Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

And he'll be 12-37 when it's all said and done with.

And the majority of those wins came in a season that he didn't really have anything to do with.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I can't tell if the trade for Adams was a great move on our part or a really bad one from the Seahawks - but other than that it is hard to point to a single positive from JD's time in charge of the Jets or any way in which the team has materially improved

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Douglas is better than Idzik and Mac, then why is the team still so bad? Idzik and Mac inherited bad teams too, so Douglas doesn't have that excuse.

James Hasty, SOJAZ and wewantsapp like this.
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

He's definitely better then those two. The level of suck the team was in after those two was way worse than the level of suck before they arrived.

JD isn't out of the woods, but the reason the jets are where they are now is absolutely linked to the epic failures of the previous two GMs

5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It's the second one.

6. HomeoftheJets

This team is also worse than the one Douglas inherited.

7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Mmmm I don't agree with that. If you are solely looking at this year in a vacuum then ya I guess so.

8. HomeoftheJets

What do you mean by this year in a vacuum? All there is is this year. Unless you're also including last year. But that one was even worse. I guess you could say you expect the future will be better, but I remember hearing that one throughout Mac's tenure until even the last holdouts gave up on him.

9. Jetsin2029

Jetsin2029 Member

Idzik, Mac, Douglas…the beat goes on…

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One way to decide if JD is a good GM is to sit back and imagine for a minute he was fired by the Johnson Twins. If that happens I believe there'd be a feeding frenzy of teams trying to sign him (unlike Gase).

So ya, I think he's an above avg GM who's only just getting started. There are two phases I want to see him function in: 1) we have a 'normal' draft picks like everyone else, no extra picks. How will he do navigating the draft and getting us stud players when there's no room for error?

2) right now he's lucky in that he has no players on huge 2nd contract (a few FA I get, but I'm talking about our own guys). How will JD manage the cap after backing up the Brinks truck for Quinnen, Becton, and Zack? That's when a GM earns his big bucks. Limited cap space and limited draft picks. Seattle couldn't handle it and they imploded the second they had to start paying their players.

So give JD his 6 yr contract.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Joe Douglas spends his days cutting players loose before the life of their contracts end. He deserves to live out the life of his with impunity?

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

hmm..sad part to me is that I’m not sure Q, Becton or Zach will be worth the Brinks truck

Q so far has been a pretty good DT…above average maybe…but by no means a dominant player yet. Without help on the DL, he hasn’t been a wrecking ball yet…not like an Aaron Donald

Becton? Please…dude can’t stay on the field,,,miscellaneous injuries last year, and this year he’s missing the entire year on an injury that was supposed to be half a season…he needs to get in shape and show he can stay on the field before talking about a huge deal

and Zach has shown nothing so far to believe he can be the franchise…he’s got a ways to go

13. HomeoftheJets

That feeling when you realize Q is the only one of the three Douglas didn't draft.

Acad23, NYJFOREVER and abyzmul like this.
  14. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Jets fans: After ten games it’s clear Zach Wilson is a bust, get him out of here.

Also Jets fans: Yeah three years in I’m still not sure about Joe Douglas. Meh, let’s allow him to see out his six year contract

I’m just wondering what else Douglas has to do in order to convince anyone he is not the right man for this job?

#114 Metstrife, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

A GM is not going to get everything right, Bryce Hall, Becton still has a chance to turn it around, as much as I get on Becton the injury was not his fault, when some one rolls on your leg it’s not something you had control over.

AVT, Carter 1 and 2, Echols, Fant was a good signing, Elijah Moore. They are definitely foundation pieces for a football team.

If JD nails this upcoming draft and gets playmakers for both sides of the ball and this CS goes 2-15 are you still going to say JD is the problem?

I’m going on record and saying JD can draft the 4 most talented players in the draft with our top 4 pocks and this CS will not yield results, they suck, Saleh, Ulbrich, and Lafleur need to be sent packing.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Should Joe Douglas be trusted to decide to give $25 mill per year to Quinnen Williams? How about trusting him to make another 2 top 10 draft picks?

There is the credibility factor for major franchise altering decisions like these. Douglas IMO does not have any credibility with us the fans for his decision making. There is no reason to believe he is going to hit on those 2 top picks. There is more reason to believe he's going to make the wrong decision with Quinnen Williams than the right one. He's gonna let Marcus Maye walk.... and that's a tough decision.. and yet Douglas thinks Ashtyn Davis is a good replacement. I don't trust any of the moves he makes

HomeoftheJets and abyzmul like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

One more thing - seemingly every year the pundits declare the Jets draft "a win" in the days following the draft. Now more than ever we can tell that's completely bogus. I have to wonder if Douglas or even Johnson is influencing these narratives.

They have to sell tickets, when you finish dead last year after year there's no better way to sell the product than getting its consumers to believe the 22 year old college draft pick is going to change everything

Ralebird, abyzmul and Cman68 like this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Teams don't ever get 3 legit starters from the draft. Most teams end up with 1 legit starter + some late round picks who plays specials. We got at least 3 (not including the QB) who are going to be impact players on the offensive side of the ball.

Are we really sitting here crying about JD? Yeah, the 2020 draft looks awful, but it was his first draft + all the COVID issues, I will give him the benefit of the doubt because the 2021 class looks very good (with the QB pending ofc).

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If Elijah Moore were on the Packers he would have a 1000 yard receiving season, if Rb Carter were on the Steelers he would have a 1000 yard rushing season, both as rookies.

AVT is going to be a 10 year pro bowl guard, for the Jets, the CS is horrific and making quality picks look like trash.

JDs biggest mistake was hiring Saleh and that will be his downfall unless he requires Saleh to make changes to his CS in the off season.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The draft is an advertising tool for teams that prioritize profit over winning.

BrowningNagle likes this.