It makes me feel optimistic

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 22, 2022.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I'm watching a playoff game with 2 division winning team, that we beat, duking it out.. We took another division winner, the Bucks, right down to the wire, & outplayed them & should have won. This has me feeling optimistic for next year. Hoping JD & staff has another strong off season. A lot of our young players & coaches, will be returning with a year of experience under their belt, & the team will be playing with the same system, continuity means alot, especially with young players. I'm feeling optimistic for next year!

#1 BudJet, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    PJ4Ever, AJW, boozer32 and 9 others like this.
  2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

We had 4 wins all season, and that inspired optimism?

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

We beat Bengals, Titan, & outplayed the Bucks. We have 60 mil in cap $, 2 first, 2 second, 1 third, 2 forth, & 2 fifth round picks in the draft.
    Yes I'm optimistic. Are you an optimist or a pessimist? Everyone has their opinion.

#3 BudJet, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Truce...you are both right

As hopeful as I am with Manager Joe ...he also scares the sh^t out of me playing Mad Scientist winning the last draft but screwing up the first ..his FA s are mixed bag etc etc

barfolomew and IDFjet like this.
  5. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

True we beat the Rams and Browns last year and built on it by winning 2 more games this year. We should be good for 6 wins next season

ouchy, barfolomew, AndyDrums and 2 others like this.
  6. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I am more worried about his 2020 draft than 2021....

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What the playoffs should show you is QB is not everything, but pretty close. Burrow sacked 9 times but still found a way to win. Tannehill was flat out terrible and cost his #1 seed Titans.

Zach Wilson needs to continue to grow and step up. The Jets need to continue to build around him too. If they do, I will be more than optimistic! :cool:

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Which is why Douglas invested his #2 pick in the guy he thought was the best available QB. Yes, there are arguments to be made for trading back in that situation - and we've heard them all - but to get to the SB you need a very good (top 10) QB. We should find out next season if Zach fulfills that requirement, and if for some reason he doesn't they'll have to keep looking for that guy.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally concur with this. But also shows the value of a good OL. Cincinnati OL damned near cost them the game. With a decent OL this game is not even close. Tannehill in my view was the Titans weak link.

10. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I don't understand how some people can't see that. Joe Douglas has a plan to build a consistent winner. We will see if it works or not, but I am fully behind it.

That's a good point. I am sure the Bengals' #1 priority this off-season will be offensive line. They sure that up, they will be tough to beat.

As for the Titans, I wonder if they look to trade Tannehill or find some way to upgrade? Probably tough with his contract. I agree he was their weak link.

11. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

It’s called a great kicker who buy the way, we NEVER pay. That’s where the game ball went.

Also a 5th rounder. Why can’t we do that?

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've been calling for using a day 3 pick on one for the last two years. If we're not going to pay for a vet, at least get a top college kicker.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You can have a roster full of average NFL players and pretty much hang in most games for 3 or 3+ quarters if you don’t kill yourself with dumb penalties and turnovers. The teams that consistently win 10+ games and make the playoffs every year, get there in the last 10 minutes of games with a top 10 QB, a furious pass rush, a secondary that takes the ball away, and a kicker with ice in his veins. Right now I’m hopeful that we have the QB … but we’re 100 miles away in the other three areas.

14. The Dark Knight

Another reason to be optimistic is the Jets played this Bengals team in 2019, who did not have a win. They beat the Jets, of course, and ended up (2-14). Look at them just 2 years later though. So transformations can happen faster than people realize as long as your QB plays well. That is our hope with Zach Wilson.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think LeFleur wasted 2/3 of Zack's first season by putting way too much on his plate to start the season. While he had a handful of good throws, his INTS were terrible, and he came out the worse rated QB in the league. It wasn't until after mid season we started playing Z like we should have from game 1. Even w/o his top WRs Zack started making at least some good throws, mostly safe throws, and started playing a bit better. LeFleur started putting more the outcome on the Defense and the run game. The Bucs and Bills game are how Z should have been schooled from the beginning, not when the season was already over. But Z ended the season with the most games w/o an INT (tied Rogers), so he's finally on the right track.

When '22 season starts, Zack will still be in his rookie season to a degree, and LeFleur will (should) keep the gloves on for the first qtr. Get Z to where he should have been at the end of this season. Keep the game plan simple (for Z), develop our run game, and rely on our D. Open the playbook up more in the 2nd/3rd quarters, then make a PO push in the 4th qtr.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you think this team has nearly enough talent to compete with the playoff teams just take a gander at the madden player ratings.

We have maybe three guys that crack a score of 80 and Marcus Maye might not be here next year.

A great draft and actually spending the cap space might get us a shot at a wild card only because there are three spots now instead of two.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

But yes, I laughed.

Jets69 and barfolomew like this.
  18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Mike Nugent?! :eek:

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Cinci kicker was shaky first few games and they stuck with him and now he's gold--Who knows what kind of support he got early on from organization.

Contrast this with Amendola who got shaky--no-one had his back and he felt it.

Now NYJ is for some reason not just signing Pineiro--why?

barfolomew likes this.
  20. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken JD didn't have his scouting team in place for the '20 draft. Hopefully that is why his 2nd crack feels so much better at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails, BudJet and cval like this.