Jets Among the Teams Whose Opponents Have Been the Least Penalized

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jan 20, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting article. It makes one wonder.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Could be a combination of us not having enough talented players for the refs to give us calls and teams not having to commit penalties to beat us.

truthbtold and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think this explains it. There appears to be a relatively even distribution of good and bad teams at the top and bottom making it difficult to draw any concrete conclusions. Different crews do different games too which makes it hard to nail down any specific bias.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That's not true, the NFL is out to get us, or a some on her like to believe, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One factor that is real is that the Jets QB's have below average completion percentages. This suggests they throw fewer catchable balls and pass interference, which is one of the most often called penalties, is not called unless the official believes the ball is catchable.

3 years of Darnold and 1 of Wilson puts the Jets well below the NFL average in completion percentage.

ouchy likes this.
  6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Of course there's something to being a bad team for a decade. It's like baseball where sometimes the best hitters will get close calls or vice versa. I'm sure the jags get boned too

It's just the impact refs have on the game with their calls that make it almost unwatchable. Then when you add in the fact the skills of refs are clearly down, it passes into unwatchable

7. Br4d

It's almost like the NFL should have professional officials, like every other major sports league, instead of the hobbyists they currently use.

cval likes this.
  8. Br4d

Also, to add to the completion percentage issue, PI is one of the most pleaded for penalties and the Jets QB's and receivers don't have a lot of credibility when they ask for a flag because of the overall ineffectiveness of the Jets passing game.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I wonder what his pass percentage issue had to do with the cheats roughing the passer with impunity?

I thought the article was about non calls ie holding calls mysteriously not noticed against us over and over again.

It can't just be all down to incompetence because if so then a lot of those refs need to be let go.

#9 K'OB, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  10. Br4d

Somebody needs to do a study on what correlation there is between roughing the passer calls and the time the QB holds the ball.

No idea what it would show but I've always had the notion that the vets who normally get rid of the ball quickly get a lot more roughing calls than the QB's who for whatever reason hold it longer.

Brady is like a permanent roughing the passer call in waiting and he gets rid of the ball PDQ.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you might be onto something. Roethlisberger and Newton never got the calls but they traditionally held onto the ball for a long time

Br4d likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When you are in the lead it’s easier to draw penalties. And the Jets haven’t had too many leads in the last 4 years

for example, how many times do you see a team with a 10 point lead throwing it up downfield just simply hoping for a PI call to clinch another scoring drive? A lot.

Teams that are behind can’t afford to take that chance because if they don’t get the call they have to punt and they need to score.

jago likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You couldnt have picked a worse QB to use as an example of RTP calls.

Breathe near Brady and the flags are flying.

NCJetsfan and Leicester Jet like this.
  14. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

More like think about breathing near him!

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you all remember that time when Willie Colon pushed an official during a game, and the next week they called 22 penalties on us? I thought that was one of the the most unprofessional things I've ever seen in sports and the Jets should have absolutely raised hell over it but we just meekly accepted it. I feel like we get shitty treatment from the officials ever since that time. I know I'm probably wrong... it just feels like it.

BrowningNagle and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I didn’t remember that but I just looked it up and it appears as though you’re correct. And we still beat that bad Bills team. Imagine we played the Pats? We would’ve had 35 flags come our way instead of 20 accepted.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309220nyj.htm

17. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I’m glad someone is pointing this out. But if you watch a season of Jets football. There’s at least 4-5 bs calls on us per game.

One of my highlights from last season was when the ref called some nonspecific call and it went something like this: Offsides…the whole offensive line.

Since we suck, nobody cares, but it’s really weird.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What about holding on the defensive players?

What about roughing the passer? Darnold and Wilson got the crap beat out of them well after the ball was thrown and the opposing defenses never get called for roughing the passer when it was obvious.

It’s not just about poor QB play.

#18 Red Menace, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think Refs have to throw flags to justify their existence. But not too many. So in one case they throw a flag for breathing on Brady, then ignore Sam or Zack getting creamed.

Also, I believe the NFL pays very close attention to TV ratings and tend to 'favor' the top dogs throughout the season. The Packers, Chiefs, Bucs, and so forth. The NFL REALLY REALLY wants these teams in the playoffs and more important, in the SB. To this end, refs can do their jobs of propping up the 'good' teams or pushing down the bad teams just as easily by flags they DONT throw. The outcome of games are fairly easy to mitigate just with flags and non-flags. Refs that don't manage their flags properly to ensure the well known teams advance won't be around too long, and none of it needs to be in writing.