Mekhi Becton injury prognosis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yup, stop filling your face with shite you fat fuck and give yourself a chance to get fit and back in the team.

Get him fit and trade him before people see Lawson roast him again all camp (if he comes back fit, of course, sigh!)

2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Doubt it is as simple as that. For you or I it's a relatively easy thing to cut out 500 calories per day and lose weight. But a pro athlete is probably consuming upwards of 6000 calories per day to enable him to train and maintain muscle mass. He still has to do that or the weight he will lose will be muscle not fat and he won't have the strength needed to play, so it's not that surprising that he put on weight while having to rehab. That's not to say he can't do better. He clearly can, just that don't eat so much isn't necessarily an option. No doubt someone can explain this better!

To me Becton's issue is that his body is out of proportion. He looks very top heavy and his legs are too small for his body. I'd suggest that he may need more leg work than is usually the case for players in his position.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No I think you’re spot on. I have no issue dumping in Mekhi because I don’t think it ended up being the right selection.

But I don’t think it’s foreign that some of the bigger NFL players put on some weight when they go down with a lower body injury. He now has 8 months to get his ass into shape for camp and if he doesn’t, that’s the big issue.

But he’s been training as a high calibre athlete for at least the past five years. Suddenly he can’t for five months. Of course he gained weight.

NYJFOREVER and MoWilkBeast like this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The guy has a personal chef, surrounded by top trainers and Physical therapist and your to fat to rehab. Rehab starts the day after surgery there is no excuse for this. There are plenty of things he can be doing physically to stay in shape.

He chose not to. He would not be the first person to eat his way out of the NFL.

REVISion likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

And he just had knee surgery. It’s not like he can do anything near the type of exercises a professional athlete needs to do to stay in playing shape.

It’s disappointing to hear but I don’t think it’s the end of the world at this very moment. We’re not two weeks away from training camp and he’s 50 pounds over weight.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

No, but I believe the article said he put on too much weight to rehab properly. Getting back into playing shape is part of rehab but he could not even get back to that. JJ watt is coming back from a 6 month injury in two months. Rehab is not waiting until your healed then get into rehab. Rehab starts the day after surgery, if he was/is not going hard in rehab that says a lot. You can train harder than you think.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t disagree. And I think Occam’s razor applies in that it’s likely that he’s lazy and rehabbed lazy. I just don’t think it’s unheard of for big NFL players to gain weight when they have a lower body injury that disallows them to run or do football activities especially if the knee swells.

I also don’t look to JJ Watt as any sort of model for how other player should rehab. As far as I can remember as well, all of his major injuries that he’s beaten the rehab time on are bicep or shoulder injuries.

cval likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is plenty Becton coulda done. Put down the fork namely. But they pay these athletic trainers big money to keep athletes in shape while they rehab an injury, Becton just didn't listen to them. He let his team down, plain & simple.

He should make up for it by showing up to camp trimmed and in the best shape of his life. That's the standard, the expectation, not some aspirational goal or suggestion

REVISion and NY Jets68 like this.
  9. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I agree. It's his JOB/CAREER to be in the best physical shape possible.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I thought he been had a nutritionist and such? Good news though I think…

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

4 pictures of him without food would have been way better

barfolomew likes this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

he has been working with her for months now.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

First of all, look at how small that container is. Second, the picture was posted by his nutritionist.

Becton is about 360-370lbs according to a couple different sources. Assuming he was just an average joe, he'd have to eat like 4000 calories a day to just maintain that body weight, which is a metric shit ton of food. Factor in he's professional athlete and trains like one, he's going to have to eat a couple thousand more. To add to that, I know it's been two years, but his body fat % at the combine was 17%, which is ridiculously low for a man of his size. Mekhi Becton is just a mammoth of a human.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and MoWilkBeast like this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

I'd forgotten about the body fat ratio. That was ludicrously low, like distance runner low. I have to wonder if artificially so.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I wasn’t too high on him on his rookie league campaign and didn’t have the same fuzzy feelings that many thought was closed to All Pro. Not only was he was injured but he gave up 6-7 sacks. He was pretty good creating holes on the run.

however I will say this, I am not giving up on him and hopefully he can turn it around. Still get a high end OL in the draft with one their first four picks and hope Becton can get it straightened out. To trade him? Nah I don’t think it’s worth it

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It's so insanely low for such a large person. If he's naturally that low a body fat percentage then he has some freakish genetics (which I think we already know he does anyways). My guess is the team wants to get his weight down to put less stress on his joints, so they're trying to cut his body fat percentage since he isn't going to cut off muscle or bone mass.

And even if Mekhi is at like 25-30% body fat, that's still almost 300lbs of non-fat.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I want to know WHY was Becton allowed to neglect training? If he's injured doesn't he still have requirements to come and lift weights at the Jets facility?

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Lifting weights is a lot different than cardio and dynamic movements. Lifting weights puts weight on.

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

He wasn't there were numerous photos of him on the field at the facility. So he was there.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You know, before I thought this was kind of silly but after thinking about it more. I'd love to put Becton at guard and just send him to maul the guys in front of him. No fancy pulls or worry about the opponents edge speed. Just sick em boy. With AVT, Fant, and a solid C pick, we'd be winning up front and it would be fun to see.

That is, if we had a north south running game and not our annoying zone running game.

#340 ouchy, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    barfolomew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.