A Nice Dream Could Become Reality

Discussion in 'Draft' started by joelip, Jan 9, 2022.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

The observation is that at least one quarterback almost always rises to the top of the draft, whether this is rational of not. Here's a recent prediction by Luke Easterling that the Lions will take Pickett at #2 after Jacksonville takes Hutchinson at #1.

"Start getting comfortable with the idea of Pickett going higher than you might expect. He’s got many of the same traits that sent Joe Burrow flying up the board not too long ago, and a strong predraft process could easily convince a QB-needy team like the Lions that he can have the same kind of impact Burrow is having right now in Cincinnati." 2022 NFL mock draft: Updated 3-round projections for the new year (usatoday.com)

If true, this would open up loads of great draft possibilities for the Jets.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Definitely a possibility. The 2 Edge Rushers could well go 1 and 3 though.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think jags go oline neal
    Neal
    Hutch
    Qb
    Thibs (Jets)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

I think they should go hard after Terron Armstead in Free Agency, and then have the freedom to take whoever they think is the best player in the draft. Probably one of the Edges.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, but if they fail to sign him or another quality starting LT (if there are any others in FA), then I think the Jags would be foolish to prioritize taking an edge over an LT to protect Lawrence's blindside, unless there's one that they're pretty certain will fall to them in the 2nd round who they are very confident will be a quality starter from day one.

6. MaximusD163

Probably yes

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m putting myself into the Jaguars shoes and I’m struggling as to who I think they should pick. Thibodeaux is going to be the best player on the board, but do they go that route and wait another round to help Lawrence out?

I’d argue the Jags supporting cast on offense is the worst in the league when you look at every position group sans RB. Taking Etienne looks worse and worse by the day with these two UDFA doing just fine filling in for him and Robinson.

Pepsiguy5 and FJF like this.
  8. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

do you think any top free agents will want to go to the jags?

FJF likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

$. Will probably be Armstead’s last big deal

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've read about Kenny Pickett possibly being the Joe Burrow of the 2022 draft.

11. MaximusD163

They should go hard after Armstead, and if they do that it instantly improves their OL. They should shop the #1 pick, to see if anyone is desperate enough for Pickett, and go BPA whether it's at 1 or wherever they move down to.

If they stay at 1 and take an Edge, they have pick #33 so they can address offensive skill there, probably WR. They have plenty of money so they can add a few middle tier offensive Free Agents just to help out a bit. If they trade back, they could target a WR like Wilson and have extra picks as well.

It all starts with Terron Armstead though, otherwise it may push you to feel you have to draft OL in the 1st.

12. MaximusD163

There are parallels but in the 2020 Draft, Burrow was considered the most likely pick at #1. The National Championship pretty much just solidified it. Pickett is the consensus #1 QB but I think the draft community still doesn't see him as the likely 1st Overall Pick.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That’s a massive insult to Burrow and what he did. Burrow took down 7 teams in the top 25 in that year at LSU. All 7 were in the top ten when he faced them. They only played two games that finished within a touchdown (Auburn and that wild game versus Texas early in the year). It’s the single greatest CFB player season of all time and I don’t think there are any that are even that close.

15-0 in the SEC and took down three/four (minus OSU) “dynasty” type programs in recent CFB history in Georgia, Alabama and Clemson.

The only thing comparable is that they were both OK at best before exploding their last year.

I think as raw prospects and not considering accomplishments, Burrow was a much better point guard in distributing the ball around although he had better options to do so. Pickett has a bigger arm and I like him on the move a bit more than Burrow because he has power behind his throws on the move.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Good points by both of you. I wasn't fully buying the comparison, but there are some similarities such as production in their last years in college and turning 24 during their rookie seasons in the NFL.