Joe Douglas needs to go get WEAPONS for Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 16, 2022.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think we’re another season or 2 away from forgetting about mims.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd love to have Adams, but doubt that he'd leave GB for the Jets. I want no part of Ridley. He has yet to start every game of any season in his career (he only started/appeared in 5 games this past season) and has mental health issues. https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/calvin-ridley-back-atlanta-mental-health-salary-cap
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/calvin-ridley-falcons-nfl/1e66qw5nxgqag112bctaamuzbc

He's due a fully-guaranteed $11.1 million salary in 2022, and then could be a FA the following season. Atlanta isn't going to give him away, so even as much as I want a stud, proven WR for Zach, I'm totally against trading for Ridley, having to pay him that big contract, and then he could just walk away from the game or need to take another long hiatus in 2022 to deal with his mental health issues. I feel sorry for him and hope he can get those issues straightened out, and be able to resume his football career, but imo it shouldn't be with the Jets.

I'd have some interest in Thomas, but NO isn't going to give him away. His price tag would probably be too high. Will he even be the same player after his ankle injury? If he's healthy and we could get him for a decent cost, I'd be all for it, but I would rather sign Mike Williams or Allen Robinson in FA. I'd take Robinson even though he had hamstring issues and was in the Covid protocol this past season.

3. NCJetsfan

What do you mean if Fant can come back? Unless I'm mistaken he's under contract for the 2022 season as is McGovern. While we need a starting RG, and better C, OG, and OT depth, unless Becton will not be healthy, imo we don't "need" to draft an OT this offseason. I think it would be smart to draft one and groom him for next season, maybe playing him at RG this year. If the Jets think Ekwonu or Green can play RT, then taking one of them may be one of the best moves they could make. They could start him at RG this season, and he could take over RT next season. Hopefully, after this season they can re-sign Fant as OT depth or draft another OT for depth purposes.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Perhaps, but I'm trying. I haven't totally given up on him, but I think I'm more disappointed in him than any other early draft pick the Jets have had recently. I think he gets one more chance in OTAs and TC, and if he doesn't look significantly better, I don't think he makes the team.

Noam likes this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Would be nice but GB will franchise tag him 100%

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I hope the kid knows this and dedicates himself to getting better. I think his problem is mental and if he doesn't get himself straightened out, he's a goner no matter his draft status. Can't carry dead weight on a roster thin on talent.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I hope he does too, but I have about given up hope for him, at least as far as the Jets go.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Joe D needs to use our picks not only in the draft but he must parlay a couple into established NFL players .

A trade for Ridley would be my priority , if he's ready to commit himself to the game ... as far as bang for the buck goes I think he can be had for a 2nd , which for a player of his caliber is a pretty good deal for us.
    I'd still draft a WR in the 2nd rd , and sign Schultz as our top FA acquisition to give us the top TE we've so desperately needed ... still need to draft another TE to go along with him .

In the draft I'd like to draft a O lineman in the 1st round with one of our picks ... have to upgrade that line and add quality depth .
    Keeping Fant at LT is the best option as far as I can see as I have zero trust in Becton until he proves otherwise .

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He doesn't read the field well. He doesn't release the ball quickly enough. He doesn't have enough touch to make all the throws he needs to make in the system.

He gets lost in the rush, frequently retreating when he should throw the ball away and not stepping up and making the throw to his 2nd read often enough when the 1st guy is well covered.

He doesn't like throwing to the outlet backs. Carter was a weapon for every other QB on the Jets this season and an afterthought for Zach.

Basically he's just not focused on playing the kind of game he needs to play to fit into the system LaFleur tried to install and will likely try to get going again in 2022.

ouchy and Endlessly Counting like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I generally agree that you need to have good OL/DL, but they aren't built all at once. The Jets can't afford to use their top picks all on the OL/DL. As badly as they need those things, they also need a true #1 WR, and depending on who's available they also have a big need for a TE, LB, S, CB. I'm hoping Douglas can fill some of these needs in FA with studs, or at least above average guys who can fill the spots for a couple of years while he gets those studs in future drafts.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Crazy thought, the 10th pick and 2023 1st for Justin Jefferson. Hey, it couldn't hurt to ask. :D

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I think you're wearing your opposite lenses again.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You ever read something and wonder if you’re having a stroke because it’s so far off from reality?

KingRoach and FJF like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

IDK about a stroke, but I do get dumbfounded.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think Yeboah could fill that role. He’s only a half step slower than Juszczyk and 30 lbs heavier.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn’t like drafting a C (not a position we need to upgrade this year) in the 1st and a RB in the 2nd. It seems like a waste of picks to me 2

17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I agree man. We have to continue relying on the draft of course, but adding some players via trade is also very important.

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

If Minny was willing to do that, I'd do it in a NY minute, but they'd be crazy to do that.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yeah, cheat.

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Draft a WR at 10
    Draft McBride or Ruckert
    Throw the BAG at Schultz or bring in Njoku

I would even consider dropping from 4 to ATLs pick for Ridley + a pick AND still draft a WR at 10