Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Unverified? You saw the Eagles game right? Our safety followed him the whole game, down to the point where he lined up on whatever side of the field Smith lined up on. He is the only wide receiving threat the Eagles have? Why would you think its strange that teams would try to take him away?

Besides, this topic is about JD. I said Moore was the best pick JD has ever made, and everyone blew up because I added that it was also a luxury. If others believe it was wise to go WR with pick 34 then we can agree to disagree cause I have nothing else to say about it. And its only one contestable point in a long list of bad JD team building blunders.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The Jets defense blows and you're telling me that our safety play shut down Smith to the tune of 2 catches for 15 yards while the Eagles hung 33 on us?

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen a team struggle to complete passes against our safeties since Maye went down. But ok.

Who should we have taken at 34? Again, after you advocated taking a receiver at 2….

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Smith was used to clear out the Saftey so the TE could ream us a new one and to take the safety out of run defense. It happened, its not made up.

#84 ouchy, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your smarter than this. Hall covered Smith with the safety bracketing him over the top. It wasn't "covered by our safety" - it was taking two defenders out of the play.

You know I only advocated taking Smith when he was projected to go top 5, and even then I said I preferred to trade down and still try to get him. Once he fell in the rankings and we signed Davis I was all in on the trade down. But some want t keep citing an early draft season view as my final view. Whatever. Smith will still show to be the best WR taken this draft in time.

I've played the "who would you take at 34" several times in the last few weeks. Didn't you read them?

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I didn’t, no. But the whole tenor of your argument to want to take a receiver in the top 8 let’s say, but not at 34 because it was a luxury at that point, is quite silly. You’re better than that.

This team has had one receiver on the roster since 2015 that has ever had a thousand yard year, on the Jets or another team, and there Robbie Anderson last year when he went to Carolina. Outside of that, the receiver position has been an absolute black hole for the New York Football Jets for a long time.

It was the right pick. I think we need to draft another one. Do you?

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What your really saying is we haven't had a true #1 in 5 years.

I think if we would have traded down and drafted Smith there wouldn't be a need to draft another one. We;d have a true #1 and the entire offense would benefit. Not saying getting another after that wouldn't help but we have so many other holes to fill. Not just that - we lack depth at most positions. We just need a way better roster all around.

Or, with a trade down we could have gotten Smith and Moore last draft and have our version of Harrison/Wayne - while still having several other premium picks last year and this year.

Yes we still need a true #1.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

You’re planting the victory flag of Smith being some sort of all world receiver quite early. Pump the breaks. He has two games over 100 yards receiving and 4 games under 25 yards receiving.

Not to mention you keep using the “true #1” terminology that is the most vague and subjective phrase in the world.

abyzmul likes this.
  9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

WR was not close to the biggest need on this team going into the draft - it is hard to say how good Davis could be given to date he has played with Marcus Mariota for most of his career (who is pretty terrible) and the first full season he had with a half way decent QB he was a whisper off 1000 yards - there was every reason to think he could be a leading receiver - he is now playing with a QB that is worse than anyone he has played with before and he is on the Jets which guarantees a season ending injury so it is impossible to tell how that story is going to play out - but when the draft rolled around we should have felt fairly decent about our WR room relative to lots of other areas of need - especially our defensive backs

10. bicketybam

Let me know what other #1 receivers are used to clear out safeties :D

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

it still feels like they overpaid for him - certainly it doesn't feel like a move that should have got a lot of praise (especially given there was a fair chance he would have still been there to pick at #12)

ouchy likes this.
  12. bicketybam

You made like 3 threads stating the Jets had only one choice at #2 and that was all world, the next Jerry Rice/Randy Moss, Devonta Smith.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I've seen 0 evidence personally that moore won't be the WR1 going forward. teams already have started to shift coverage his way. he's been top 5 in the NFL over the past 6 weeks in yards and TDs. davis moore and crowder are a really good top 3, probably the best the jets have had in many years.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I'm a Darksider by nature and you make me look absolutely sunny.

15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: "needing" a receiver, as in "we already have 5 receivers" - sure, we didn't "NEED" a receiver. But "needing" a receiver, as in a playmaker, an explosive guy who takes up the other team's attention - we ABSOLUTELY NEEDED that. You don't go anywhere in this league without top playmakers, and settling on a crew of misfits that range from #4 to possibly #2 receivers wasn't the way to go, and should never be.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets could have come out of the 2021 draft with 8 to 10 quality picks and another 5 guys in the later rounds.

It's pretty clear that the roster could easily have absorbed all of those guys without approaching the league average of talent.

Here's the thing: they could have done that in 2022 also and we'd have been swimming in talent.

If Joe Douglas was who we thought he was coming in the door that's the path he would have taken.

More and more I get the feeling that Zach Wilson may have been a hidden mandate from the owners. There are connections between the Johnsons, the Jets and Jet Blue. My guess would be that the Johnsons had met Zach Wilson and the Wilson family before he got on the Jets radar, likely before Zach was at BYU.

This would explain both the pick and the lack of a veteran QB on the roster to hold Zach back until he was ready.

It's possible that this is not the case but it just feels right given what we know about the Jets of the last 20 years.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

[​IMG]

Br4d likes this.
  18. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I'm hoping next year , they make him earn it. Nobody who's a fan cares as long as we are winning, then we have to live with the shame of wasting a#2pick on yet another bad QB. But that still has yet to be determined on Zach.

19. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Douglas has been better than McCagnan and Idzik. Certainly not high standards league-wide, but that's the Jets. He's certainly got a knack for trading away players for picks. Pretty sure that's undeniable.

Douglas' talent evaluation seems to be okay through the draft process. But something doesn't happen organizationally where the college talent translates to the NFL. Sure, all teams have this problem, but it's particularly bad for the Jets. Like buying a Model S Plaid and getting a Renault Zoe. And it's been this bad, if not worse, for decades. Whether it's something that's wrong with Douglas himself, the coaching staff, the culture, I don't know, but that's definitely on Douglas, and he's got to fix that for this team to have sustainable success.

Are there clear upgrades from Douglas out there? Who would/should helm the perpetual rebuild? Should the Jets reverse Ted Lasso this ship and hire Brad Sims and Ronnie Deila?

Br4d likes this.
  20. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

12-34 now o_O