Happy Thanksgiving and things are looking up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 25, 2021.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

First of all Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families. May you all suffer from Tryptophan comas before the day is out....

I know everyone (including myself) is suffering through what has amounted to another lost season. Actually, it would probably be correctly described if I said it was lost by the second NE game? Just like you, I know how bad it is. I know how unacceptable this is. I know that the Jets have stolen the Cleveland Browns place in embarrassment.

However, I can honestly say I see a bright future for this team. Truly I do. I look at Joe Douglas and I see a GM with a plan. I see a GM that actually knows what he's doing when it comes to drafting?! Crazy as it may sound JD has now DRAFTED, not utilized free agency to obtain, EIGHT starters over the last two drafts.

Now we can debate just how good those starters are. Everyone most certainly has an opinion on that. But the fact still remains this team has 8 more starters than they did before JD's first draft.

By any metric you would like to look at, the sign of a good GM is a GM who yields 3 starters in every draft. That's something the Jets haven't had in I don't know how long? In 2006, Mike Tannenbaum yielded 3 starters and a few truly great role players as well. In 2007, Tanny drafted two truly excellent players that became the basis for our playoff seasons of 2009 and 2010. However, Tanny was never able to yield 3 starters consistently. In fact, from 2008 his drafts were straight up garbage. Idzik? Macagnan? Do I really even need to go there? Those guys had no idea whatsoever what they were doing from one moment to the next.

Mekhi Becton, Denzel Mims, Bryce Hall, Braden Mann, Zach Wilson, Allijah Vera-Tucker, Ellijah Moore, Mike Carter are all starters. Now I understand, Mims rarely starts but I do firmly believe he has starter quality play. I could include Ashtyn Davis but his playing record is really very spotty and sporadic objectively speaking. Most of those players have spent their share of time being injured.

Just the same, that's 8 starters when the Jets are accustomed to not being able to yield a single starter quality player in previous years. Most players drafted in prior years were annointed starters ONLY because there simply was not any starter level talent there to begin with. Not because players like Darron Lee had earned a starting spot but because the HOPE was they would turn out to be better players than what we currently had. It was truly changing out trash for trash on an annual basis.

I'm confident in saying we already know we've got a few decent players from the 2021 draft. AVT might be the very best player Douglas drafted? Elijah Moore is really starting to come on. I see a dynamic player in the making. Mike Carter is a real workhorse with all purpose yardage talent.

So don't be so ready to rip the Jets a new asshole on a daily basis. Believe it or not, I think this team is going to flip the script and start being much more competitive right off soon.....

#1 NYJ1970, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    dmw, King Koopa, barfolomew and 8 others like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

2030 or bust..

#2 Cman68, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving!

barfolomew and NYJ1970 like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

From Our Family of Losers to Yours... Happy Thanksgiving!

[​IMG]

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tangible success. I need it to believe things are looking up. Otherwise it's just blueprints.

barfolomew, Cman68, NYJ1970 and 2 others like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Blueprints is a huge leap over the drink stained napkins our previous GMs have used.

barfolomew, NCJetsfan and NYJ1970 like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At the moment, it really isn't.

Jonathan_Vilma and jets_fan like this.
  9. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Agree. Well said. Happy Turkey day to all you turkeys.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Cool picture