4th and 2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The most important and gratifying element of the decision is that they went for the throat to be begin with. It's the right decision. Try to ice the game. If you don't get it, Bucs still need 7 plus a longer field.

Let's give them credit for that.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Elijah Moore-Great game zach! Thats my QB

Royal Tee, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Saleh said that Zach executed the play correctly according to the playbook by running the sneak based off the defensive look.

Saleh said the problem was the sneak was designed for a yard or less and ML should have verbally communicated that the sneak was not an option on 4th and 2. Saleh said the problem was the CS not Zach as Zach executed the play correctly.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Well said. I love the aggressiveness. Get the 1st and you take a knee. Much better than giving the ball to Brady. Love to see a CS that plays to win the game.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It is what it is. Loved the aggressiveness, sucks with executing and I did think Berrios was the read. Zach played well, rushing game was good. One more week, I feel good about Zach at least.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This just sounds like total BS.

You either make a separate play for when the sneak is not an option and maintain that in the playbook or you make damn sure your QB knows that the option is not in play when you call it.

Everybody who saw that play run knew almost instantly that something was wrong because you do not sneak on 4th and 2 like that.

How the hell did the QB not know that the sneak was not an option on 4th and 2? He's been playing organized football since he was about 12 years old, probably earlier than that. He couldn't look at the down and distance and know the sneak was not an option?

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think if it was a meaningful game, they would have gone for the FG. As it was, with nothing really riding on the game result, why not go for it on 4th and 2 near the goal line. From the Jets perspective nothing good would come from going to OT. Go for the win, get the young team some live experience in that situation.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Giving Wilson the option to fucking QB sneak it on 4th and 2 against Vita & Suh is atrocious and 100% on the coaching staff. I don’t care if he kept the check to go with it.

Not to mention you kick that field goal all day every day anyways. This coaching staff is quite inept at times but I don’t really buy that they even gave him the option to do that. Sounds like a bad play by a young player.

westiedog1, KY Jets Fan and cval like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Let's be honest . There is no way the defense should give up a TD there. Especially the way the drive played out
    Stop them, keep them inbounds then give up huge plays down field without a defender in site?

If you want to tank a game without anyone questioning this is how you do it.

Noam and FJF like this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Did anyone actually listen to Saleh? He pretty clearly laid out what happened on the play and certainly did not blame his rookie qb. He very clearly blamed Lafleur for not communicating that the option was not an option.

WhiteShoeWillis, KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Zach on the tank

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  13. impure

impure Well-Known Member

This is it, he wants a higher draft pick for better OLine or WRs

ColoradoContrails, cval and FJF like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. It’s just not smart football to give up the opportunity to take a full touchdown lead with 2 minutes left.

I’m more OK with it than I normally would be because we have nothing to less in our sixth consecutive losing season against the defending SB champs & Brady but you still kick that FG IMO.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Zach was thinking: if we don't make it, then I could get a better O-line next year.

REVISion, cval, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah well I didn’t think that was Zachs idea….the Jets should of won this game.

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I wondering how this could be pinned on Zach. Awesome job, fellas!

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just want to make sure it comes clear. Zach just said it: this play was an Option, run though reads, then if QB sneak is there, take it, if not hand it off to Barrios. Basically option 1 is sneak, if option 1 is not there, option 2 is to hand it off. The call was NOT to hand it off to Berrios, and then Zach changed to to sneak. The option 1 WAS the sneak. Zach thought he could get it based on the split second he had to asses, so he ran it. He didn't get it. Saleh then said he actually wanted Zach to hand off to Berrios, which is DIFFERENT from the play call that was made by Mike. That's why Saleh took responsibility for this, said he has to do better and Zach executed as deigned.

Yes, it was a rookie mistake - the one on the rookie coach. This wasn't even 1 yard like Saleh was saying, it was solid 2 yards. With Fant out, sneak should not have been the first option. Saleh and Mike made a mistake, and paid for it.

westiedog1, KY Jets Fan, FJF and 4 others like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So who was it that was saying Zach can't take the heat, he ducks responsibility. yadayadayada? This was another example of Zack accepting responsibility and taking the heat. He was given the opportunity to shuck it off by Saleh who also took responsibility (and rightfully so IMO), and could've just went with that, but after being asked at least 3 times about the play, he took the blame for it. And he didn't "blow off" the reporters either.

As I posted in the other thread, I had suspected that it was Zack's decision to go for the sneak, and I think he'll learn from this. But the CS should NEVER had sent in an option play. In that situation you need total understanding by everyone about what the play is, and an option just creates confusion. It was a learning moment for everyone.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree with the first statement, not the second one. I want the Jets to learn how to WIN, and going for it in that situation gave them experience in trying to win. If they didn't fuck up that 4th and 2 - regardless who was at fault - they win the game. In any case they did learn something from it.

KY Jets Fan and HomeoftheJets like this.