Max’s Offseason Mock 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Jan 16, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Class is TOTALLY the point.

I said that Conner was a very good receiver. RIF Again you miss the point. He's SLOWER. My whole objection was to the "tank" RB, who generally is a power back who is slower, is a pounder and who needs a lot of carries. If the Jets sign or draft a big RB who is fast and an excellent receiver, that's fine. I'll be very happy with that.

Noam likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Conner was extremely effective as a secondary option in Arizona, if not even more effective than in Pittsburgh as the lead. That does not suggest needing a lot of Carrie’s to be effective. They are hardly a run first team either. Did you watch Conner with the Cardinals at all this year?

3. NCJetsfan

No, I didn't watch the Cardinals at all this year. I did see Conner on the Steelers quite a bit.

No one said that we had to agree on every point. I am entitled to my opinion whether you think it right or wrong. I could be wrong, but until I see the Jets sign or draft a Conner, I'll continue to think that they won't.

I think they will look to add a FB. The RBs don't have to be midgets, but they need to be big enough to be effective blockers, fast, one-cut N-S runners, and good targets out of the backfield. That doesn't mean that they have to be big bruisers. Further, I don't care what other teams do. I'm only interested in what the Jets do. Perine is not a fit and most RBs like him would not be fits in our scheme imo.

I don't disagree that it would be good to add someone who can pick up a tough yard or two in a short-yardage/goal line situation. Based on everything I've read and heard from Saleh and LaFleur and others about this offense, I think they'll look for a FB similar to Juszczyk. The problem isn that there aren't a lot of good FBs these days. I think that's probably why those other teams decided to draft a bigger back. Maybe the Jets will as well. I think there could be some possible FB options this offseason. We'll see what they do.

#23 NCJetsfan, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Outside of Ja'mar Chase or a DOMINANT TE, Conner up the middle to compliment Carter everywhere else is probably the biggest help to Z and our offense.

Seems our team did as our running game did the last half of the season. A dominant running game would benefit a young ZW as much or more than anything else.

Look back to Nacho 10yrs ago....it was our oline and running game that propelled him/us deep into the POs.

Do it again!

boozer32 likes this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether you are talking about a tank or not, there is a role for power back in this offense. Ty and Perine were presumably slated to be that guy this year and therefore an upgrade is very much in play this off season. If LaFleur is happy with a slightly slower back and views his catching prowess as an acceptable trade off for a lesser speed then I'm good with Conner for sure.

6. NCJetsfan

If the Jets decide to go with Conner or someone like him, I'll root for him and the decision. I have nothing against a powerback per se. I just don't think they will. I think they will look to add a FB who is similar to Juszczyk.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Doesn’t AZ run the same blocking scheme for their run game that we do? Conner seems to be a very good scheme fit

boozer32 likes this.
  8. MaximusD163

Except there is only 1 Juszczyk in the league, and SF has him. It’s why they can be the only Wide Zone team to operate without a powerful back.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

AZ runs a modified Air Raid system. All blocking schemes have some overlapping principles but Arizona is not a Wide Zone Shanahan West Coast offshoot

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like it a lot of moving pieces but it's time for the Jets to step up their game. What I like the best if them taking WR Burks. The Jets need to get Zach a WR he can grow with and Burks is a big physical receiver. The exact opposite of our big free agent signing Davis

MaximusD163 likes this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I mean for their running plays. My understanding is echoed in this article.

As for the run game, his offense utilizes the outside zone scheme out of the shotgun. For offensive linemen, this means less running behind the line of scrimmage (angle blocking), and more running to set points laterally. As for running backs, this offense does best with agile, elusive backs with the vision and patience to get out of sticky situations. Kingsbury also incorporates many swings, screens, and tosses to his backs.

12. MaximusD163

Yes like I said there is overlapping, but Kingsburry modified his Air Raid for the pro game, and like it said here that uses a lot of outside zone out of the shotgun. The Shanahan system operates substantially more from under center. It might seem like a small thing but it does change timing and angles a lot. I think Conner could work for the Jets for sure as a 2nd or 3rd option but you do have to acknowledge what’s the same vs different in his situation.

They certainly don’t run a power centric scheme there, so obviously it’s not fully on the other end of the spectrum.

