Which WR should the Jets get at #10 (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, Jan 18, 2022.

?

If the Jets target WR at #10, who is your preference

1. Garrett Wilson

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Treylon Burks

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Drake London

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Chris Olave

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Jahan Dotson

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Jameson Williams

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. David Bell

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

So how about this as a compromise.....

Trade down out of one of our top 10 picks. Probably 10, pick up another 2nd or 3rd this year and another 1st next year.

Use a 2nd or 3rd, whatever it takes to draft Jameson Williams. That gives us our number 1, we just won't have him on day one?

2. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I truly understand why you would compare Burks and Mims. What I would say to that is, Burks is an animal on the field. He plays with a passion that Mims never had. Burks frame is muscular, and he has speed to match it. Burks muscles defensive backs and safeties. Burks to me is A.J. Brown in a lot of ways. Its that tuffness that we are lacking at wideout and tightend. To me Burks is the one that should be drafted as his abilities line up to exactly WHAT this team is lacking.

Borat likes this.
  3. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Burks can fill the same role as Debo for us.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to undersell Chase but he fell into the perfect situation. He has a top QB in the league, who he played with in college, a 1000 yard receiver on the other side of him, a near 1000 yard receiver in the slot, and a 500 plus yard TE. Thus its easy to use Chase in the ways he was meant to be used and he'll never see a double team. Jefferson had a much more challenging rookie roster to play with and he still couldn't be stopped.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I would rather focus on defense and oline in Round 1 and take Jameson Williams in the 2nd round. Before his injury, he would’ve been the best receiver in this draft. Getting him in round 2 would be good value while focusing on other needs in round 1

BacktoQueens and ouchy like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

London and Burks are my 2 favorite fits for the Offense. It's funny though, when I watch Burks run and hit, the NFL player he most reminds me of physically is Revis. He just looks strong as an ox and all of his moves are deliberate.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Compared with Burks, Bell or London, he does have a small catch radius. Yes, he has a very good catch radius for his size, but at 5'11, or 6'0 it just isn't going to be that big. 5'11 or 6'0 is shorter than 6'3" and 6'6".

blackssmagic likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Excellent point! We definitely need blue chip players. That is not something we've had very much in a good while, sadly in spite of the fact that we've routinely had pretty high draft picks.

I do think a good debate could center on what is more important, having two blue chip players or 1 blue chip player and an additional player who is very good and just below the blue chip level. Of course, the lower one goes in the draft, the greater the chances of missing. There's no doubt that the Jets could use more picks, but at this point, I think they need blue chip players more. Initially, I was all about trading down from #10, but have changed my mind somewhat. I won't be upset either way. I trust JD's judgment. Besides, Burks could wind up being rated lower than the top 10 and JD want him, but not willing to use the #10 pick on him. In that scenario, I'd be all about trading down a few spots, adding an extra pick or two and then taking Burks.

joelip and Borat like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get all that, but I've also read this is a terrible draft to have two top 10 picks. If the '22 is really soft, then as much as we need help now it may be better in the long run to trade down and parlay some of our '22 into '23 draft options. If we can nab a true top pass rusher at 4, then have at it. But after that? ehhh. If there were a team willing to give us a mini haul for our 2nd pick (#10), I probably do it, especially if it includes one or two top picks in next year's draft. But don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for JD to snag a true #1 weapon for Z, if such a weapon actually exists. But just to draft someone for the sake of drafting someone in a weak year kinda scares me. I'll defer to you and your wisdom!

10. NCJetsfan

I don't like that compromise. I like Jameson Williams, he's very talented, but more than likely, he won't be ready to play until at least midway through the season, maybe not until late or at all. We need a WR who will be there and ready to go day one.

We need blue chip players and playmakers on both sides of the ball, but we also still have quite a few holes. I trust JD to make the right decision regarding quality vs quantity of picks. I can see both sides of the issue and can see positives on both sides.

Borat likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Just read that JD wants to trade down from 10. That would be fantastic.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think Douglas is on enough of a hotseat that he's not going to have any interest in trading 2022 draft capital for 2023 draft capital. I think we either use all of our picks this year or trade a couple for an immediate contributor.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Garrett Wilson by a country mile. He reminds me of Jamar Chase.

14. Footballgod214

I think you're probably right. I can see him trading some draft capital for the right player. But it's really nice having extra draft stock every year. Like what Miami has done with Tunsil....traded him to the Texans for miultiple picks, then trades down with one of those picks last year for even more 1st round picks this year. Tunsil = a gift that just keep on giving. Would love for JD to figure out how to do that with the 2nd Jamal pick....trade down every year for another 1st in the next draft. Still get a 1st round guy this year plus another next year to keep the game going!

15. NCJetsfan

Where are you reading that this draft is soft in the top 10?

It may not be as good as last year, but lines up very well with our needs. Last year was a bit of an anomaly. Last year there were 4-5 who were possibly worthy of getting taken that early, and there was a generational TE, 3 WRs, 2 CBs, 2 OTs, and a LB all rated very high. This year there are three very good OTs, 3 CBs, 3 Edges, a S, a C, and two LBs rated very highly. IMO, it's a better year for Edges, LBs, and maybe even CBs. Sewell was probably better than Neal, but Ekwonu and Cross are probably as good, if not better than Slater. I think it's comparable to last year's draft. It has a deep WR and TE class, probably a deeper and better OL class overall. The RB class may not be as good overall as last year, but imo there are more RB prospects who are better scheme fits for us. It's probably a better S class than last year and I think deeper too. The DT class is probably not as good as last year, but I don't care about that.

It's not a weak year, so ignore whomever is filling your head with that nonsense. JD would not draft someone just to draft someone. He would trade down or up, or trade the pick for a pick or picks next year.

Borat likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That's why I want the jets to draft WR J. Williams with the round 2 Carolina pick--If he's already gone, no biggie. If's he there take him. I certainly would not take him in the top 10 or even the top 25. That 2nd rounder is close to the spot where jets WR Elijah Moore went in 2021, and few thought that he would fall out of round 1.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

On here, TGG. Several posters have mentioned this is a weak draft and sucks to have two top 10 picks.

Oh...I agree there are players that align with our needs (it'd be hard not to with so many needs!!!). But my concern is with the talent level of the kids coming out compared to the talent lever last year or next year. Lets say a team passed on Mims only to nail Ja'mar Chase the following year? This may be a bad example but you get the point. Would you pass on Zack Wilson if you knew you could get Joe Burrows in the following draft? I just hope that JD can parlay some of our '22 draft capital over to '23 when the talent level may be much highter.

Again, this is all just based on folks right here saying this is a weak ass draft, but they could be wrong too.

18. NCJetsfan

Those folks are wrong. My advice is to take what they say with a grain of salt.

The thing is, you don't know who you will get the next year. You may have a chance to draft a player you like, but he could stay in school, suffer a major injury, some major character flaw could surface, some team ahead of you unexpectedly take him, or some team trade up ahaed of you to take him. As the old saying goes, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd say upper middle class version of Chase.

Rockinz likes this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Dotson is so smooth. Not sure if many here would mind another sub 6 foot WR but you’d have the potential of two very good to potentially top tier route runners if he’s drafted. Him and Moore can get open in a phone booth.