Let's talk WR's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Ima plant my flag on the Burks bandwagon now and I’ve said his name a few times round here. He can line up numerous spots, massive size/speed combo…big hands, he does similar stuff that Deebo does for the Niners and I think that will intrigue the Jets. Not that they will use him just as much but I feel the Jets will grab a big bodied WR…I feel Burks is the best for that.

London maybe the most polished but doesn’t have that long speed. I’d take him, I don’t think at 10 though potentially. I think Burks will have some helium if he runs an insane time.

My sleeper is Dotson. He has sneaky speed, runs smooth routes and can very well start right away, if we go with a Dotson, it’s a must to grab a big TE to compliment.

2. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that both Jameson Williams and John Metchie have declared for the draft whilst injured. I can only assume that they think that the injuries will not effect their draft stock.

A lot of Bama fans had assumed that Metchie would return for his senior year and try and improve his draft stock. Equally, it was surprising that Slade Boldon has declared too, when he would have been the senior W/R on the team next year.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

One injury in college could put paid to untold riches, why risk the final year if your stock is high?

Even a one done and out contract would make you set for a long time if not life with a bit of prudent spending.

4. Leicester Jet

What if you were a 2nd round pick - because of your injury - and you thought you could move that up to a 1st round pick with a good senior season (back to where you were ranked before the injury) ? That could be many millions of dollars extra and you could earn a good year of NIL money in your final year at college.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more wrong about Burks. Guy, you obviously have watched little of him as he is neither a "Diva" nor is he a low effort guy. I've watched a lot of film on him, and when he scored a long TD, got a 1st down or made a tough catch, he handed or flipped the ball to the referee. Not once did he showboat or do anything to draw attention to himself. He lines up all over the field, breaks tackles, etc. The only bad thing I saw was on one play he was supposed to block and he made a half-hearted attempt at a block. One analysis video I watched about him said that he takes some plays off, but they still had him as possibly the best WR prospect in the draft class, so it must not have been too concerning to them.

As far as the UGA game, he got smothered by the Bulldogs because he didn't play the week before and was was in an ankle boot.

I also disagree about London having enough speed and being a deep threat. A QB would have to buy time for 4-5 seconds to give London time to get down the field. He looks very slow (OL slow) to me.

I agree that Wilson is the most pro-ready WR, but he isn't a good fit for the Jets since they have Moore at one starting position. They can't have two shorter, smaller-framed WRs in an offense that calls for the WRs to block. It also would make for too small catch radiuses and windows for Zach.

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, but one can't play out of fear. If one still has things to learn, or if one has a desire to be one of the top picks in the draft and legitimately thinks one can be, I can understand it. Some of these players have a lot of pride and a burning desire to be the best. They aren't willing to settle for just being rated pretty high. Rookie contracts aren't that great. Yes, they're still a lot of money, more than most of us make, perhaps in a lifetime, but when they think they can greatly increase that amount and are willing to put in the work, why not? If a player is only rated as a lower 1st round/top of the 2nd round pick and thinks he can elevate his status to a top 10-15 draft pick, it's worth the shot. If he gets injured, he could still get drafted in the lower 1st round or upper 2nd round. I don't think Jameson Williams will fall all that far. Some playoff team at the bottom of the 1st round who can afford to let him sit most of his rookie year and rehab will take him.

In that scenario,he has also helped himself in that he wound up with a playoff team instead a terrible team at the bottom of the league.

K'OB likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What's obvious about It? You coming at me and telling me that It's obvious, doesn't make it true. You have a different opinion, great, that doesn't make me wrong though just because you say so.

As far as film, you sound like all you do Is watch highlights. Go actually watch a full game, see how he acts when the play goes dead, when the QB doesn't get him the ball at certain times. Go watch him play against Alabama. Not just his highlights, go watch him play a full game.

I definitely see a diva side to the kid. Like it or don't, I don't care.

I don't care about the excuses either. The fact is, he was smothered. To be fair, that offense was overmatched In all aspects by that Bulldog defense.

London Is not OL slow. lol

Okay. He isn't a burner but he has enough speed to be a threat. I guess we shall see if his ankle will be healed for his pro day to find out his official 40.

Wilson would fit just fine In this offense. That doesn't even make any sense to me, he did just fine In the run blocking aspect of that offense. He would be a huge weapon for us and Is easily the best WR In this class for me. To say the best WR isn't a good fit for our offense makes zero sense. What about the kid makes him a bad fit? Huh?

