Damien Woody on Becton..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 31, 2021.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a female reporter when I read that name, which is why I edited my post.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To be fair, doubling our win total doesn't mean much when you improve from the 31st pick to the 29th.

Against the league the real measure of our improvement is our draft position. Were now better than 3 other teams.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah well. You’re going to be awfully giddy when we progress to six wins next year.

ouchy likes this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We can agree to disagree. Only 3 teams had a worse year but I wouldn’t trade places with the Raiders rn

FJF likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't think I would use a first on an OT. I have faith that at the very least Becton will be a solid RT across from Fant at LT.

Having said that, I would have no problem using a second to make sure the team is covered at OT in case he does get hurt again.

KingRoach and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean it’s possible that the report is wrong, but it’s not far fetched.

You tend to take the approach that every negative report about the Jets is wrong because you want it to be wrong.

7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

The former player I'm referencing was a journeyman in his day and is well connected, Also played Oline from what my buddy tells. So here's a few things that he mentioned, but again I'm hearing this from my friend and not the "source" direct so take with GOS.

1. The chatter about the size being an issue, like it has been for Trent Brown was a topic of discussion. But also, during draft time, there were concerns about his lack of experience in purse pass pro because of the scheme Louisville runs. The second thing hasn't been an issue, but the first has.

2. He also tells my friend that the Jets, for the LONGEST time, have been bottom of the barrel when it comes to player development and training. Everything from facilities to regimen to accountability is the worst he's been around as a former player. So for more "raw" players, this can be a nightmare marriage, vs. a team like the Ravens. Steelers, Patriots where they have almost created a talent incubator. I think that's why Douglas and Saleh attempted at adding all the player development stuff when they came in.

That 2020 draft was not a good fit if what this guy is saying is true--almost the entire first part of that draft were raw, trait based prospects that needed extra development (Becton, Davis, Mims, Zuniga)

Ironically, Bryce Hall has been the best and he was probably the most polished coming out....just dropped due to injury.

So, while I hope our player development improves, I think Douglas needs to draft safe players and stop trying to hit homeruns. Get guys that have played a lot of ball for big programs and can play roles.

Evan Neal, Jameson Williams, Sauce Gardner, Kyle Hamilton Linderbaum, Kenyon Green, Jeremaine Johnson all examples of guys that are going to come with batteries included.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

My favourite time of the year, pre-draft you can get all excited and then after training camp you can hope for two wins and a high draft pick again, hopefully, at some point all the good draft picks will tally up into a winning franchise.

Sigh

Brook! and ouchy like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

You’ve said this a couple times about the Raiders, yet they’re half a game out of a playoff berth with two games to go and we haven’t been in playoff contention in a decade except for 2015.

The statement could’ve been true if the team folded after both the Ruggs and Gruden debacle but it didn’t. Now they get a fresh coach, maybe a fresh GM and have some solid pieces in place along with a QB that will always keep them in games.

They’re also a potential destination for either Russell Wilson or Rodgers considering either of those guys would likely have input on the coach.

10. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

We can't count on Becton right now. If he turns into the player we want him to be, we have an abundance of riches at the position and can trade.

If he busts, there's a freeway on route to the QB next year.

Also, think of it this way. If we grab Neal and another guard in the draft. We can afford to part ways with Moses and Van Roten. We would save massive cap space and add more youth.

We have more money for weapons.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Both Moses and Van Roton are only making 3.5 million. A first round rookie would make about that much. I agree though that we will need more o-line in the top rounds.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's what GM's get paid for. If you're not able to correctly assess the personalities and work ethic of guys you draft then you're not doing your job well as a GM.

I mean Mekhi clearly had weight issues even before he was drafted. Did Douglas just think those would miraculously disappear? He also failed a drug test at the combine, more evidence of his lack of discipline. Douglas screwed up hugely by ignoring those blatant red flags. Beating a dead horse here but it's especially damning since the alternative was Tristan Wirfs who never gets hurt, is in elite physical conditioning (Iowa weight lifting record holder) and has been an absolute stud tackle.

Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. REVISion

It's clear to non-homers that Becton is a problem at this point. If Douglas ignores that fact because he doesn't want to admit defeat on his first pick as GM then he's actively harming the team.

They need to speak with Becton about moving to RT and if he has a problem with it it's time to trade him for whatever they can.

Cman68 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  14. REVISion

How many red flags do we need for Becton before we accept that it's reality? This is hardly the first example of there being trouble with him. The writing is on the wall at this point.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that doesn’t change that I put little stock in that account. The dude misses a lot. He was right about Mac and that’s it. Everything he does is designed as clickbait. There’s a lot of manish to his content and wording.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. REVISion

But the bulk of the other evidence we have on Mekhi indicates that this report is most likely true...

This isn't some guy randomly coming out and saying Wilson has a bad work ethic or something. This is a guy saying something that's also implied by many other reports and examples.

Mekhi was actively feuding with LaFleur earlier in the season and Saleh's comments indicate he was out of shape. Why shouldn't we believe this report of there being a rift?

Borat likes this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Oh, thank God. At first I thought it was Woody Johnson.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Uh, what offense . . . ?

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Not just you lol

jetophile, HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why is Mekhi's dad on the field?

[​IMG]

REVISion likes this.