13. NCJetsfan

Yes, I agree that there's only one Juszczyk in the league. The Jets may be forced to sign a power back, but I think they'd rather have a FB at least similar to Juszczyk. That's their ideal. In addition, so far, Saleh has shown a bit of stubborness with his schemes. He has run them even not having the players with the requisite skills/talent. Look at how much of the season went by with the D playing poorly before Ulbrich dialed the aggressiveness back, and suddenly the D started playing better. That's what I was basing my comments on. That said, MLF seems to be more flexible, and perhaps more willing to adapt/adjust than Saleh is with his D.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The roster doesn't look bad at the end of the day. I will say a few things though from my opinion. I don't think washington will give up that much to move up to 4. really depends how the top 3 go but if hamilton, hutch, or KT fall i'd rather grab one and trade down from 10 instead. Not a fan of johnson at 10. he's more of a late round player IMO. I also don't like taking a WR at 11. there are good guys in the mid rounds and I don't see any WRs as a top 10-15 pick this draft.

I love the picks of johnson and harris in the 2nd. 2 good players there in positions of need. Don't like the DT pick. would rather keep foley and not worry about DT this year. in your example foley, jones, Q, and rankins is fine for our top 4 and we have marshall from last year too.

I also don't like a RB in the 3rd. we have MC plus you added connor. no reason to get a RB3 that early with more pressing needs. I do like the ruckert pick though

I don't know much about mckinley but obviously safety is a need. I like lindstrom a lot if he lasts till the 4th but I think he goes top 100.

Love kolar in the 5th. don't know much about banks in the 5th. I do like jobe though there. adding a late CB seems to be JDs MO

for the free agents no complaints from me. I'd take gallup over wilson if were gonna sign a cowboys WR. but I understand his injury prone-ness could outweight the fact he's better then wilson. can't help if you aren't playing. Not sure I want to pay big money for a safety in williams. could probably bring back maye on a cheap deal.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Zander Horvath

FB probably a 6th or 7th rounder but the best FB in the class. could be our kyle Juszczyk

boozer32 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like Tyler Badie as a fit for the scheme. He’s also probably the best receiving back in the draft.

They operate primarily out of the shotgun but ran some wide zone principles. He’s got good shimmy. Not the biggest guy though he would be good in a timeshare I think.

17. NCJetsfan

Thanks! The Jets would have to add him as a UDFA.

I watched the video and like his speed, balance, athleticism, vision, and hands. He's an interesting prospect.

Looking at his stats, he didn't get a lot of touches, but from the looks of the highlights, maybe he should have. The one thing that jumped out at me from the stats is that he looks he may have suffered some injuries in college. In his college career, he play 6 games his freshman year, 10 his sophomore year, 6 again in his Jr. Season (2020) probably due to Covid and reduced schedule, and then only 8 this year. If so, do you have any idea what those injuries were?

Also, I didn't see any examples of his blocking. Do you know how he is as a blocker?

I found the following that may have answered my question about his blocking:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...er-horvath-to-mirror-mike-alstott-in-the-nfl/

"When Purdue running back Zander Horvath broke his fibula in the 49-0 win over UConn earlier this season, college football fans and NFL Draft analysts were deprived of the opportunity to further study a rare creature in his natural habitat.

Horvath plays the game with a physicality that you’d expect from a 6’3″, 230-pound running back. Yet, he combines that physicality with an athleticism associated with a smaller framed athlete. The Purdue RB also has the hands of a wide receiver while possessing the blocking ability that most playmakers can only dream of.

At the time of his injury, Horvath averaged 4.6 yards per carry and 9.0 yards per reception for his career. While he has played exclusively as a running back for the Boilermakers, his size and skill set should see him effortlessly transition to fullback in the NFL like former Purdue RB Mike Alstott did for Tampa Bay.

As a result, Horvath should be considered one of the top fullbacks in the 2022 NFL Draft. For me, there isn’t a better prospect at the position right now despite the injury. "

#37 NCJetsfan, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

big boy likes contact and he seems to have good hands. If he’s available in the 6/7th that’s a steal

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

FBs rarely go before the 6th/7th round, and often go undrafted as not many NFL teams use them any more. The problem is that we don't have one of either this year unles JD trades down with one of his 5ths. I'm hoping we can add him as a UDFA.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Conner was an absolute monster for Arizona when Edmonds was out, especially in the receiving game.

Source -- My fantasy football championship with James Conner on the roster.

MaximusD163 likes this.