Jets 2022 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 3, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Feels like February already.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

That would be a kindness.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Do you think the Jets make the playoffs by 2030?

4. MaximusD163

Ha c’mon C’man, you know I do. Even the Browns managed to snap their playoff drought after 18 years. I’m sure the Jets can do it before 20….

Brook!, NYJFOREVER and Cman68 like this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Who knows what the future holds but I'm starting to think they won't hahaha.

Our roster seems to get worse during every subsequent "rebuild"

Brook! likes this.
  6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Great job, Maximus!

Looking at the players under 2022 contracts, I, for one, am heartened to read in Over the Cap that the Jets will have $51+M to spend in 2022 free agency, and that's even before likely cuts. Just cutting Shaq Lawson, Van Roten, and Griffin from your projected roster will add $15.5M to the 51.5M cap.

The only big salary players I think we resign as free agents are Fatukasi, possibly LDT, and either Crowder or Cole, depending on how they want to use Moore. I've thought of Moore as a slot WR but the stats are that he's been more productive outside.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the worst thing the Jets can do is try to pigeon hole a position for Moore. He’s a playmaker and should be used as such. The Packers throw Davante Adams in the slot all the time and just put him in the best spot to get open.

I feel like early on, the staff was trying to figure out is he an X, Z, S, etc. Just run the kid out there to run the best routes on his tree and he’s going to make plays.

FJF, apjbfc, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  8. MaximusD163

Every year there is some vague statement that a chunk of the fan base aggressively latches onto. Play Le’Veon Bell as a WR! Run more play action! Play Elijah Moore in the slot!

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Moore was primarily a slot WR in college, and was more effective there, and did most of his damage from the slot. I think it's those who insist on playing Moore outside who are latching onto some phrase or statement.

10. MaximusD163

I think you can play him all over. I’m pretty sure the last 4 games proves that

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

X Factor did a piece a week or so ago showing stats that indicated Moore has been much more effective when lined up outside than when in the slot.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I think he can be played all over too. I just like him better as a slot WR. I don't like short outside WRs.

13. MaximusD163

Why?

14. NCJetsfan

They present too small a target and make smaller windows for the QB. Taller, more physical WRs give a competitive advantage over smaller CBs. At best it's no advantage either way, but often you're at a disadvantage, especially because you've lost a significant height advantage. They're also less productive in the red zone.

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I really hope they bring back Crowder. He's such a good player and a bargain at the money he's making. I even like what Cole brings and would brig him back. I'd like to see how the next few games go, but as of now I like this group of receivers and its potential overall. It's TE where they really need to find a way to upgrade. If one of Goedert, Gesicki or Schultz get free it might be worth spending for unless there are some good TE targets on Day 2 (pretty sure there aren't any top-flight prospects in 2022?).

Pepsiguy5, apjbfc and Jets79 like this.
  16. MaximusD163

But they also can produce more separation and be more explosive. Don’t you think it’s best to have a variety of body types and skill sets? That allows you to take advantage of whichever matchup the defense is most vulnerable against.

MoWilkBeast and Jets79 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I didn't say anything about not having a variety of body types or skill sets. That's a straw man argument. I love Moore, and he can be used inside or outside when a favorable matchup presents itself, but most of the time, I'd rather have him in the slot. He may have done more of his damage on the outside so far, but that can be due to playcalling.

ouchy likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

You literally said “I don’t like small receivers.” And I don’t even know what you mean about playcalling.. are you trying to say that the most productive rookie receiver in the last 5 weeks is being held back because he’s being used outside instead of in the slot full time?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Steve Smith was “too small” too. The only time size matters a ton is when receivers are too slow to create separation (ala DeAndre Hopkins who absolutely bodies cornerbacks and eats up catches).

Size doesn’t matter as much when a receivers feet are as quick as Moore’s are.

abyzmul likes this.
  20. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I think most fans can agree with the idea of lining up Moore in whatever position (slot or WR) the matchups dictate. After all, both Steve Smith and Antonio Brown were moved around some, and I think there's no reason Moore can't be as productive as they were if put in positions to succeed (and if the quarterbacking improves, of course!:confused:).

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.