Jets are picking 4th and 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Barring trade down, which I would definitely do with either picks,
    An edge if they fall and I think one does, or Hamilton at 4
    Wilson/Williams at 10.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agree. 2022 is the draft to make a move were I Douglas. The roster stinks. Can't believe I am writing this, but I am not even sure trading down is a great idea in 2022--Douglas did that early and often in 2020 and ended up drafting crap. If he does trade down, he has to pick better players. Not only the draft, he needs to spend on free agents the way NE did last year. No more waiting and hoarding draft picks or cap money. Do something! The status quo is not working.

Brook! likes this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Any trade downs would be huge.
    As of now I like the idea of using one of those 1sts on a WR and maybe they'll mostly have their pick.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m super tired of seeing guys like DJ Montgomery and Tariq Black trotting out there at receiver for this franchise. Time to continue investing in that position around the young QB. 10 is a perfect spot to nab one.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think we wound up with crap in 2020 for a couple of reasons. One, I think Gase had a lot of input into the draft or JD was trying to find players that fit the scheme and who had the skills that Gase wanted. Mims was a good fit in Gase's scheme. He's not in the new scheme. With Zuniga, he was probably rolling the dice, trying to find a solid contributor, if not a starter in the 3rd round at a desperate position of need. Two, when one does trade down, especially in the middle and lower rounds, one quite often does wind up with crap, but the Jets had so many holes, JD was desperate, he had to try. Parcells did the same thing in what the '97 or '98 draft and wound up with a lot of crap instead of a HOF player or two.

The 1st and 2nd rounds are where much of the talent is found in any draft. There are a lot of good players in this draft at positions of need (Edge, WR, TE, LB, OL, S, CB) and I do think that trading down once 4-5 spots could still bring us a very good player, and additional good players who can help. I don't want him to do anything desperate and crazy like trading down with both 1st round picks, and/or trading down to the bottom of the 1st round or out of the 2nd round entirely, or trading for 2023 draft picks, but I think one judicious trade down could help. I also don't want him trading down after the 3rd round. I think that's where GMs wind up with crap more often than not, as the talent pool is generally thinned out by then.

With the cap space we have, hopefully JD will be able to fill a couple of glaring needs in FA and add some solid depth/competition. That, coupled with the apparent abundance of talent at positions of need in this draft, should give him flexibility and enable him to address other positions of need and upgrade positions with better talent.

I trust JD and think he will either stay put and add great players or will make a trade down and add great-very good players who will help. I think the talent level of this team will look much different next season.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cincinnati has shown us the way

8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Good point, after the bills game however, i think o line comes before edge and WR.

KY Jets Fan, BamaDoc and tomdeb like this.
  9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I sure hope so. I saw on NFL network someone saying they would focus on D this draft because they focused on O last draft. Zach was sacked 44 times, how does that allow them to focus on D? The only QB's sacked more were Burrow and Tannehill. If they are serious about developing a FQB they need to fix this OL early and often in the draft of FA.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we have the most draft value of any team as well

[​IMG]

chandler, KY Jets Fan, twown and 3 others like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Dream scenario is a team moves ahead of us to take Pickett, and the Jags take Neal. We end up with one of the top pass rushers at 4 and Wilson at 10. This assumes there's no trade down.

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with the two first round picks getting help on edge and OL.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not sure where you got the idea that Gase had a lot of clout in 2020 draft. Could be true, but I had not heard that before. As I recall, Douglas traded down several times after round 1 in the 2020 draft which led to
    Mims
    Davis
    Zuniga
    Perine
    Clark
    Morgan

THAT is a terrible waste of rounds 2-4 as none of those guys belong on an NFL active roster. I AM including Davis in that statement because he is the worst tackling safety I have ever seen. If Douglas does trade down, he better stick to round 1 only. He did NOT trade down in 2021 and did better. As you know, I am a big fan of trading down in general, but I don't want a repeat of the 2020 draft.
    This IS Douglas' watershed off-season--It is (past) time for him--the jets have the picks and the cap space. I think we are all tired of watching our team occupy the basement (year after year).

Jets79 likes this.
  14. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

1. Protect Zach
    2. Give Zach MORE Weapons

15. barfolomew

Bingo

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Seems like a very good chance Wilson or Williams will be available at 10 and a certainty that London will be available there.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the 2nd round is where we should target OL. Easier to find OL talent there than WR, the good WR's generally all get taken in the 1st round.

I think we target WR and a defender in the first round and OL+TE in the 2nd.

18. barfolomew

That may be. Im not familiar with the talent in the draft this year, so I'm speaking purely from our needs.

cval likes this.
  19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think there will be one more high OL pick this year. Where exactly depends on the board. The exact position depends on FA.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Very possible. There will probably be a safety in the mix also.

REVISion likes this.