Jets are picking 4th and 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Probably not, but it could be a centerpiece of a deal. Our second rounder is not that far from 1st. I am not saying it is likely to happen, just not outside of realm of possibility. Chances are we will stay where we are and draft 4th and 10th, this was more of an exploratory idea that has a small chance of happening.

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I want no part of trading up, even if it was as cheap as that (which it wouldn't be). I could live with a trade down. I think it's going to be a very exciting free agency and draft period - the best part of the season for a Jets fan!

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

good points…the only real vets to help Wilson are Davis and Fant really….everyone else is learning too. My only worry is that we had a lot of injuries at OT, WR, RB and TE this year, and our lack of depth killed us. Zach was trying to throw to #4 and #5 receivers way too many games. I’m hesitant to go into next year with the same group just hoping they stay healthy. We need a TE for sure, but I’d try and add WR big time. Also, Moses is not signed for next year (we need him back) and I’m not even sure if Fant is under contract either. I’d love to keep Fant at LT and move Becton to RT, but I am also super weary of Becton ability to stay on the field. He missed a bunch of time last year with nagging things, and he lost all of this year to an injury that should’ve on,y cost half a season. I’m not sure I want to count on that guys ability to stay on the field.

totally agree we need defense help as well though. Young fast hard hitting players…like the energy that Quincy W brought to the field

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Jets 79:

Congrats, man! I noticed your likes are about double your posts. Not many can say that. Says a lot about your insight.

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and Jets79 like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

thanks!

I’ve been watching a long time….

barfolomew, Pepsiguy5 and tomdeb like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This would be a repeat of the Jamal Adams fiasco IMO. Taking a Safety in the top half of the first round is a waste of that high draft pick. There are positions that have higher impact than Safety that should be filled first as a general rule. The only exception would be a team that's a playoff caliber team that needs to upgrade their secondary to contend for the SB.

I think JD trades back from #4 in the situation you describe.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Teams that have the holes we do don't trade up.

Losmeister, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd rather JD trade down, if possible, rather than take Hamilton, but I suggest you go watch some video of Hamilton. Adams isn't even in the same area code as Hamilton in terms of S play. Hamilton is a playmaker, a ballhawk, and he would greatly improve our secondary. None of our CBs are ballhawks. We need a true ballhawk back there. Initially, I was all against Hamilton too, but after watching some video of him and reading more about him, my opinion changed. There's no way it would be a fiasco or even remotely close.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Exactly. JD did last year because of the dire need at LG. There's no way that I think he'd do that 2 years in a row. If anything, it makes it more likely that he trades down at least once, maybe twice.

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

JD is an idiot for trading up last year. Dire need at LG? What about RG which was a bigger need and went totally unaddressed because of the trade up for AVT and JD being a cheapass in FA?

11. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I think the Giants trade for Watson with Flo as their coach

12. NCJetsfan

RG was not a bigger need than LG. To begin with, we had no one at LG with Lewis retiring. Second, the LG helps protect the QBs blind side, so even as bad as GVR is, it's ridiculous to try to claim that RG was more important.

JD is not and was not an idiot. He's forgotten more about football than either you or I will ever know.

#192 NCJetsfan, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Jets79, Borat and KingRoach like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

You're right, I haven't watched any video or done any research on Hamilton. I have no doubt that he's a great Safety - maybe generational - but I'm completely opposed to using a Top 15 pick on a Safety or CB, especially when we have so many other needs. When I equated taking Hamilton to Adams as a "fiasco", I wasn't comparing their abilities, rather the idea of taking a Safety that high. I'd be shocked if JD can't work a trade back for more quality picks if Hamilton is the BPA at 4 or 10. What we need is a stud pass rusher to put pressure on QBs, and a big improvement in run stopping. Yes, it would be great to have a stud Safety and CB too, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and some things will just have to wait.

Jets79, Borat, tomdeb and 1 other person like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I hear ya, and as I said, I'd rather trade back. Of course, I'd rather have a stud pass rusher, but I'm not certain there is a stud pass rusher in this draft, and if there is, I'm not sure that we will be in position to take him. A playmaker in our secondary could be huge for our D, but I can understand your not wanting to take a S that high. Normally, I wouldn't either, but he's one of the top 4 players in the draft. Taking him would be better than reaching for an inferior player at a position of need

KingRoach likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Here's the thing: I'm extremely gunshy about relying on ratings, especially ones that call a player "top 5" or best. Leo Williams was one of those, so was Adams, so was Q. Williams - and that's just on the Jets. The reality is that ranking a player as a top player isn't valid without taking into account the position he plays, and ultimately what team and circumstances he'll play in (which of course you can't know ahead of time). I'm sure Hamilton would make a difference for the Jets, but is it enough of a difference to use that pick on him as opposed to using it for a stud Edge or WR or even a C/G, or failing one of those more quality picks? I don't think so.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree with bold! If we make 2 picks in top 15, I prefer edge, OL, WR, even LB before secondary. The jets badly need another tackling LB against the run.

17. ColoradoContrails

Absolutely!

Jets79 and tomdeb like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Appreciate your opinion, but I think getting a tackling safety is more important to the jets than a ballhawk safety. And I gotta believe the jets a can get a tackling safety in FA or later in draft.
    2021 was the first year I invested in NFL Sunday ticket and I watched every jets game this year (as did most of you guys). But I was stunned by guys like Ashtyn Davis and other jet safeties taking terrible angles and literally waiting for the running back 10 yards down the field instead of CHARGING AT the RB. The 2021 jet safeties on run support reminded of Revis AFTER he signed the last contract with the jets, and looked like he wanted no part of hard hitting. I am sure Hamilton would upgrade pass and run defense, but didn't we take Adams before Mahomes? Better impact players than DBs can be found in the top 15 IMO .

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Check this prospect out guys! Jeremiah Hall from OU is on our Senior Bowl team and reminds me a lot of Kyle Juszczyk from San Fran! Really atheltic, tough and versatile....would be a GREAT snag in the 4th or 5th

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He can definitely do the job but I'm not seeing Kyle Juszczyk.

This is Kyle Juszczyk.

Unfortunately he didn't declare so we'll probably miss out on him next year.