RIP Meatloaf

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Leicester Jet, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  2. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

74 joining his mate jim steinman in Rock in Roll heaven
    He is famous in Oz for this performance
    Before afl grandfinal when he was overcooked

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

RIP. Saw him live a couple of times. That voice was truly outstanding. Steinman pretty much wrote a greatest hits album straight off and Meat delivered.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

RIP dude, you were amazing.

Meatloaf lived 2 houses down from my grandmother in Bridgewater, CT in the mid 90's. Then right next door to my sister in Redding, CT in the early 00's.

What are the odds?

Acad23 likes this.
  5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

RIP - he out on a hell of a live show.
    I agree Bat out of Hell was one of the most complete and best albums of all time.

I remember my cousin playing Paradise by the Dashboard lights for me at my Grandma’s and when Phil Rizutto started the play by play her reaction.

FJF and Since1969 like this.
  6. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

RIP Meatloaf. He always put on a great show.

Condolences to your family.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Kind of a dick move, bro.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

R.I.p I like bat out of hell. . Good album. Paradise by the dashboard lights is the greatest song to feature Phil rizzuto, I’ll die on that hill.

the biggest tragedy now is we will never know what “that” was .

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^Somebody made a tasteless joke that I would do anything for love but I won't do that was about getting pegged. Going to Hell because I laughed. RIP.

FJF likes this.
  10. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

If his passing was covid related , its ironic that the biggest album was called bat out of hell

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

"Ain't no doubt about it, we were doubly blessed, 'cause we were barely 17, and we were barely dressed" is one of the greatest lines in rock and roll history, delivered in his inimitable style.

RIP.

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

13. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

It is hard for me distinguish between Steinman and Meatloaf, but both were amazing. Hot Patootie, Bless my Soul was an all time song from RHPS.

The wife and I plan on drinking and listening to Meatloaf this weekend.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Classic songs and lyrics.. "will ya love me till the end of time???....noe I am praying for the end of time" ahah

RIP ..an Icon ..so sad :/

Condolences to Mrs Loaf

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

He was a great singer and really put his all into the live shows. RIP.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sure we do. She wasn't going to go any further unless he swore to love her forever and marry her.

RIP, Mr Loaf.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Wrong song. The last sentence refers to another of his hit songs, "I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)"

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yup, you're right - I got them mixed up, which made me look into it a little deeper and the answer is not at all exciting according to Jim Steinman who wrote and produced the song. There's a whole wikipedia page for this one song and a pretty decent explanation. Here's the key part:

Duet coda[edit]
    At the 9:28 point, the song transforms into a duet coda. The structure of the verses remains, but the woman now asks what the man would do. He answers in the affirmative for the first four sections. The song's tone changes for the final two sections, in which the woman, Lorraine Crosby on the original recorded version, predicts that the man would eventually do things to upset her and their relationship.[4] Both times, he denies it.

Perceived ambiguity of "that"[edit]
    Meat Loaf claimed that the question, "What is 'that'?" was one of the most popular questions he would be asked.[5]

Each verse mentions two things that the man would do for love, followed by one thing that he will not do. The title phrase repetition reasserts that he "won't do that." Each mention of "that" is a reference to the particular promise that he made earlier in the same verse.[6] At the song's conclusion, the woman predicts two things that he will do: "You'll see that it's time to move on", and "You'll be screwing around." To both of these, the male emphatically responds, "I won't do that!"

In his 1998 VH1 Storytellers special, Meat Loaf even explained it on stage using a blackboard and a pointer.[6] In a 1993 promotional interview, Steinman states that the definition of "that" is fully revealed in the song in each of the several verses in which it is mentioned. This sense might have been more clear if the lyric had been "and I won't do that" instead of "but I won't do that." It is possibly the use of "but" instead of "and" that leads to the ambiguity.

It sort of is a little puzzle and I guess it goes by - but they're all great things. 'I won't stop doing beautiful things and I won't do bad things.' It's very noble. I'm very proud of that song because it's very much like out of the world of Excalibur. To me, it's like Sir Lancelot or something - very noble and chivalrous. That's my favorite song on the record - it's very ambitious.[7][8]

Meat Loaf believed that the lyrics were unambiguous, but Steinman predicted that they would cause confusion.[9] An early episode of the VH1 program Pop-up Video made this claim at the end of the song's video: "Exactly what Meat Loaf won't do for love remains a mystery to this day."[10] A reviewer writing for AllMusic commented that "The lyrics build suspense by portraying a romance-consumed lover who pledges to do anything in the name of love except 'that,' a mysterious thing that he will not specify."[11] Frank O'day says the lyrics provide "an enlightening example of how listeners project their own thoughts, values, and concerns onto the meaning of the song with misconstrued lyrics."[4]
    Kind of boring that he's just promising to hang around and be faithful.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

TL:DR I hope it says you were worng, lol.