Hypothetical Poll: What would you trade Becton for?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Jan 17, 2022.

?

Minimum pick for Becton?

1. 1st only

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. 2nd or better

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. 3rd or better

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Multiple late rounders

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Other / Player

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It's clear that Becton, along with his multitude of health and weight issues, is not the best fit for our current scheme that requires more movement and agility out of it's lineman.

With that said, what would you be ok moving him for if the opportunity arose during the draft?

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Trading him means taking a huge cap hit for a guy that showed pro bowl talent in his first year.

Starting left tackles are hard to come by,

I would keep him unless a Herschel Walker type of deal was offered.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He has one more year to prove he has the drive and dedication to be successful in the NFL. He shows up shaky again, he's most likely taking over Mims's spot in the doghouse and in the end, both guys are gone.

Nyjets4eva, papapump, cval and 3 others like this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He’s just got to focus on being a professional athlete and not food.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nobody wants to be food.

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sell high buy low. Not a good time to trade him while his stock is as low as it is now. I would wait until season starts to be honest and seek at least a 1st.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I chose "Other". I want to wait to see how he shows up for OTAs. If he's still not in shape - ready to go 100% - then I'd definitely consider trading him. I wouldn't give him away though. LTs are rare commodities. I'd want a 1st this year and a 2nd next year - close to Adams value but not quite. And I would only do it if I had someone to replace him that's at least as good, hopefully better.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We won’t recoup the value for him versus the upside he can potentially bring. No one’s giving a top 64 pick for him so we should keep him and hope he wants to make big money as a prime offensive tackle.

I’m as down on him as anyone but he’s not a lost cause like he’s portrayed here.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I would not trade Becton period. We have to stop getting down on players who have had injuries. You can't build a competitive team by jettisoning promising players just because they went on IR. Becton had a pretty good rookie season. He was an adequate pass blocker and a better run blocker as we saw at the end of the previous year when Johnson and Adams got good yardage running behind him and Elflein (another guy the Jets shouldn't have let walk.) If nothing else, a guy that size on the OL has to be intimidating to an opposing defense. It seems every time we change coaches, a player who performed well for the previous coach (Becton and Mims e.g.) goes in the doghouse. You can't build a winning team that way.

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this.

On one hand, I've seen enough different red flags from Becton to support a trade. I truly think a big part of being a great GM is making decisions on players earlier than the league-wide consensus. By the time consensus matches your thoughts as a GM, the value you can get for a player in a trade is gone.

I think the perception of Becton throughout the league still ranges from "unlucky guy with elite talent" to "fat lazy bust". Once that perception is 90%+ in one direction it becomes a lot harder to get value from that player because everyone already knows what you know as the GM of that player.

If Becton can be traded for a 2nd round pick or better it's an enticing proposition given how many red flags he's shown (attitude, weight, injuries, pass blocking). That's a lot of different red flags in just 2 full seasons of play. Maybe the writing is on the wall and we just don't want to believe it.

On the other hand, we can't afford to lose anyone at OL and Becton's still cheap and should feel like he has a lot to prove.

I like the idea of seeing what kind of shape he shows up to training camp in and going from there. If he's overweight again or still having pseudo-feuds with coaches then you have to pull the trigger on a trade ASAP. If not - great, let's see how he performs in camp and go from there. Still getting roasted consistently in pass protection? Might be time to ponder a trade again.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Let's see what the draft produces.

The Jets may very well be in a position where a LT is by far the best value at #4 and not taking that guy there is big loss. In that situation you probably take the LT and see how Becton reacts to being shifted to the right side.

12. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Convert him to TE

FJF likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There is plenty of reason to be skeptical… but he showed too much as a rookie to just jump ship. I would consider a top 20 pick but I would not even consider cutting bait that quickly for anything less. Counting on him to be a franchise LT is a mistake. Calling him a bust is a mistake.

You really need to hedge your bets and see how things go in year 3.

REVISion, NYJFOREVER, FJF and 2 others like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I follow his diet pro on IG. It seems he is committed to this. He looks fine with weight. We need to stick with him, you don’t give up on this guy so quickly.

All Gas No Shake and westiedog1 like this.
  15. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

Watched Wirfs miss the first snaps of his career this weekend because he could barely walk. He begged his coaches to go back in the game.

This would never happen with Becton. All stomach, no heart.

Call the Jags for a 1st round pick in 2023.

mrmajix and ouchy like this.
  16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

is it our scouting dept that we always end up with the players who seem to have no motivation to work hard at their craft? Because it seems to happen a lot with us, first Mims shows some potential and then just falls off a map doesn’t seem to have the work ethic. And now Becton same deal, not be in shape to work to make it back for an entire year. What is it about the Jets are we really cursed?

Jojo, mrmajix and REVISion like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Showed way to much as a rookie to trade him for anything less than a 1st rounder.

He had a freak injury that could have happened to anyone and the Jets did him a massive disservice by saying he could be back before the end of the year.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm not trading him for any less than multiple 1sts or 2nds (or a very high 1st rounder). I think he had way too many positive flashes as a rookie to sell for any less than that. I'd rather take the chance of him getting his shit together and growing up, then taking even a low first.

I've been pretty pessimistic all season about this team, and I still believe he's the LT/RT of the future.

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I think Becton should be shifted to RT while being groomed to take over the LT spot after Fant
    Give him time to develop, mature emtionally, mature with regard to his own physicality
    Fant would be a good mentor in that regard, I think

Nyjets4eva and REVISion like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Becton suffered the same injury Mahomes came back from in 2 weeks. The Jets labeled it a 4-8 week injury and Becton missed 16 weeks and counting. We have reports that he gained weight which contributed to the delayed recovery. Nobody did him a disservice except himself.

mrmajix likes this.