Tankathon - 2021 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think you're right. The Cardinals played very well against Dallas today so hopefully they keep that same energy vs SEA next week. Keeping that pick at 7-8 would be huge for us.

mrjet80 and Noam like this.
  2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if we end up picking around 4 and 8 or thereabouts (and assuming we cannot trade down as that is what everyone always wants to do!) then (at the moment) then I would be leaning towards:

#4 - Evan ONeal OL
    #8 - Ahmad Gardner CB

The WR class is very deep and there is no elite TE prospect and so would wait until the second round to look at WR/TE

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Sauce is going to be my 2022 Hopeless Crush. I can easily see him being elite, he has a lot of the same instincts and habits that Revis did but he's got a different playing style because of the rangy length he has. He finds leverage all over the field and runs in their hip pocket so he can reach the path of the ball.

Pair that dude with Hall and have MC2 and Echols rotating and even Bryce Huff could have a double digit year.

I'm starting to be like that guy that was obsessed with drafting Sean Taylor.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He came up empty in the biggest college game of his career - at least for showcasing his talent.

I read in one of these early draft write ups that he is not a fit for Saleh’s defensive scheme regardless. The write up I saw said Karlaftis was the best fit.

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I like the conviction. And unlike Stingley doesn't seem like much bust risk which I also like. Whomever the Jets take I think priority #1 to me is to just not totally fail/bust. I know in a sense thats loser talk but to me the Jets just cannot afford any more devastating setbacks with premium draft picks.

Jets79 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just curious - why do you think Stingley has a high bust risk? He's got the bloodlines and the LSU DB football factory lines, both of which bode well for less risk IMO

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Probably the injuries. He's played half as many games as the previous season in every year he's been at LSU.

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I really hope they don't go that route

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I saw that his dad was previously on the Jets practice squad.
    The injury history doesn't look very encouraging though and the Jets have been stung by injury prone cornerbacks before :(

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yes they have.

And also not to try to pass myself off as a Stingley expert (I'm not) but I have read in the past the suspicion that he's cut from the Revis cloth of being more about business and mercenary than great team-first attitude. And that some of these missed games were more about preserving future paychecks. Just enough to make me nervous.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You may be onto something here when it comes to Karlaftis.

Pressure rate is 18.1%, which is a little higher than Chase Young had.

Another interesting point is that he is more than a year younger than Hutch, only 20 years old, born in 2001. Also very often double teamed.

Who knows, we may draft this beast.

KY Jets Fan, mrjet80 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

look at his stats against the better/ranked teams in the Big 10 though

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have never seen Karlaftis play so I wouldn’t know either way. It was just one write up - one opinion. He definitely trends lower than the top two pass rushers ….

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

One year before we went 2-14, the Bengals also went 2-14. Two years later, the Bengals have won their division, and their second-year QB just threw 8 TDs and 0 INTs in his last two games for over 900 yards passing (in 2 games!!!) to boost his passer rating to second in the NFL. I'm not saying we have to pull that off next year, but my point is if you have the right guys in the building, rebuilds in the NFL don't take long at all. In other words, we may have a 2021 tankathon thread, but the 2022 Jets have ZERO excuses.

Jets79, Borat and REVISion like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, looks like so far we are following the trend here. A year after 2 win season, Bengals won 4. We are at 4 wins now, though they also had a draw. 2022 is going to be big, we just need to get this monster: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChasJa00.htm

Jameson Williams perhaps?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Indeed. For what it's worth, Zach is also following the Josh Allen rookie year trend. My point is we'd better see real improvement next year with no more excuses for anyone in the building if we have another bad season.

REVISion likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The funny thing is I remember this being the consensus opinion before this current season too.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

main difference is the Bengals are in a division where the Browns are being the Browns, the Ravens lost their QB and are on a 5 game losing streak and the Steelers are a long way from what they were (and still only lost 1 game more than the Bengals) - whereas we are in a division where we are currently the worst team and the other teams all have young QBs and are likely to improve at least as fast as we are - Burrows was a much more highly regarded prospect than Wilson and is showing why this season - so while the Bengals have had a great season they could very easily have been 3rd or 4th in their division with a couple of games swinging to the other teams.

yes you can turn things around quickly in the NFL if missing key pieces (especially at QB) but it is a lot harder when there is very little to build on

#758 JetsUK, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  19. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

All this Cincinnati Bengal love fest talk reminds me the Jets beat them this year! :p

FJF likes this.
  20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the jets are always the exception, rather than the rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.