It makes me feel optimistic

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 22, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What makes me feel optimistic is that we have our target the Bills. Yes, we have been the bottom feeders of our division but the Dolphins are a mess and so far their QB has underperformed. The Pats tried to buy a team and got exposed at the end of the season and in the Playoffs. If Zach takes the step we all hope next season and we have a solid off-season (Draft and FA) we can very quickly be the second-best team in the division.

This is how I think the QBs will stack rank at the end of next season

1. Josh Allen
    2. Zach Wilson
    3. Tua
    4. Mac Jones

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ll go a different route. If the Jets win 5 games next year and get blown out by the Bills and Pats, will you have your pitch fork out?

He’s not the first GM to try to do this. Idzik was horrible, but he used the same blueprint. He just ran out of time fast because his first draft was an abomination and Woody and friends started forcing him to make wild moves like trading for Percy Harvin mid season and signing Michael Vick in the off-season.

Again, Idzik was a horrible talent evaluator but he had to clean up the cap nightmare and amassed picks and cap space for Maccagnan to blow it and destroy it in two years.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There have been signs of improvement you just choose not to see them. We doubled the win total from the previous year, by all accounts had a solid draft. We got experience with most starting rookies in the league. We implemented a system on both sides of the ball that usually does not hit its stride until year 2. The scouting dept , GM and coaches are all on the same page. We have a promising young QB who came on strong toward the end of the season.

Let's see if all these growing pains pay off next season and translate into wins.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Idzik and Rex were not on the same page and he did not revamp the way his scouts evaluated players. JD is the first GM that was able to have true organizational change and follow the blueprints of one the best GMs of all time.

Will I have pitchforks out, it really depends. If we come out and look like we do not belong, probably, if we have some bad luck and key injuries maybe not. I want to see progress and I want us competing. If Zach is still playing like a rookie 5 games in I might start questioning him. I expect Zach to be a top 20 QB statistically next season if he is not there should be a good reason he is not or we are back to square one at QB. I am pretty confident from what I saw this season from him.

I am letting JD finish out his contract no matter what we have already tried the new coach and GM every 3-4 years for the last 20-30 years and that has not worked.

Our longest-tenured head coach since 1990 has been Rex at 5 years
    the only coach that has made it past 6 years ever was Weeb Ewbank. I think it is safe to say fire everyone has not worked so well for the Jets.

GMs-Tannebaum has been our longest GM at 6 years since 1990. We wonder why have not won a Superbowl. How about we try something different and keep the Pitchforks in the barn.

#64 cval, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Doubled their win total because they only needed to win 2 more games to do so and they got equally terrible Houston and Jacksonville down the stetch to help with that. The points differential was nearly identical in both 2020 & 2021.

raise your bar a little

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Top 20 means that he’ll be on par with Jared Goff and Heinicke. I’d hope he’s accelerates to be a bit better than that.

7. BrowningNagle

0-12 in the division last 2 years with an average score in those losses of 29-13

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You just give emotional answers. Fire everyone has not worked for the Jets as they have tried for the past 30 years.

9. BrowningNagle

No. We were talking about Joe Douglas here and the last 2 years. I have been clear throughout. I have not discussed the last 30 years. But if you want, his record as GM is at the bottom of the list

10. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

I think we have the right QB and need to get him a true no.1 receiver like Jamar Chase. Michael Nania put together a video of all of Zach's passes that were dropped this year (remember his 12.7% drop rate i think was worst in the NFL). After watching this video, I am surer than ever that we have the right guy. We need to move forward and continue to build around him like the Bengals have with Joe Burrow. If we continue to do this, I think the future is bright

11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Tua played extremely well the 2nd half of the season last year. I dont think he has the talent to ever be elite, but he played above average and might turn into a Kirk Cousins type. Mac played well for a rookie, and they are expecting continued progress.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is why we have to rebuild the right way. This season is essentially year 2 of the true rebuild with the coaching staff and GM. JD was tearing it all down first.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Tua will be learning a new system with a new coaching staff. I think his experience gives him an edge over MAc next season but I think Zach will be better than both of them.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idzik broke it down and tried to build it back from scratch, but Jets fans ran him out of town because they still remembered what competence looked like.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The good news is that can be improved! I honestly think the Jets can match up well with Buffalo if they add the right pieces. They can split at least with Miami, and then the Patriots are a problem, as both games did not feel competitive this season. Hopefully that can change with Zach continuing to progress.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I don't remember him breaking down anything.

17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Except the secondary

cval likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

There are LOTS of parallels between Idzik & Douglas' moves:
    • Traded a defensive superstar for draft picks (Revis / Adams),
    • replaced legacy regime's "franchise QB" (Sanchez/Darnold),
    • signed a big name receiver (Decker / Davis) ,
    • Youth movement (25.64 avg age in 2014/ 25.36 avg age in 2021)

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

WOW, Why did I not see that? But, I am pretty sure Idzik did not draft Darnold or Sanchez.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

The Jets were in absolute cap hell because Tannenbaum backloaded a bunch of players who would be paid swimmingly as their production eroded in order to jam as many good players on those 2009-2010 teams.

It was previously noted here that Idzik wasn’t allowed to bring any scouts or anything with him. Rex was driving the talent decisions because he was still a God to Woody.

Idzik wasn’t a good GM by any stretch but he didn’t have much of a chance. He also only likely got the job because the Jets put ridiculous mandates on the job listing (keep Rex, listen to Rex, trade Revis, etc.) I believe George Paton and Eric DeCosta refused to even take the phone call. Which is why we ended up with back to back to back under qualified general managers in a row.

ColoradoContrails likes this.