Mekhi Becton injury prognosis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

It's obviously complications. It has to be. We haven't rumors he's lazy or doesn't want to play. Now, I would think the Jets medical staff has a few questions to answer. But the problem with the OL is not Becton’s frequency of injury It's Greg Van Roten getting Becton killed

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Could knee injury complications be exacerbated by being almost 400 lbs?

Also this was hardly Becton's first injury. He injured his chest last year and injured his foot and head during camp this year. Even if we throw out the knee injury entirely there's a strong argument he's injury prone.

Leicester Jet, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It could well be a sign that he's injury prone. It could also mean that the injury was originally misdiagnosed as he got a second opinion, that surgery uncovered a further problem, that there was a post op infection or that his size means that leg injuries will take longer to heal. Basically we don't know. If next year he has progressed from the very positive performance as rookie and stays largely healthy no one will care.

NCJetsfan, cval and bicketybam like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Saleh is trying to make it sound better by saying it's taking longer because he is naturally a bigger guy. I don't really see it as positive as to me it has the opposite effect. So every time he is injured, things will take longer, because he is big? Definitely not what I want to hear. Becton needs to drop back to 364 max like he was in College, or even less to have any chance to stay on the field. Right now the recent picture I saw of him on the field he looked like a 400lb behemoth.

5. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

You're stuck in 1st gear. I've had the exact injury Becton suffered and I've had it 3 times. The main variable and what prohibits someone from quickly regaining their range of motion is SWELLING. Becton could stand on that leg probably within a few days. Managing the swelling is what prevents anyone, let alone a strong athlete from regaining the strength lost. That injury is also the type of injury that could happen to anyone. It's actually a lot more common that I think the medical staff is letting on. When it happened to me, I was immediately putting weight on it and walking with a knee brace within a day. However, it swelled up so badly that I had no range of motion. It could also be that they decided to do surgery and that could be the reason why it's taking so long for him to recover. It takes so much longer because you must rehabilitate the knee regaining full range of motion, then go under the knife, than rehabilitate the knee all over again.

I seriously doubt Bectons weight has ANYTHING to do with why it's taking so long......

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

You keep saying 400lbs like it means someone is out of shape but there is a huge difference in a 6'7" 400lb athlete then a 5'8" 400lb fat slob. the mountain was 6'9" and 450lbs do you think he was fat as well? glenn ross is 6'1" and was 474 lbs and yeah he had a gut but he was far from out of shape. he was a strongman champion who set several records. their workouts are just different but i guarantee all those 400lb men spend more time working out then any of us do.

Listen I get that it sucks that he got hurt so early in the year. and it sucks his 4-8 week injury lasted the season but it is what it is.

7. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

This is one instance where “it is what it is” doesn’t apply. There is very likely a LOT more to Becton situation other than “he missed more time than we thought.” He has issues coming and going.

REVISion likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

thats up to the coaching staff. they know more then we do. speculating isn't helping anything

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

My man, Becton is literally one of the 10 heaviest players to ever play in the NFL. He is exceptionally heavy even by NFL player standards. I'm not even commenting on in shape/out of shape, just the fact that he is extremely heavy. In my mind there's almost no chance that's not having an impact on his recovery time. Any way we slice it that's a lot of weight on a pair of knees.

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I feel Becton will come back in good shape & ready to roll next year because of the play of Fant. He won't want to lose the LT job to him, which is totally possible if he looks bad in camp. I personally would start Becton at RT anyway where I feel he is best suited.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that it can be complications or a sign that he doesn't really want to be back on the field, but not that he is injury prone. How would that show that he is injury prone unless he had re-injured it while rehabbing, and even then it doesn't really show that he's injury prone. I think that's a label that fans are waaaaaaaaaaaay too quick to stick on a player.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's obviously because of Becton's weight why he didn't return this season. I can't believe that's even being debated. It's either that or its some kind of freak medical occurrence, aka.... the 1st guy ever to lose an entire season from a sprain.

Common sense would suggest the more likely scenario there.

--

A buddy of mine stayed in school like a total nerd and ended up a doctor of physical therapy. Idk how that happened, I refuse to call him 'doctor'. Anyway he told me (and his patients) that for every 10lbs of weight you lose you take off 30lbs of pressure on the knee which is key for recovery. Becton could stand to lose close to 60lbs and still be effective as an NFL left tackle. That would be a whopping 180lbs of pressure off of his knee. His knee would feel great!

abyzmul, REVISion and Borat like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But this is what fans on a fans forum do best, especially when nothing is put out there by the team/CS/Player

Leicester Jet and REVISion like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This one specific one doesn't make you injury prone. But he had two injuries in training camp and missed OTAs. He was injured a lot in first year. Now he has taken it to the next level. You have to say at this point given ALL the injuries had, he does have injury propensity. Maybe if he loses weight, comes to the camp in shape, it will be better, but it is a big if at this point.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He was not injured a lot his first year. That's false. He had one chest injury

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's what I recall also, he either missed or was injured in a game and didn't return in 5 games out of 16 last year and all 17 games this year. Injuries during training camp too this year. I mean - it's definitely a concern on top of the fact his training camp wasn't all that great even when he did play. Which could be related to frequent injuries. In College he wasn't known for his injuries and he was around 360lb. I am hoping if he gets back to 350-360, it will help, and Saleh appeared to suggest he definitely needs to get in shape.

18. GasedAndConfused

i get that but without any info were just spinning our wheels

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The more I think about this the more I am coming to feel like Moses and moreso Fant have pretty much been the co MVPs of the Jets this year. If Moses hadn't been signed this past offseason one way or another the stellar Edoga/McDermitt combination would have gotten Zach Wilson smoothly on the Darnold track to getting smashed. Having Moses around and Fant's superb fill in job enabled the Jets to more or less survive what could have been a complete disaster. Not only for this season but for the future.

GVR did enough damage. Imagine if he had help?

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think there was more than that…he missed a bunch of time last year…plus training camp time, plus an injury that supposedly would cost most players 4-8 weeks cost him 17 weeks.

I don’t know how to spin that as anything other than it’s an issue…

the guys had a bunch of smaller nagging injuries that cost him game time in his rookie year, and he lost the entire year this year. We all get that this was a freak thing that could’ve happened to any player, but from all we’ve heard, it would not be expected to cost most players the entire season.

it’s a bad damn history

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.