Preseason win predictions revisited

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 4, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Great take. According to sportstrac we had the most players on IR this year.

Having the words “unusually high” made your post very accurate, I wish more posters read words and were capable of better takes.

#21 KingRoach, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    dmw and Acad23 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets blow chunks year after year.

And yet every Spring we have a succession of marketing processes based around the inevitable improvement the new regime - QB - system - whatever is going to produce. Then by August it is a mess in camp, by October the season is all but over and by late November the Jets can't give away tickets if they staple them to a $50 bill.

This is just rotten marketing. It is overpromising and underdelivering and it produces a disgruntled fan base year after year. Probably worst of all it turns kids off the Jets because their expectations get trampled year after year.

It would be better if the Jets just shut off the marketing process entirely until something on the field was actually worth marketing.

#22 Br4d, Jan 7, 2022
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Vilma doesn't get is that among 32 NFL Owners the Johnsons are inept in every Dept except that they also are the most money hungry manipulative nefarious and shady...they use and throw out the Fanbase like a box of their Q Tips tbh

Look at your Logo Brad ..there's a reason we all feel the same

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re so incredibly wrong. No company on the planet markets their product in the fashion that you think the Jets should market theirs.

What should be the messaging? “5 wins tops - we might be better in a couple years!”

Apple rolls out a new iPhone every year with minimal improvements beyond a new chip with processing power that the common consumer can’t comprehend. Their new firmware is always available on models that are available as many as 4 years old. Should they say all of that in their ads? Minimal improvement and you probably don’t need it if you have last years model!

Samsung has lower level smartphone models for pay as you go plans. These models are pretty crappy as compared to the higher level models. Should they write that they’re pieces of shit with slow processing power, darker displays, smaller screens and crappier cameras? Because the every day consumer can’t recognize what the difference in the raw specifications are.

You’re just frustrated that the Jets market their team positively like every other company on planet earth.

abyzmul, KingRoach and REVISion like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Vilma has worked in marketing across three different industries for a decade and has a degree in it. Vilma understands the Jets deficiencies very well.

What exactly do you believe the brand message should be?

6. Br4d

The messaging should be no messaging at this point beyond factual statements of who the Jets have drafted, signed and hired. Dates of events and scheduling of team functions. Prices of tickets, parking fees. Routes too and from the game and alternate transportation possibilities. In other words everything that could not be labeled a blatant con job.

If the Jets want to market success they can setup events, at games and otherwise, with players who were actually successful with the Jets and laud those players and their teams and accomplishments.

What they do instead is hype 35/65 rookie QB prospects to the point that they are 15/85 rookie QB prospects and any successes they have will look pale compared to all the hype that preceded them. They roll these guys out on the field day one to make the odds of success even lower. They market the crap out of that opportunity despite the fact that the endgame will be much worse because of all the hype ahead of time.

You remember that young CB who was marketed as having so much potential in Blessuan Austin?

The Jets did 20+ pieces on him in 2019 and 2020 on the website because he was so marketable...

Watch them do it again with Bryce Hall and Brandon Echols. Just hype the two of them to the point that nobody could live up to the expectations.

Trash, rinse and repeat.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

You’re absolutely insane to advocate that a company worth several billion dollars should not positively market their product. The Jets are in the business of making money, not satisfying the perhaps unrealistic expectations of the fanbase.

PJ4Ever and Borat like this.
  8. Br4d

Dude. The Jets blow chunks. They've blown chunks for the better part of the last decade.

Any positive marketing around the current play is just blatant false advertising and like false advertising of all other types it creates predictable blowback that damages the firm more than just saying nothing.

In a product-based paradigm you do not advertise your product as doing things that it does not do and cannot do. If you are selling an air filter that filters to a certain level you put that in the specifications and you make sure everybody knows that it can do that. You *do not* claim that it can filter more particulates out of the air than it really does because people can check that kind of stuff and return it if you lie to them when you sell it. In the process of doing that they form a negative opinion of your product and your company and they tend to turn into anti-advertising - ragging on you when discussing with their friends.

With an experience-based paradigm like a sports event the consumer does not have the choice to return the event for a refund. Instead you get an anger/frustration differential that builds up over the years and eventually an angry, frustrated fan base that is tuned out to all the false advertising you have been doing over the years. They'd still be frustrated at all the losing but the anger would be way down if you hadn't been selling them the BS of the day every year. Some times it really is better to zip the lips while you are trying to put together success on the field. Among other things the pressure you put on your guys who are trying to get it done is toned down some. The price of failure is lowered also as the expectations have not been unreasonably raised by your marketing approach.

I get that to a marketer this seems insane, but that's because what you do is marketing. It's hard to see the negative effects of your profession clearly when there are clearly positive effects also.

#28 Br4d, Jan 7, 2022
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Do the Jets promise a certain record or performance when they market? Or do they vaguely highlight what they believe are the better parts of their team?

You don’t have a strong understanding of what false advertising is. If you go to a concert and the performer sucks as compared to how they used to be, are all of the ads they used leading up to the event now false advertising?

You’re just cynical of the product not matching up to a positive PR piece on whomever the Jets decide to do one on. Advertisements don’t have to match your expectation of the product.

10. Br4d

False advertising is when the product does not match the claims made about it.

This year with the Jets the claims were:

Great young QB.

Excellent defensive line with a star in the middle of it.

Hotshot rookie HC with an attitude that was going to wear off on the team: "All Gas and No Brakes!"

Great new offensive system coming over from the 49ers.

A team on the rise, certainly better than last year's edition.

What we actually got:

Frustrated young QB unable to live up to the grade AAA prospect we marketed.

Slipshod play out of the DL with the young star looking more like a young good player weighed down by the people around him.

Beleaguered rookie HC unable to live up to the expectations the marketing of his high energy personality created. Where exactly did the marketing of "All Gas and No Brakes!" originate?

Sputtering offense that only took off when the frustrated young QB was injured and the team's focus moved away from promoting him at all costs.

A team that looked very much like last year's team, headed for a distant 4th place finish in the AFC East with problems on both offense and defense that recurred during the season.

It's these kind of differentials that cause problems with a team's image and ability to project itself over time.

The regime before this had the same problem only they were mired at 5-11.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think I posted in the quoted thread but I remember getting as high as 6-7 wins. Smh.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think Brad was first in line for when the pet rock came out. Suckered by the misleading advertising and false promises, he bought 2. He's been bitter ever since.

Savatage likes this.
  13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I think me and DWC went with 17-0. does being dyslexic count?

Savatage likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"The New York Jets - not as sucky as usual for '22"

Of course there still could be "truth in advertising" problems this time next year.

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Ravens and Giants fans would argue that. I think they had the most on IR. I think the Jets had the most cap casualty players on IR.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Jets lead the league with most players places on IR this year with 62. The next closest is Cleveland with 61. The Ravens have 52 and the Giants have 49. The Jets also lead the league in cap space IR as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Where Every Win is a Pleasant Surprise!

We Cover the Spread... Sometimes!

Plenty of Room to Spread Out at MetLife!

All Comedy No Wins!

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think I said somewhere between (7-10) and (10-7). Still sounds right to me. They played pretty much how I expected. The slow start to the season and all the injuries piled up to a likely (4-13) record, but this team is headed in the right direction. Now you can move my 2021 prediction to 2022. :D

Acad23 likes this.
  19. Br4d

You were disappointed with your pet rock?

Mine are great. Only pets I have ever had aside from Rose that didn't try to bite me at some point.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Mine was way over hyped. Always tried to be the hero. I put him a slingshot and sent him deep.