is 2022 an Open QB competition?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Dec 26, 2021.

?

If we acquire another QB or the ones on the roster are balling Would an open QB comp be accepted?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2022.
  1. ZACH IS THE F&*^% STARTER NO MATTER WHAT!!

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Open QB where best man gets the job

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Bench him and make him learn it & earn it.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Colts should’ve brought in Testeverde and given Peyton some competition.

cval, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What extra time does it take? It happens every day of training camp at every position. That's how they decide who gets a job and who goes home. Why should the QB spot be any different? You get the best chance to win by putting the best players on the field.

I would expect White to be there and, I would hope, so would a seasoned veteran as there should have been this past summer. There will also be a spacekeeper or two but they all get a chance to be seen fairly or they shouldn't be there.

3. KingRoach

Start a “trade for Jimmy G thread”.
    Please make it nonsensical and delusional

4. KingRoach

I’m so bored I couldn’t help it.

bicketybam likes this.
  5. Ralebird

The participation trophy group has spoken.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Depends. If he did it in 2021, yes. If he did it in 1998, no.

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They should have an open competition for all the coaching & front office jobs.

Hell... there's a guy on this board who thinks he's smarter about football than Robert Saleh.

Polish up those resumes!

cval, ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Only one guy?

REVISion, Brook! and Ralebird like this.
  9. Ralebird

Strange thing is when you drop out of high school because you think you know everything already, the learning you miss can have a detrimental effect on your thought process decades later to where you don't understand even the easy things. One guy here thinks there's no competition for coaching and front office jobs. At least I hope it's only one guy.

Stay in school kids!

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Somebody needs some new material... :p

cval and bicketybam like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's not about QB competition. Zach Wilson will be the 2022 starting QB. It is about insurance though. The Jets need a much better back-up QB behind Wilson. One where if he is having a bad game, he can step in and play well. One where if Zach gets injured again and misses a few weeks, he can step in and keep the offense rolling. Worst case scenario, God forbid, you need a guy who can take over if Wilson is struggling to the point he is holding the team back and needs to be benched. I don't trust that with Mike White, but maybe the Jets do.

I personally think Wilson will be better than ever in 2022, but he needs a better back-up. If there was a QB competition, Zach would win it.

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Can we lock this thread? Wilson’s done enough to warrant an automatic start next year. This isn’t even near the list of important issues that will be need to be addressed this off-season.

At least rebrand this as “Do we think we need a a competent backup in case Wilson goes down?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and truthbtold like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

No we shouldn't lock it because after two weeks of the Bucs and Bills, people's opinions may change drastically.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

What do you honestly expect? Unless he throws 5 interceptions each game then I don’t think it changes much. Both teams are light years ahead of the Jets talent-wise so there’s not much expectations for me.

Wilson at least for this year looks better than Lawrence, Fields, and Lance. Hell, even Mac Jones has started looking like a rookie recently. I am not saying he IS better than all those players but there’s a lot to like this year compared to what his peers have put up. Not to mention we have the worst supporting cast around him outside of the Jaguars probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a complete misunderstanding of Peyton's rookie year.

The guy set a rookie record for TD's thrown also and the Colts moved up to the 6th most yards passing in the NFL in the process. Peyton threw more passes than any other rookie QB in history and broke the record for rookie passing yards that Jim Kelly set in 1986. Kelly was a rookie only in the purest sense of the term, having played two years in the USFL before entering the NFL.

Zach Wilson might be 1/10th the QB that Peyton was, but I doubt it.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not to mention the game was different in too many ways to list. No illegal contact, lax pass interference and roughing the passer calls, rookie contracts were structured in a much different way on top of the fact that Peyton was probably the best quarterback prospect of all time with nearly two more full seasons worth of college passing attempts than Wilson.

Peyton should nearly never be compared to any prospect again. Andrew Luck and him and that’s about it in the same class.

Br4d likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

The standard I'm holding him to is to be able to move the ball without throwing multiple interceptions each game. If he can pull it off, I'll be satisfied, but I'm not convinced he can.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well he stopped turning the ball over a ton and we are definitely moving the ball at a decent enough clip. But it does feel a bit like 2019 with Darnold (granted second year) where the team is playing better in spite of the quarterback.

It’s tough to weigh what has really happened with Wilson though. He’s more careful with the ball, but he was billed as a guy who was going to wing the ball downfield left and right off play action. This does tend to happen to a decent amount of cold weather quarterbacks into November/December so it’s not necessarily a bad thing to lean on the running game.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We'd all feel better if Zack was a 6'-5" pocket passer gunning for 300 yards per game, ala Joe Burrow. But he's not. He's a 6'-1" (maybe) petite QB who's forced to scramble too much. He can't see over lineman and is forces to see around and between lineman. Zack is in the mold of Mayfield and all that 'college stuff' scrambling and throwing off platform is always going to be a big part of his game. That makes it real hard for LeFleur to design plays and game plan, since most of Zack success happens when the play breaks down. No one can 'plan' for that. But it's hard for Defneses to game plan too, so there's hope.

Getting thrown into the fire to experience the speed of the NFL first hand was probably the best thing for Zack's future development. And LeFleur will have a much better grasp on what HE needs to do to help make Zack successful in 2022 and beyond. That goes to JD as well...knowing what he has under center will aid in his drafting certain payers going forward.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He is actually almost 6'3

ColoradoContrails likes this.