Robert Saleh comments on Wilson’s struggles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WalterMichaels, Dec 2, 2021.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I honestly thought this was one of his best games of the year which, admittedly, isn’t saying much.

I thought he looked more confident and more in control of the offense today.

2. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

His poor throws are missing guys that are wide open though. (2 to Moore and 1 with Crowder). For a quick comparison, Minshew didn’t miss a single wide open throw all game that I can remember.

Jonathan_Vilma, Jets79 and Centiment like this.
  3. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Feels like were grateful if he isn't horrendous, he was still throwing at peoples feet, he just isn't accurate at all.

Jets79 and jets_fan like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Baby steps. Just not looking horrendous was a sign of progress. When he gets that down we can start on the looking for signs of sustained good play.

Centiment likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I would rather he was throwing at their feet than over their heads like when he threw 4 picks against New England. That's one small thing fixed but I'm definitely not happy with the progress. He was perfectly accurate in the preseason against scrubs where he had a minute to throw, now he doesn't and he's got the yips.

Mark Sanchez wasn't all that good but he showed he was capable of some pretty sick throws when he had the protection and a handful of capable receivers. Then the floor fell out, he got the yips and did the standard backup tour before becoming a broadcaster.

I think it's purely psychological with this guy but I don't trust the Jets to guide him through it. They've already made too many bonehead rookie mistakes to have earned that trust.

He doesn't necessarily need to be the next Mahomes to be a high performer in this offense. That won't happen if his brain turns to white noise every time the ball is snapped.

Brook!, IIMeanDeanII and Br4d like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Great arm does not mean he can make the easy throws.

Vinny had a cannon and he couldn't reliably make the easy throws until the Jets surrounded him with the best possession receivers in the NFL. Guys with natural stickum to handle his fast balls.

It would not be a bad idea for the Jets to re-evaluate Wilson in the context of their offense. If he recovers some of his value down the stretch but doesn't look like a natural in their offense they probably can find somebody else who is willing to pay for his arm.

Vinny moved several times before finding a fit for a season in Baltimore. Then he moved to the Jets and found his real fit with all the tough receivers we had.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He didnt really make too many difficult throws either. He just did. Screens. A real NFL defense would eat him alive.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I agree but I'm a dying breed. Apparently we didn't prepare for Minshew which is the stupidest take I've seen here yet. And that's saying something.

zace likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

The defense got the offense out of rhythm allowing long drives. This is a real thing that happens. He wasnt that bad. Ive seen Mac Jones have games exactly like this, but get praised for it. Only because they won. This loss is on the defense plain and simple.

LAJet, cval, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He really wasn't that good. Outside of that first TD throw, he didnt really push the ball at all. Just poor safety play lead to what you saw a lot of. Guys not even in the vicinity of open recievers

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Agreed on that but he was accurate on every easy throw. Something Zach struggles with at times. If Zach could clean that up, it would help his numbers tremendously

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He wasnt as bad today. Some drops, maybe a handful of poor throws, but we dont have any real nfl recievers on this team outside of crowder and moore. They struggle to seperate.

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Yes. That was the difference today....

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Very happy with Wilson today. He showed great improvement and looks more comfortable than he did last week.

Defense will be addressed next offseason. Just continue to improve on offense and let Zach develop the relationship with Moore

15. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Stuff like this always cuts me up, as you obviously believe us 50 year fans are morons. You think we expected a championship this year and this kid to be Unitas out of the gate. Um, no. We wanted competitiveness and we wanted the kid to show flashes of what he might become. Here’s what we got - a team that’s out of games by the second quarter. As for the QB the nobody Mike White showed more in one game than this kid has shown in 7 combined. Have a game like white had. Shit, have a half like White had against Cincy. But I guess that’s expecting too much apparently. Spare me the patience speech. Done with that

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

What about this makes sense? If cincy plays any better defense, they win. They got blown out by other teams so lets not crown White anything. He was in the league 5 years and no team thought much of him, one game doesnt change that.

Wilson has shown he has talent, but too many like you nitpick on things. Like no starting qb makes bad throws. Jesus i saw Brady make a terrible read and throw that turned into a pick 6.....on a check down.

Cmon dude, youre expecting a rookie qb to carry this terrible roster? We're playing 4th and 5th stringers in key positions and only 2 WRs on our roster even look like starters. We havent had a strong and consistent running game either.

Wilson looks like a rookie. Just like Fields, Lawrence, and Jones all have. Jones just happens to have a better roster around him and it helps.

LAJet, FJF, KY Jets Fan and 1 other person like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Definitely agree. Pretty sure we had one possession in the third quarter. Stuff like that totally throws the offense out of rhythm.

Now, the offense shares a bit of blame for that too because they went 3 and out on that possession but it’s really hard to win a game when the opposing team doesn’t punt until there are less than 2 mins left in the game.

This team needs playmakers in the worst way. The draft has to be focused around EDGE, WR, CB, & S IMO. Find the other pieces in FA.

Jets79, FJF, Mogriffjr and 1 other person like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wilson had more throwing TDs in the first half today than Trevor Lawrence has had in the last six games total. Same amount of rush TDs in the last two games as Lawrence has had the entire season.

Wilson’s last 5 games:
    60% completion, 911 yards, 6 total TD, 4 total TO

Lawrence’s last 5 games:
    55% completion, 811 yards, 1 total TD, 1 total TO

Thank god for Lawrence’s sake he plays for a team no one gives a shit about that doesn’t have cynical fans.

#138 BroadwayAaron, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    bicketybam likes this.
  19. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

No one is crowning White anything. He’s in the dustbin of Jet history. The point is this “franchise QB” hasn’t come close to what this non entity did with the same roster. I don’t know what games you’re watching, but this kid hasn’t shown shit. My eyes are going, but they’re not that far gone. He can’t hit an open receiver. Will he get better? Damn I hope so I really do. But he better show something soon. And do me a favor brother, drop the “he’s not that bad cause others are worse” excuse. That one is used up

abyzmul and Ralebird like this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well…I’ve been waiting for a good complete game by Zach. At halftime, I was starting to feel it…he looked pretty sharp. Still off target too often but he showed more decisiveness and control.

and then the 2nd half happened

I’d love to see a clean game with no picks. Please.

still…this game gave me some hope for him…I’m tired of the excuses and I want to see progress…which has been pretty non existent to date. Today was a glimmer of hope.

I’m pissed about the loss but I knew it was coming…it’s unbelievable to me that we have NEVER beaten the Eagles. 0-12 lifetime. Disgusting.

and another losing season…another season where I’m hoping for losses to improve our draft position. Another waste of a year.

but if Zach can at least build on this game and start showing some improvement then at least we’ll have defense is flat out disgusting.

CotcheryFan likes this.