Build it like the Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 15, 2022.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Macy's? JD's a Dollar General guy, and only during big sales.

He let Wilson get lit up this season rather than pay a guard 10% over fair market value in FA.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I want both - a stud WR and a stud OL, along with a stud pass rusher with the first 3 picks.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Douglas has made several good picks. Moore and both Carters look good to me. Bryce Hall and Echols could be good. AVT clearly will be a starter in the league if he stays healthy.

I also think he's made some bad decisions and bad picks. Right now I judge him very harshly on the 6-27. That's his fault more than anybody else.

HomeoftheJets, NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

it behooves ANY team with a young QB to build that OL to perform above NFL standards. The 2 most important positions on the line are LT and center.

There is NO excuse not to have all pro/pro bowl level talent at those 2 positons. Just no excuse.

This is a perfect draft to secure that talent at those 2 positons - regardless of what becton consumes this winter.

you have 4 picks total in rounds 1/2. get the 2 OL and then get the so called weapons (WR on offense, defensive playmakers).

BrowningNagle and ouchy like this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He’s an absolute stud. Elusive, fast and can lower the boom too. I think he’s the best RB in the draft

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Mute points always leave me speechless.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry my bad ..6-27 is ?

Did he get us Berrios or was he on Practice Squad?

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Please name the Bengals, Bills, Patriots, and Cardinals pro bowl LT and C.

REVISion likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. A draft formula proven successful to this day. No matter how good the QB is the line is what makes him succeed long term. No wonder the teams that are in the SB hunt are all blessed with superior OL and may I say, a strong running game to help the QB. Tennessee, Buffalo, Rams, GB and Bucs are prime examples of that. KC does not, and IMO is the Achilles heal of the team even with the most elusive and one of the top QBs to boot.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

great name for a running back too

“Broncos worried Jets will ride their Ford to victory”

Rockinz likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Chiefs OL was overhauled in the offseason and has looked pretty good from what I've seen this season. Humphrey might be a perennial all pro and Thuney is one of the best LG's.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are correct, my mistake. I actually got the OL mixed up with the Cardinals OL

#112 LAJet, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Building a good team with top talent before landing a FQB makes sense on the level that you have 3 seasons after his rookie season to strike gold, then it's time to gut your roster to pay your FQB $40-50mil per. If the team is in place (kinda like the Bucs last season) you can rack up several rings b4 starting over.

But if you wait till you have your FQB b4 building a team, but the time you've built a team it will be time to tear it back down.

Seattle lucked out by hitting big on 2 consecutive drafts with Wilson plus true talent and had 3 years of high performance b4 it was time to tear it down to pay the QB.

Bengals are in a sweet spot with Burrows and Chase both on early rookie contracts. That doesn't happen too often.

Acad23, Nyjets4eva and LAJet like this.
  14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

You can only build like the Bunguls if you have a Joe Burrow and Chase. We don’t have that yet, even with his Oline problems Burrow made plays after plays and is a sure thing coming right out. The approach we need and I hate to say this is build it like the Pats. That’s the fastest way to get steady play and be back in the playoffs with your QB doing as little as possible and then hoping he turns into a FQB. Build a good Oline, with multiple Rbs and a strong D

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I strongly support this concept for us. Having a coach savvy enough to implement this approach is key. Hope Saleh is the guy

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is what I was sure LeFleur/Saleh would do with Z last year...bring him along slowly, putting not much on his plate. Rely on running game and D in the beginning, yes, similar to what NE did with Mac. But it seemed like LeFleur was putting 90% of the game plan squarely on Z's throwing arm. It wasn't until Mike W threw for 400 yrds playing is safe that LeFleur went that rout with Z too.

I write it off as LeFleur (and Saleh's) maiden voyage, and they will have a much better plan for Z going forward. I give them credit for pivoting mid season tho.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Just curious: if a top prospect this year, say, a Carson Strong, slips to the 2nd round, do you pull the trigger? Really interested because as it stands, it's not out of the question.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If someone was in a coma for the last 5 years and just came out of it they would probably think this thread title was a joke. Never thought it'd come to this. Sad but true.

As already said repeatedly, it all comes down to Wilson. Even if we got some game breaking, explosive, over the top WR with one of our first two picks does Wilson have the goods to turn them into a dynamic duo and elevate the entire team the way Burrow/Chase did? Remains to be seen.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets definitely should take a QB at some point this year. They should have a real QB competition in camp, if for no other reason than understanding what their options are if Zach falters next season.

REVISion likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Great question, I believe he might fall to third round and I would snag him there.

There are a lot of good football players ahead of him that can help Jets fill holes. I have seen Macagnan leave good football players on the board and reach a lot, hence why Jets are in the situation needing this draft to make or break the team.

This years draft is huge for the Jets, they need to grab a lot of good football players but I would definitely grab a developmental QB as well.

what do you think they should do?