Too Positive vs Too Negative Jet Fans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DoomProphet, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bowles is 58 now. He better get that second chance fast.

I liked him a lot as a person but I thought he was ineffective as a head coach. He was just too nice and I never thought his players had any professional fear in their lives. Without that fear a guy had better be a freaking genius because his players are not at 100% effort most of the time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

This debate has been going on forever. Darksiders vs. Sunnysiders. Does Same Old Jets exist or is it just a figment of a collective imagination of a group of PTSD victims? Should you always be positive and upbeat about your team to be a "real fan" or does constant losing and repeating of the same mistakes and scenarios entitle you to be pissed?

I'm a proud Darksider. I have injected a little bit of reality into myself so that I don't just sit around in total despair OR give up on the team entirely and just lose interest in the sport. I have learned to at least try to learn what they're doing and understand the cap and the various idiosyncracies that go into it and why it's so important in a teams' existence - it helps with seeing their direction and understanding JUST how inept they are. Little bit of a longer term view and not so much "why didn't we win this week!!!!"

But by no means am I ever going to be a sunny guy about this team - until they win a championship. Then, the slate is clean. Until then, I'm from Missouri, motherfuckers. Show me. If you continue to be bad, make the same personnel decisions over and over and hardly ever show improvement, I'm going to continue to bash you, vent with others who feel this way, and condescendingly pat on the heads the younger guys who have hope and optimism. Aww, sonny, you're so cute. I was there once.

We wouldn't let our friends, and certainly not a stranger, continue to do the "fool me once" thing, we should be positive and upbeat about these guys? Nope. Ain't happening. I will watch every week, I will cry like a fucking BABY when/if they ever win (assuming I'm alive or coherent enough to understand what's going on), and I too have my own podcast where I live and die by this team every week - but I'm not going to be naive and say only positive things.

3. The_Darksider

Or at least creating new definitions of it.

4. Br4d

The Lions can blow chunks nearly silently for decades because there are only two rags in town.

The Browns have just the Plains-Dealer to deal with.

The Jets are in a media circus with multiple tabloids pulling up a clown car every week and disgorging dozens of bitching clowns on the backpages. Even the hinterlands of NJ add tabloid drama when they can penetrate the cloud of hopping, screeching seers in the Big Apple. And the horror of it all is that they're all right and they're all right every week.

Going from hopeless case to contender in this town is going to require a great silencer. Somebody who has such prestige that the tabloids can't get going and who is so good at redirecting their attention to him that the team gets the space to develop into a contender. In other words a Modern Parcells.

Cman68 and The_Darksider like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

For Jet Fans this ineptitude is like Life Imprisonment: The months grow into years ; the years reach a decade; the decades reach 100

There has to be a room in Canton to chronical the Longest Running Dumpster Fire Franchise in NFL history

Br4d likes this.
  6. The_Darksider

I agree about the media all the way, but I don't think it's going to be one person. I think the Jets will need to do what they haven't done for several regimes: ignore the pressure from the media and the fans, and stay the course. If it works, great. People will shut up and the pressure will be off. If it doesn't work, we'll be back where we've been so many times. But is this ownership capable of that? I fear not.

New York teams in general never rebuild properly because of that constant focus and scrutiny from outside forces. Which is why in today's sports world with free agency, salary caps, and win now or get out, most of the NY sports landscape is a wasteland of poorly-managed organizations. The ones that don't fit that category (Yankees, Devils???) have either great talent evaluators OR bottomless pockets. It's not a coincidence in my opinion that the Yankees have been just a good team and haven't really gone the distance since...right about the time money became an object. And the Devils fly under the radar because of the Rangers and the fact that they're in NJ and relatively "new" to the area and hence don't have as large a fan base. The rest of them, though - bad mistake after bad draft after bad GM - all of them.

7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

???? The Reggie version of the Yankees was pure $$$$

go get the 2 best players from the team that just won the word series 3 times in a row?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. The_Darksider

That was my point. Perhaps I worded it wrong , what I was saying was that the Yankees used to just spend spend spend, and they haven't been winning since they made money become an issue.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I could have written this word for word...

10. Br4d

The reason the Yankees are no longer great is that their farm system is no longer the best in baseball.

They produced Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Mariano Riviera, Andy Pettitte and Jorge Posada over a 5 year period from 1993 to 1997. 2 Hall of Famers and 3 guys who were just below them in overall talent.

Everybody looked at the big name acquisitions each year but the 5 guys up above were the heart of the Yankees for most of their great run of championships.

That group was extremely strong up the middle. C, SS, CF, SP, RP.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Wasn’t Parcells the guy who prompted Peyton Manning to go back to school for another year bc he wouldn’t promise Archie that Peyton would be the #1 pick in the ‘97 draft?

yes, let’s get another coach just like the one who set the franchise back 20 years by passing on the biggest sure thing to ever come out of college.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

made some hay with Jeter, Pettitte, Posada, and Rivera were drafted or signed as amateurs by the Yankees in the early 1990s

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

At dinner I said I was thankful I wasn't a fan of the Detroit Lions

See...it could actually be worse ;)

Brook!, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Hard to have a top farm system when you're winning 90+ every year. The system had a renaissance in the mid to late 2010's when Judge, Sanchez, and Severino emerged internally while Torres, Frazier, and Sheffield came via trades. That group has not lived up to the standards set by the Core Four and Bernie. More like Fab Five.

I am interested in the development of Volpe and Dominguez. And the new pitching coach comes from the Cleveland organization, who develop pitching like Hershey does chocolate. Maybe that means no need to spend 324 million on one pitcher for the foreseeable future.

Although I believe Cashman needs to be replaced after being the GM for almost 25 years, I like how he's not being complacent and willing to make changes.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Were you just too lazy to do it?

:p:p:p

Brook!, Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Seriously, you actually believe that Parcells set this franchise back 20 years? He actually made them competitive while he was here. The Johnson’s are the reason that we continually suck.

ouchy likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Since we are just fans who don't make any decisions regarding who is on the team, it is always better to be positive. It's better for your health than being negative.

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We could debate all day on who had the better career between Peyton Manning and James Farrior so let’s just agree to disagree and move on.

Noam likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In the end, simply making them competitive isn't good enough. Parcels fucked our cap situation for close to a decade by back-loading Curtis and Vinny's contracts and in the end it was all for a lost AFCC and a perpetual black eye from Belichick.

It was fun while it was happening but you have to wonder if it was worth it.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh, he also set the team on a successful path with his work as a GM and the people he brought in to work throughout the franchise. Certainly wasn’t good enough, but the Jets likely don’t go to the playoffs 6/10 years in the 2000’s if he doesn’t come here in 1997.

papapump and ouchy like this.