Well hi there, Windows 11

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Dec 20, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

SLW

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Under settings, there's a way to get the start button back in the bottom left corner. It makes life a lot better that way.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not sure how things will wind up but my PC is 2x faster since I got the upgrade to 11.

Part of that is clearly things that were removed, since Microsoft for the first time told us it was removing things in an "upgrade".

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas you handsome devil

abyzmul likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Has champ posted since the pandemic started?

6. abyzmul

I haven't seen him post in a while. If he doesn't come back, I will assume his duties.

That's the joke, isn't it? We all end up being champ in the end.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Gawd... I hope not.

But they say all jokes are based in truth...

8. Br4d

Champ's best stuff was all before the board crash.

I definitely take a pp btg

#28 Br4d, Dec 24, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  9. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

I have a three and half year old laptop that came with Windows 8 and after it updated itself to Windows 10 it no longer works. It takes minutes for a page to load. I bought another laptop three years ago that came with the Endless OS. It doesn't need antivirus as you can download apps ,files and programs only directly from Endless. I can only download PDF files like tax forms. I was able to download pictures and videos from an iPhone. I think if you want to download something from a web site you can download it first on a USB stick and then download it from there through a USB port.

The Endless OS can be downloaded for free and installed on a Windows computer. It comes with the Libre Office with is compatible with Microsoft Office and it also had a PDF reader so you don't need to download Acrobat Reader which when I was using it four years ago had constant updates just about every week.

Three times we got a pop up window on our Windows 8 laptop that said that our computer had been infected with a virus and to call a 800 number to get it removed. The pop up window locked up the laptop and couldn't do anything else. We had been using the Mcafee and Kaspersky antivirus which we also kept on auto update. Don't know which one we had at the time we got the pop up that locked our laptop.

The pop up window went away only after we shut down and rebooted. I think they were not able to install the virus because we were using a non-administrator account to go online.

10. Br4d

For the virus pop-ups: ctrl-alt-del, select task manager, highlight the browser you are using in running apps, end task.

In general: use Mozilla Firefox downloaded from the Mozilla.org web site. It is by far the safest browser in terms of protecting privacy and preventing this type of pop situation from occurring. Not perfect but much better than chrome, edge, etc.

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

God this sounds like my first help desk job to a T. 70 year olds would call with this very issue dozens of times a day.

#31 JackBower, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    abyzmul likes this.
  12. Br4d

You are such a lucky skunk!

When I started on the help desk we got calls from users who followed our instructions to a T with nothing working.

Then when we sent techs up to their office we'd find out that they had somehow severed the power cable while kicking around under their desk and not had the good graces to electrocute themselves in the process.

Of course that was back in the olden days before EDP took over our lives.

Not to shift the rant in this thread but how long until society admits that the progress we have made in the information sharing age has actually been a huge regression instead?

13. abyzmul

Depends on what nature of regression you mean. From an anthropological standpoint I think we've done a fine job of creating a hive. That's evolution.

14. Br4d

I believe that we have instead created competing hives that are in vigorous combat all the time.

This is true both in culture and between competing cultures.

It's probably going to take decades to figure out what the damaging effects of the democratization of information culture actually are. However it's pretty clear that the blowback on culture has been severe.

As an example: your annoying uncle Fred who believes that the Fed is actually a KGB-run operation designed to deep-six the American financial system used to be able to really annoy your family at holidays.

Now he can have 500k followers drawn from the pool of nutjobs who might agree with him and *each* of them can pigeonhole relatives at family gatherings with all the latest nutjob theories that ol' uncle Fred wants to put out there.

In fact, it's quite possible that the FSB *is* financing that type of mischief to get the hives buzzing louder.

Uncle Fred in 1970: Nutjob bothering his family.

Uncle Fred in 2020: FSB-financed nutjob devoted to protecting American society by taking it down one conspiracy at a time.