8. NCJetsfan

I have watched every game of Burks from this past season.

Why so defensive and hostile? It was not meant as an attack. We have always had civil and enjoyable discussions.

Oh and too answer your question as to what is "obvious" about it, not once did I see him do anything to showboat, draw attention to himself, or boast. Instead, he would calmly flip the ball to the referee and go back to the huddle or sideline. There's nothing "diva" about that.

I honestly don't see how you could think Burks is a diva. You're entitled to your opinion, but I was curious as to what gave you that impression in case I missed something. Seriously, a player isn't even fully healthy yet goes out there and tries his best, and that's not a legitimate reason, just an "excuse," especially when you admit that his whole offense was smothered by UGA? A lot of teams were smothered by UGA. There's no shame in that.

His size. I think it would be incredibly dumb to have two small WRs as your primary WRs. That makes for smaller targets, smaller windows, smaller catch radiuses, and less effective blocking. If we didn't have Moore, I'd be quite happy with Garrett Wilson, but since we have Moore, I don't want Wilson at all. I'm not biased by my allegiance to any university/college program as you are. The Jets did that with Moss and Coles. It didn't work out all that well.

#128 NCJetsfan, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  9. K'OB

As they are injured already they really should go back and get their stock high again, I was probably more meaning the last guy mentioned who isn't injured Slade Bolton.

10. Leicester Jet

With Slade Bolden it would have been his first year as the Senior - after playing with all those 1st round picks - so his draft stock may well have gone up. But its his decision, hope he made the right one - Bama is absolutely loaded all over the team for next year.

K'OB likes this.
  11. K'OB

What do you watch college football on btw?

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm all in on Wilson. He's the one who will make the biggest impact in year 1 and become a top 10 WR in the NFL by year 2.

REVISion and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. Leicester Jet

You can actually watch quite a lot of live games on Youtube or my other standby is Weakstreams

http://weakstreams.com/category/cfb-streams/

They are usually good for College, NFL and even premier league streams

When the games start again let me know if you want a particular stream and I will see if I can find it for you

K'OB likes this.
  14. K'OB

Cheers, I have bookmarked that site, tbh I don't even know when college football plays ie weekday or the timing, I am going to guess it will be a lot of late kickoffs

15. Leicester Jet

Most games are on a Saturday, with gametimes for the UK being 5.30pm onwards. All the Alabama games this year have been around 8.30pm to 9.30pm, with a few primetimes games being a midnight -1am KO. I usually get a few hours sleep after tea and get back up for the midnight plus games. Very enjoyable, and makes the draft far more interesting as you know more about the players and have seen them actually play.

Brook! likes this.
  16. K'OB

Well that's not too bad then on a Saturday, I don't work a Sunday lol

Leicester Jet likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wilson is "only" 6' but his catch radius is huge for his size given his leaping ability, hands and body control. I understand the concerns regarding his height but I don't think his catch radius should be in question.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He absolutely has thrown little diva like fits In games when things don't go his way, the QB misses him open, thinks he was interfered with, etc...

It's not a big deal. I'm not trying to say he absolutely will be a distraction In the locker room. I'm just saying, I can see some immaturity there at times.

I'm not suggesting he was show boating. Just frustration shows with this kid at times when things don't go the way he wants. Which, happens to a lot of young kids. Not overly concerning, I just think it's a bad look.

I'm not defensive or hostile at all. I think you took my post the wrong way if that is your perception.

Garret really isn't that small. He certainly isn't 5'9 175lbs small. Garret Wilson is 6'/6'1? at around 190/195 lbs. Combine will shed more light on that though.

Your argument makes zero sense though. Not only are they different In size, they also are different at the position. I think they would compliment one another extremely well.

In no way are they the same though. GW is a massive safe zone In 1v1 contested catches. Zach would have a much bigger room for error with GW. I don't see how they wouldn't compliment each other extremely well. Idk.

It has nothing to do with biased. I've been very neutral and honest in my opinion of OSU players over the years. That's just a willy nilly thing to throw out In an attempt to discredit my opinion. It's lame to be honest, holds no weight, but to each their own.

It doesn't take away from my honest observation at all though. So, feel however you may good sir.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've read 5'11" on some sites and 6'0" on others. That's an inch or two shorter than Chase and Jefferson, who have taken the league by storm. If there's a WR who is a sure thing in this draft, it's him.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't know if he'll be a top 10 WR in the NFL but I do think there's a pretty significant dropoff between him and the next best receiver in this class.

KingRoach likes this.