Tank RB's now essential?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If your QB is new and still learning how to play in the NFL, helping him is essential to aid in their development. A good running game does wonders as it takes a lot of the wear and tear off the young Qb and buys time for a better understanding of the Playbook and overall, how the NFL game is played as opposed to College.

On that note, Could someone compile a list of possible Tank RB's for JD to perhaps take a look at drafting? I'm talking big bodied RB's as we already have the smallish shifty RB in Carter. Think of this "Tank" running behind Becton and AVT on the left side OR the rebuilt right side.

I think its crucial for Zach's and MLF's development to have this 1->2 punch especially since MLF is in love with gut runs. Packers and the Titans have no problems chewing up clock when they need to. Their QB's seem to stay healthier too.

How bout it boyz? I know a lot of you out there track almost everything in CFB so strut your stuff... :)

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say it’s essential at all but if you can complement a guy like Carter with a bruiser that’s can take 7-8 carries a game, great. I wouldn’t spend anything more than a day 3 pick on one, or anything more than a mil or two in free agency. What teams in the playoffs have that punishing downhill running back? I will count Derrick Henry but he is also the best running back in the game. Is Zeke even considered a tank anymore? Even they are finding more success with Pollard. That’s just the way today’s NFL is. find running backs weekend catch the ball and run if they need to.

Edit: Dillon

3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

boozer32, Brook!, Lon Chaney and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’d love to add Robinson or Hassan Haskins. They really always fall forward.

I think more important than a “tank” running back is having multiple running backs in the stable. Most of these playoff teams sans Tennessee and Pittsburgh, use a bunch of guys. Cincinnati as well to an extent.

blackssmagic, Brook! and REVISion like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yep, just give me two solid running backs. Gone are the days of Chris Johnson and Lendale White… Like I said above, in today’s NFL you basically need running backs who can catch passes and then run if they need to. Obviously that’s a little overstated but you get the point.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You obviously don't understand our offensive scheme. A tank RB is not a scheme fit. This scheme wants smaller, faster RBs, who make one cut and are gone, not plodders or power backs.

PJ4Ever, Mogriffjr and ouchy like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they also love rotating RB's too. Nothing wrong with having a big goal line back in the rotation. I think it is actually a good idea. Running behind Becton and AVT really would be hard to stop. Even on a play like that 4th and 2 play against the Bucs. Imagine having that option.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not what they want in this scheme. It doens't matter if we think it's a good idea, it's not gonna happen. That's why they want a FB.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Coulda used one at the end of the Tampa game.

Jus' sayin'... :rolleyes:

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Wait.... are you suggesting there was room for improvement on that play?

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Fixing the OL and running game is absolutely essential if developing Zach is important and.... Of course it is. More than anything JD does this offseason, finishing up the OL and running game is the very biggest and best thing he can do to help Zach. An average to above average OL will provide blocking that will get Zach as much or more time as any QB after the snap. Right now he simply does not have enough time.

A better running game will provide Zach with a huge asset to lean on before passing the ball. Everyone knows play action does not work if you don't have a running game. If you do, suddenly everything in Zachs arsenal works. Play action, roll outs, long bombs, etc. Everything will suddenly work when the OL is essentially FORCING the defense to commit more defenders to the box to help stop the run......

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Adding a RB who can get the short tough yards would be a plus, but more than that they need to add a stud TE who can be counted on to make the tough, contested catches. In today's pass-oriented game. those types of TEs are more valuable than "FBs".

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The fullback position needs to be filled with a versatile player that can move around the field and also catch the ball and run in space. Not just some scrub like Nick Bawdin.

NYJ1970, Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hadn't thought of it until now but Ty Johnson could be turned into a pretty nice fullback if he learned to lead block. He's a very willing pass blocker and he loves to hurt defenders.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I’d never claim to be a scheme expert at all, but watching the 49ers have their way with the Cowboys last night for me is the blueprint the Jets are looking for. Running back by committee but with quick, elusive guys for the wide zone rather than a tank.

I think Carter is going to be a heck of a player if he can stay healthy but I’d expect the Jets to add at least one more option with real speed. We may also see Elijah Moore take some snaps lined up as a running back

REVISion, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Here’s an interesting player. Not a ton of tape on him but he’s a mean runner who seeks contact out at 225.

Not a ton of highlight tapes out there for him despite rushing for 1600 yards this past year. He doesn’t look stiff enough to not be able to do it, but he didn’t offer much as a receiver. Dude converted back and forth to linebacker between seasons.

blackssmagic and Cman68 like this.
  17. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Hell yes it is, for several reasons. We have no short yardage/goal line RB currently. Plus, we travel to Buffalo and New England as well as playing in New York. The weather can be crazy in these places at times. My pick is Haskins from Michigan, kid was a linebacker convert at UofM. He plays with a tuff, physical mindset. He runs hard in between the tackles. He is a bigger kid so that helps. He would be perfect in our system. He gets no hype from the media so he will probably go 4th round or later. But that is my bigger back pick as I have watched every game being a Michigan fan

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What we really need is a big fast back to focus the offense around. If we can find that Ezekiel Elliot/Joe Mixon type then it becomes a lot easier to try to shoehorn Zach Wilson into an NFL offense.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  19. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

his physicality and Yac stand out to me. Does also have a nice burst of speed at times. Where is he currently projected to go???

Cman68 likes this.
  20. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

While I understand that was a highlight clip, one thing I noticed was that his legs are constantly moving. Another thing, his speed is somewhat elusive as once he hit the hole he takes off. Nice find on him, he would def seem to fit the build

Cman68 likes this.