach should have faced a QB competition last spring, like most of the other rookie QBs did. Heck, BB wouldn't even let Jones wear his number in camp until he earned it. I don't think he was worried about dividing the team. I wonder if Zach could've beat out Newton for the starting job at Pats camp? Fields had to sit behind Dalton, Lance behind Garrapalo, Mills behind Taylor.

In the preseason Zach played one drive the first 2 games, and sat out the final game. We coddled Zach and ended up with an unprepared QB.

Ralebird and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

No, just Geno Smith

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

In hindsight yeah, we should've made Zach compete for the job before the start of this season. I think that ship has sailed now though. Making Zach compete for the job before next season opens up a can of worms at this point.

10. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I haven't posted on this site in a long while because let's face it. . .not much fun talking about a team like this. I have a different reason to be optimistic. Out of all the teams remaining the Niners have an average QB but still found success in the playoffs. Not saying (or feeling) next year we are playoff bound but the potential to succeed without a top 8 QB is being proven using the scheme we use.

BudJet likes this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Look at Vilma's post. Idzik did not. His fault or not he did not.

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Kinda, Except the AFC has Mahomes, Burrows and Allen. This offense will need top QB play to have success in the AFC.

REVISion likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great point about the tenure of our GMs and HCs. Maybe, just maybe, we ought to try giving JD and Saleh some time.

If Jets fans were Niners fans, Walsh and the Niner dynasty would never have happened. They were awful his first two seasons, but the 3rd season they went to the SB, and I think they won. I think I heard this weekend that it was the same with Mike Shanahan and the Broncos....bad their first two seasons, then go to the SB his 3rd.

The only way I'd want to fire Saleh after next season is if he continues to be stubborn, the team isn't prepared for games, the D is awful again, and they win less than 6 games. Even then, I would be in favor of promoting MLF to HC and allowing him to keep whomever he wants on the CS.

14. NCJetsfan

He IS the first GM to do this. Every other GM we've had tried to do the competitive rebuild. The only way that Idzik had the same blueprint was the basic plan of "building through the draft." He didn't revamp the Scouting Dept., he didn't get rid of dead wood. He didn't clean up the cap that I remember. He had cap space and was just too slow and didn't know what he was doing, and that's why he didn't use much of the available cap space he had. The only reason he didn't sign more (any?) FAs is because he was too slow and methodical, and the players he wanted signed elsewhere or didn't want to sign with the Jets at all. Idzik had primarily been an administrator. He knew little about scouting, talent evaluation, and personnel. That was glaringly apparent.

Where do you get that Idzik was "forced" to do anything?

15. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO! Dude, you couldn't be more wrong!

bicketybam likes this.
  16. REVISion

This sounds an awful lot like JD tbh.

HomeoftheJets and ouchy like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

How did Idzik break it down? The clear answer is that he didn't. Breaking it down doesn't involve bringing in a bunch of older FAs, it means doing what JD did going with young players via the draft and signing young FAs.

Following is a list of Idzik's FA acquisitions.
    Breno Giacomini (turned 29 early in the season)

Eric Decker (27)

Michael Vick (34)

Jacoby Ford (27)

Dimitri Patterson (31)

Chris Johnson (29)

The Jets started one rookie (Calvin Pryor) and three 1st year players (Geno Smith, Oday Aboushi, and Sheldon Richardson)

On D he had David Harris (30), Calvin Pace 34), and Dawan Landry (32)
    On offense he had Willie Colon (31), Nick Mangold (30), D'Brickashaw Ferguson (31), Breno Giacomini (29), Eric Decker (27), Percy Harvin (26), and Jeremy Kerley (26)

If he had broken down like JD, he would have traded some of those older players for more draft picks. Instead, it was a veteran team. If he had the same blueprint as JD, he would have focused on prime positions like Edge, OL, WR early

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_New_York_Jets_season

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Idzik took a job that had several requirements before he was even hired. Do you honestly think he was the driving force behind throwing a draft pick away in a panic for Percy Harvin who very clearly didn’t really want to play football? Or signing Michael Vick who Rex had raved about being so difficult to gameplan against?

Idzik was hot trash, but his first steps in the organization weren’t much different than Douglas’s. Slow and steady deal. “Patience.” He spent very little money the first couple years because he was fixing all the bad contracts and compiled the Idzik 12 2014 draft picks on purpose.

And then his master slow rebuild plan got railroaded when billboards started popping over and he was cooked. Probably a blessing in disguise because it’s not like he’s went anywhere else other than to be a cap guy.

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

No it doesn't. There's a big difference ! Idzik had no clue what he was doing. He couldn't evaluate talent if you had put a gun to his head. JD isn't slow and methodical and he knows what he's doing. He just wasn't going to spend a lot of money in FA with Gase as HC, and he knew that this team needed tearing down and rebuilding from scratch. There's absolutely no point in being aggressive and spending a lot of money on older FAs who wouldn't be there the next year. In addition, JD's plan was to build through the draft and he knows how to evaluate talent. He learned from the best.

To say that JD didn't know what he was doing is just flat out laughable.

Imagesrdecieving and BudJet like this.
  20. REVISion

I just meant in terms of being overly slow in FA and not showing urgency to spend even a little above fair market value. That's definitely the mindset JD has had with us and him slow-playing the guard market last year led to Wilson getting blown up the first few weeks because of GVR.

Being thrifty in FA is good. Being overly thrifty isn't.