Report: Zach Wilson to start vs Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Nov 23, 2021.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The last month of his rookie season, Darnold was the top rated QB in the NFL.... I thought we finally found the guy. Mono, Gase and Ghosts proved that the curse of Joe Willie has infinite powers....

Ptflea2, MoWilkBeast, FJF and 5 others like this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, and we have to look at the positive. The Jets recognized an issue and made a move to try and address it. They are committed to developing Zach and giving him support. This is a good thing.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Things WERE looking up at that point. Oh well.

4. DoomProphet

DoomProphet New Member

This would be the best time to start Zach, vs Texans terrible D.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I remember (somehow) when the Jets lost to New England at our home opener I kept screaming on the way out "The Curse of Joe Namath strikes again!".

That curse is real and anybody who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

FJF and cval like this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah looking back that 2nd year with Gase. We just destroyed Sam. That was the year where it got so bad we couldn't even snap him the ball reliably, the offensive line was beyond disastrous, no receivers to throw to, and Gase would all too often never give Sam a chance on 1st or 2nd down then leave him in 3rd and long with not only no tools, but no margin for error.

At least Wilson has never been, nor hopefully ever will be, subjected to anything like that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

nice! I just recently relocated to Austin for work (from LA)

liking Austin quite a bit so far….

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well the conditions for Zack's first 6 games weren't much better. At least he didn't have to deal with Gase and Patton Oswalt. His injury was a blessing in disguise - or maybe it was a "manufactured" to give everyone a chance to save face while they gave ack a "time out". In any case it was a much needed break for him. Hopefully he's been able to watch, learn, and regroup, but no one should expect the Second Coming of Peyton Manning. And the Jet's OL and game calling had better be up to the task of giving him a chance to succeed, or we'll be right back to square 1.

Brook! and Jets79 like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He fucked himself by not learning, unlike Allen who has the same coach, went away and learned how to be an accurate QB, it is hard to feel sorry for folks who are unwilling to help themselves first.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

After seeing what this offense Is capable of with the "backups". Wilson really has no excuse, I get he's a rookie, but blaming the parts around him at this point just doesn't make sense to me anymore. We can upgrade some of the talent on the offensive side of the ball but we clearly have weapons, our OL has been playing much better, It's been proven that this offense can look really good. Just needs to happen now with Wilson under center.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I partially agree, but only partially. The Jets had Crowder and Mims, but Sam seemed to never see Mims, whereas Flacco did. The last half of the season, the OL got a lot better. Most of Sam's and the Jets' problems stemmed from Sam's inability to read Ds, process quickly, make good decisions and then get the ball out quickly and accurately. His footwork was awful he'd make terrible decisions. He ruined the Jets as much as they ruined him.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We have to wait for him to form a hard crysalis over his skin and metamorph into the golden god of QBs.

I mean right now he's just in his junior form, like Prince Adam for He-Man or Hot Rod for Rodimus Prime or a blobfish for Mark Davis.

Pretty soon in a few years he will crack out of that shell and be like a real life Flash Gordon, only years later he won't do a movie with that Boston cunt Mark Wahlberg.

13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Wrong year but the way I typed it was misleading. 2nd year for Darnold. 1st year for Gase.

That was the year where Sam just got destroyed, couldn't snap the ball to him, often the pass rush arrived simultaneously with the ball etc.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My point - whether you agree or not - is that by the time the backups got to play, the OL was starting to gel, the CS had had a chance to learned which players could do what, and LaFleur had learned some things too.

I'm not giving Wilson a free pass. He made mistakes, but most of them were typical rookie mistakes, and he made more of them as he encountered more pressure from some very good defenses. But Zack was the first to say "I need to do better", and he does. Let's hope he does.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Why are we only 2.5 underdogs away? (NYJs 2-8 ATS 2021)

Vegas must suspect the Jets are bringing it bad to mighty Texans lol

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

interesting but we can pretty much say the same for Zach so far….he’s held on to the ball too long, hasn’t been able to read defenses, and his short ball accuracy has been terrible. Granted he’s a rookie so not really unexpected. I’m hoping the time off and the chance to watch White and Flacco play within the offense helps him, and I hope we see a much improved Zach. The weapons may not be best in the league, but I think we have enough with Moore, Crowder, Davis, and it sucks that Carter is out but Coleman and Johnson are adequate at RB. Our TEs suck balls but even still, we have decent weapons. Our OL has gotten better. No fucking excuses. Zach needs to play better. I want to see at least 60% accuracy and I want to see quick throws, take what’s there with the short stuff, hit Moore in stride…we need to see that he can do it.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Overall, I agree, but the bold makes it seem like Zach hasn't been able to read defenses at all, and that is simply not true. The Jets wouldn't have beaten Tennessee, Zach would have been able to call good audibles, or make some of the throws he did if he couldn't read defenses. He struggled at times, and was good at it at times. He definitely needs to play better, and I believe that he will. He may not do it immediately on Sunday, but by the end of the season for certain, I believe that he will be doing all those things.

The key for me, however, is how LaFleur calls the game. Does he revert to the way he called the game the first 6 games when Zach was playing, and attempt to attack weak spots in the secondary in the first quarter, or will he treat Zach like he did White and Johnson, giving them short easy throws to get them in a rhythm, the offense in sync, and moving, and build their confidence?

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Definitely. I agree. I was just more or less saying, the past Is the past, we know where we've been. We see where this thing can go. Now, let's see It with, Wilson. He's seen what It should look like as well, he has far more talent than the other QB's. It's time to put It all together now. No more excuses, time to get It done. If that makes sense?

19. Jetsin2029

Jetsin2029 Member

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster