Build it like the Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Or trade up for a guard and use 2 third rounders to do it.. it’s not a slight a AVT the kid did well but loosing those picks cost us 2-3 starters. It’s absolutely ridiculous he did that.

ouchy likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Love Jerome Ford. It means a lot that he was a targeted 4 star recruit by Alabama too. He just didn’t want to wait to play and who could blame him. Bama’s running back pipeline is insane.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I hated the BPA philosophy as it skewed the Team needs in favor of grab the talented , hyped up guy

So how do we do it the right way Brad ? The aforementioned examples were all Divas and lazy money hungry losers ..at least Adams gave half an effort smh

ouchy likes this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think everyone knew going in that Davis was a complementary piece - we didn’t give him a WR1 contract.

We need a #1 but Davis has a place on this team.

I was all over Williams before his injury, now I’m hoping we trade for Ridley or pick up Wilson at 10 (I think he goes at 8 to Atlanta).

RBs and TEs can be found in the later rounds and would be something to spend our 4ths on. Since TEs need time to develop, we should find one in the off-season too…. God this TB/Eagles game sucks

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

Vilma is right ..my goodness how can you compare Burrows who won a Nat Championship at LSU with a BYU overachiever ??

Not saying Zach isn't talented but Burrowshad the mojo going before and after his injury

IIMeanDeanII, ouchy and Br4d like this.
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So the solution to all the jets problems comes down to drafting better players? Okay, sign me up.

You understand, this is the equivalent of a play call that goes “take the ball Johnny and run for a touchdown.”

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Good talent evaluation. Lots of picks. Not cherry-picking. Humility in the draft room.

You can be right about a prospect and wrong about building a team at the same time. The Jets kind of specialize in this kind of hubris.

REVISion and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Br4d

Is Johnny a great player capable of running for that TD?

Cuz he's the guy we need...

To kind of better explain the overall problem: the Jets are like a store that purchases everything at retail instead of wholesale. The goods can be ok but the margin is going to sink us every time and twice on Sunday.

Mangini was the best talent evaluator we've had recently but even he was prone to making the big leap that his eye for talent was more important than accepting that NFL meant Not For Long. The long draft from the Abraham trade in 2006 was immediately followed by the short drafts in 2007 and 2008 that gave us Revis, Harris and Keller. Great players there but the Jets were running on empty by 2011.

#88 Br4d, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Why can’t it be the same blueprint? A blueprint that keeps you a contending team, should work to build a competitive team.

The one thing they have in common is FQB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He had Chase and Jefferson who are top 5 in the NFL for that Natty but yes Burrow is special. I think ZW can be really good too. I love his release.

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

the game is won in the trenches, period. Look no further than last year's SB where KC QB got his ass whooped. For those that think drafting a WR over a T, G, C is fooling themselves, i.e., 8 sacks, how many hits last Buff game.

ouchy and cval like this.
  12. KingRoach

Lol. Ok can get behind that blueprint for building a championship team *get a FQB”.

ouchy likes this.
  13. Br4d

Some teams go through rebuilds without the FQB and then pop-up when he's acquired.

The Steelers rebuilt with Neil O'Donnell and stayed competitive all through the process, raising themselves from mediocrity to consistent contender. Then they finally found the FQB in Roethlisberger and won a couple of Super Bowls. They had up years and down years but they mainly stayed competitive without ever being horrible in the process.

We're so focused on finding the FQB that we don't realize how unlikely it is that we will succeed even if we find that guy. We haven't done the core work to make an FQB relevant, just like the Lions never made Matthew Stafford relevant and the Chargers never made Philip Rivers relevant.

Zach Wilson failing is almost a non-issue at this point because even if he was succeeding we'd be a crappy football team. The fact that he is failing makes us farther away from being a contender but he's just one part of getting there and we haven't got the pieces that would make him relevant on either side of the ball.

Of all the pieces the Jets have added over the last few years Elijah Moore probably looks best to me as a piece of the puzzle. However the Jets added Wesley Walker in 1977 and it took 5 years for them to make that acquisition relevant by adding enough value and building the team where his contributions would be to a winner.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. KingRoach

How many of our 5 starters on the OL were out the last Buffalo game? We can agree we need to upgrade our depth bc injuries happen, but I think the first 50 is a bit early to draft a backup.

REVISion likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This draft is going to make or break this team. We know teams have the moth to the light syndrome when it comes to QBs.

Personally I like the Ron Wolf principle of drafting a developmental QB in the 4th round even if you have a starter.

The team building philosophy is all over the place with general managers but they all want the same thing. Franchise QBs, Pass Rusher and play making skill position players.

Creating a balanced team is the key, problem is the constant coaching changes in the NFL or the failed FQB gets coaches fired and teams start all over again in the draft.

Jets don’t have to be mired in basement even with Wilson as their QB.

Joe D is building the team around him and the team will be built even if Wilson fails, so when the next QB is drafted the team will be in place.

Becton, AVT, another OL drafted this year, Elijah Moore, another WR drafted this year, Carter another RB drafted this year.

Quinnen, Lawson signed as FA another DE drafted this year. You see how the team is taking shape even with Wilson as QB?

That’s how a team is built, my concern is CS, with a veteran staff jets get this turned around much faster.

Mark my words, this team will move on from Wilson next year if he doesn’t produce.

#95 Red Menace, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  16. Br4d

The problem is that the new GM/Talent Guy will want his own players and he will do the same thing Douglas did - turn the roster over.

This is why you want organizational continuity in the GM/Talent Eval process.

However when you have a guy with the wrong idea or no real eye for talent you wind up just treading water in the deep end of the pool.

It's a nasty conundrum and it's one of the reasons I went so sharply negative when I saw Douglas make two bad moves at the top of the draft. I know exactly what those moves have cost us if we can't get enough momentum to move forward. They've basically taken the Jets out of range for me in terms of following the team, particularly if Douglas repeats the flawed process this season.

REVISion, NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I can't go crazy about the d-coordinator when they had basically zilch in terms of talent other than Mosley and Hall. Maybe Quinnen but he didn't have as big an impact this year. His brother - a freaking waiver pickup who was benched for half the season - was arguably our third or fourth best d-player.

Certainly they had zilch in the secondary and in terms of a pass rush.

18. NYJetsO12

So Elijah Moore is the only ray of light for talent evaluator Douglass?? Personally I am a bit South on him as our Savior

And I posted this scenario before >>>all that Cap space and Mr JD sitting on the phone when FA starts

So who should he be calling Brad?

Then come the Draft will we end up shopping at Brooks Bros (best) Macy's (Better) or Kovettes / Johns Bargain Store(the Cellar) ahaha

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Advanced analytics for positional importance say that OL is middle of the pack in importance and DL is near the bottom.

The Bucs won the Super Bowl because they had a shitload of weapons, a better defense AND a better OL than the Chiefs who were missing tons of guys. Correlation=/=causation. They happened to have a better OL, sure, but they also had better weapons and defense.

Our game against Buffalo is irrelevant because we were missing 3 starters at OL and 4 starters at WR. It means nothing. Missing that many guys at once is extremely rare, you don't build a team for outlier events.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think JD shops at Macy's. Certainly not Neiman Marcus. I just hope he doesn't succumb to his frugal side and shops DollarTwentyFive General now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.